Thursday, September 4, 2014

I could have been a sailor; could have been a cook

Those lyrics are from an old Nick Drake song that I was listening to while editing one of the photos on this post. Actually, I was listening to much of the Garden State soundtrack which also includes an old tune from Simon & Garfunkle that I love. 

Yesterday I found some volunteer morning glories growing up one of the old bushes on the property. Long-time readers of this blog may remember that my husband would plant morning glories and moonflowers every year along one side of the garden fence line. My husband was the gardener here, not me. And although I know a little about vegetable gardening, and have had them in the past, I just don’t have the time for it right now. So no garden this year. No garden last year either.

But it sure was a nice surprise to see those morning glories yesterday evening . . .

 

DSC_3107 copy 2

It was growing dusk, but I upped the ISO and managed to capture a couple of pretty images.

 

DSC_3123 copy 2

I love when they look like this.

 

 

DSC_3111 copy 2

And climbing vines.

 

 

DSC_3042 copy 2

And a little hummer thrown in for good measure.

 

:   :   :

 

That’s all I’ve got for today, folks.

I’ll try and post something else on the weekend ~

Hope you enjoy yours!

123 Signature[5]

23 comments:

Cloudia said...

Messengers of the ineffable;

Ineffable message beautifully delivered.





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3


Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...


Lovely!!!! Simon and Garfunkel...oh the memories!!!

Linda Kay said...

I can almost hear your music in my mind. The pictures are lovely, and the humming bird...awesome.

Sweetpea said...

No matter how you are feeling, CG, your posts are always filled with hope and promise.

I have learned much from you.

Perhaps YOU are about to unfurl? [sorry, couldn't resist ...]

xo Christi
p.s. "Hi George"

Tiggeriffic said...

Don't do my blog anymore but I do look on my favorite blogs..
I love morning glories..Hummers just love a drink from these flowers.. I have several hummingbirds and they are so fun to watch..
Just love all your pictures~!
One more day and you can enjoy your 2 days off from school.
ta ta for now from Iowa:)

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Kate:
I always enjoy popping in to see your latest camera captures. They always make me smile. I hope you have a great weekend, girlfriend.
xo
Donna

Bluebird49 said...

I do remember your husband planting morning glories! A little message of hope, of love, of remembrance, perhaps?
Last post, it was 'mourning (dove)', and now---in 3 days --- you've jumped to 'morning (glory)'. Hmmm, how very interesting---truly glorious, too!

I surely love this blog. :)

Artful Gathering said...

Lovely post. Enjoy your weekend.

Daryl said...

i still miss my morning glories, i always had the heavenly blue ones .. the begonias this summer are looking less like they'll be blooming til October as they did last year .. and i am always glad when i see you pop up in my email xo

thotlady said...

Beautiful, love the hummer.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh your flowers are such a DELIGHT - and your hummer is Exquisite!!! Hope your Weekend is Wonderful!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love that intense purple of the morning glory - we really can't grow them this far North in the UK sadly.

Lisa Gordon said...

Kate, these photographs are just beautiful!
Have a great weekend.

Sabrina Steyling said...

Simply beautiful <3

Hilary said...

Beautiful pictures and reminders that the power of love never dies. Tender taps on the shoulder like these must be so welcomed.

Snap said...

Beautiful, beautiful! Oh, September! A new beginning for some and the beginning of the end for others ... I'm looking for the end of summer and the beginning of fall! Tired of humidity and heat!
Hugs--

Tracey Grumbach said...

Love, love, love morning glories! What a sweet reminder that your husband is still there with you. xo

DesertHen said...

Lovely! The flowers here are coming to an end!

Debbie From Illinois said...

Lovely, just lovely.

Susan Moorhead said...

Lovely flowers with a treat of a hummingbird.

countrynmore said...

Gorgeous photos. It is just breathtaking.

sharon said...

morning glories are so dainty and delicate looking fits right in with the hummingbird. Reminds me of the song by Seals and Croft...Humming Bird don't fly away

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos as always ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !