Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Our vacation rental in Maine

I’m writing this post in rather a hurry, because it’s Tuesday morning,  I’ve got to get to work and I woke up and realized I hadn’t written a post last night. I wanted to share some photos with you, showing the vacation rental cottage where we stayed in Maine last week.

The house is located on Paul Bunyan Road, just north of the seaside town of Corea and I found it on Homeaway.com.

 

DSC_0331 copy 2

It looks beautiful here, all nestled in the trees along the shore.

 

DSC_0263 copy 2

This is the view from the driveway of the back of the house and the entry door. The grounds have been beautifully landscaped.

 

DSC_0261 copy 2

Looking from the other side of the house, this area is used by the family for outdoor meals. The kitchen is to the right and just around the corner on the left is an area that houses a grill and a lobster steamer. The building on the left isn’t available to renters (yet) and houses an extra apartment upstairs, I believe.

 

DSC_0259 copy 2

A bit of a disappointment, I guess, was how close the neighbors were. To my back, through the woods, was another house. We could hear and see them and all the work they were having done on their home. But it really wasn’t a big deal. (To me).

Here’s the link for photos inside. You aren’t going to believe this, but I didn’t get any inside photos. I like to take them as soon as we arrive, when the house is not full of our things, but it didn’t work out that way this time.

Oceanfront Chalet on Schoodic Peninsula

 

DSC_0386 copy 2

Standing on the staircase, looking into the living room and the incredible view out the windows here.

 

DSC_0387 copy 2

I loved this view!

 

DSC_0272 copy 2

It’s difficult to see here, but just to the left of the trees is the Petit Manan Lighthouse. Next year, I swear – I am going on a lighthouse tour from the water.

 

DSC_0283 copy 2

I tried to get a little closer here. But take note of all the lobster buoys. I hope I spelled that correctly. There are so many!

 

DSC_0443 copy 2

Our view from the porch having our morning coffee. Absolutely blissful.

I also took a short video below, at the water’s edge.

 

.

And here is someone playing with his new Scary Bird. He loved jumping from the porch to retrieve the little sucker.

Over and over and over and . . .

.

Bottom line: We probably would not stay here again, because of the close proximity of the neighbors and the fact that there was really nowhere to walk the dog. Although the road is fairly quiet, and I thought it would be a good place for a walk, some of the cars were absolutely flying down it, so we nixed that plan quickly.

Well, better get to work. Hope everything is spelled correctly and that the grammar is correct here. Have a beautiful day, all . . .

123 Signature

25 comments:

Reena said...

It all looks so lovely ... loved hearing the lapping waves.
I agree though, seeing and hearing neighbors would not be of my liking. But oh .... the views!
And the lobster and the lobster and the lobster!

trump said...

Another very good post, and you did this on the run. I should do a post this well while taking my time,lol. Richard from Amish Stories.

A New England Life said...

What a wonderful view, and George really does like his new bird doesn't he! I'd have to say though, I probably wouldn't stay there again either with such close neighbors and the sound of construction. My husband might not be bothered but I would be.

Loved hearing your laugh, Kate!

Roberta Warshaw said...

I have had both good luck and bad luck with Home Away. We found a place in the Berkshires that we really love. We have been going there now for 4 years and will go back next year. That was the good luck one.
The bad one was so bad we left early. It was in Maine, like yours. On a place called Deer Isle. The pictures shown online were lovely. But we made the mistake of not looking at it first. The house itself was really nice. Inside. Outside it was on the main road going onto the island. Traffic was non stop all day long. Big trucks, little trucks, lots of motorcycles etc. But worse than that was the new house being erected not ten feet from our door. The people were doing the work themselves so it was all day, every day. It was so noisy we couldn't stay home at all. One of the things we like to do when away is sit and "rusticate". That was not to be.
I know people can't control their neighbors but I specifically asked if there was construction nearby and the landlords lied and said no. It was the worst vacation ever.
But the house in the Berkshires is sublime. With our own pool no less. Now that is "rusticating"!
The one take away I learned is always go see the place first. Even if it is a long drive.

Daryl said...

Lovely .. since you are usually out and about during the day I cant imagine the noise of the renovations would be a problem .. was it quiet at night? Whatever .. I hope you do take the lighthouse tour by water what fun and what photos you'd get .. and did A take home any of those lobsta bouys?

Nurse Nancy said...

Loved watching George play. Hope you had some playtime too. Thanks for sharing.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Love the view, especially with the lobster buoys! I will still keep saying... try Harpswell one time! :)

The JR said...

Lobsters in all those traps. How cruel to be so close and yet so far away from them....

George is a fantastic boy.

Anonymous said...

Aww, shucks. Sorry about the location and proximity to the neighbors. Some things just can't be known when booking a place for a vacation. George still looked happy though... toss, fetch, toss, fetch. How well my arm knows that game!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

The setting looks great -- too bad it wasn't all you expected. Looks like George has you well trained!!!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Too bad about the neighbours, but at least the setting is idyllic and George seems to have been enjoying himself.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Even though the neighbors were close the view is spectacular! Hope you were able to relax and escape the renovation noise.

Mary said...

Oh, to be that close to the water -- how wonderful! I would not want those close neighbors, though...

And how wonderful to see George in action. I totally see where Scary Bird gets it's name! Nice to hear your voice, too. :)
xoxo

Unknown said...

So very glad that you had the chance to relax!....but glad you are back too....smiles.

Country Gal said...

Awesome post and photos . It looks lovely there my kind of place ! Have a great day !

Brandy Marie said...

Looks like you had a relaxing trip in a gorgeous setting! Beautiful pictures. _B

Jeanne Walker said...

Lovely view and awesome dog! Loved listening to the ripple of the waves and angry bird's cry for help! I know how it is to be disappointed in a vacation spot. We bought a motorhome so that we could 'stay in the woods'...but it was too big to stay in the vast majority of state parks and the national parks were not much better. They believe in packing 'em...the more the better...the better the money. I cannot even tell you that I have a favorite campsite...totally disappointed! Hopefully you can get started earlier this next year and get a really awesome cabin before the good ones are taken! Cannot wait to see where we are going with you tomorrow!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Always, always wanted to go to Maine in the fall to see the leaves. Haven't made it there yet though.
Brenda

mrs mediocrity said...

Great views, but yes, that would bother me as well, I like seclusion, especially on vacation. Hope you had a good time just the same, I have always wanted to visit a lighthouse.

JaneK said...

you know, Kate, if you don't have your spelling and grammar down, I may have to stop visiting :) you are too funny.... thanks for even posting at all given that you were rushing. I am loving the photos and dreaming of my own Maine vacation someday.....

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

It all looks so peaceful.

And funny how pictures don't tell the whole "picture" when you're looking at rentals.

Lili said...

Enjoyed those videos Kate! The one with George must have been on one of the cooler days. Oh I still can't believe they didn't even have a fan there!! xo ~Lili

GailO said...

Oh but that view! I think I could ignore some neighbors if I had that view:) The house is cute too!

There are neighbors at the house we stay at too...but I can't complain as we get to use the house for free:)

xoxo
Gail

geetlee said...

Oh, how I love George!
I keep telling my husband that when we get a pet it should be a border collie :)

Anonymous said...

Been out of town and catching up on your life. Maine looks so beautiful! We keeps saying we're going to go there one year. Too bad about how close the neighbors were, but the view is do die for!