Sunday, December 21, 2014

Images from my cell phone, among other things

It’s Sunday morning as I write and I have a list of errands and chores to do today, culminated by a cookie exchange late this afternoon. All of the husbands will be watching the game out in the refurbished garage/game room and all of us womenfolk will be partying it up in the house. I still have to pack for Florida (we leave early Tuesday morning) and tomorrow will be dropping George off to stay with my good friends, Jeff & Karen, over in NJ. I’m also picking up my son, who is back from Stockholm, at the train station in Philadelphia.

I am moving kind of slow this morning. I had one glass of wine too many last night (did I just say that out loud?) and truth be told, I really don’t drink much anymore. But it’s the holiday season and all, you know, and the wine seems to help in the creativity department because last night I wrapped all the little gifts I have for people and when I woke up this morning, they look pretty beautiful. Ha! Oh, the things I am saying out loud this morning . . .

The images you see below were all taken this week with my cell phone. Because I always have it with me.

 

20141216_071205 copy 2

Heading out to the car on a cold and foggy morning.

 

20141217_070650 copy 2

Same scene the next day, only it was much colder that morning.

I will say it again – I love this property where I live.

 

20141217_072534 copy 2

The sky on the way to work. My husband told me once that he thought he might want to be buried in this cemetery and here’s why: So that when I drove to work, I would always think of him. The cemetery is right around the corner from the school.

First of all, I think of him all the time. And secondly, I really don’t like this cemetery. He is in a much better place.

 

20141217_161144 copy 2

As I was leaving work one day, the sun had come out and was shining on the cupola on the top of the building. I thought it looked beautiful. I was pretty far away though, and the photo is pretty grainy but still – pretty.

 

20141219_104613_LLS copy 2

My favorite day of the year at our school is not the first day or the last day. It’s the day before Christmas Break when we all gather in the lobby to sing carols around the tree. The school has doubled in size since I started working there 16 years ago and we have to sing in two shifts and are thinking of going to three. This is the first shift – the lower school. Parents join in, alumni return, and it’s a tradition that everyone loves. I took the photo using the night mode (no flash) on my cell phone.

 

20141221_082509_LLS copy 2

I took this photo just now from where I’m sitting in my living room and used night mode again.

It’s gray again this morning and this room has always been dark.

 

candycane

Photo by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

I made these cookies yesterday and didn’t take a photo of them so I’m borrowing one from The Pioneer Woman’s site. Each year that I’ve been attending this cookie exchange, I’ve brought a different cookie and this year I wanted to try these. They are a chocolate round, dipped in melted almond bark and then sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies. They are a little time-consuming but are pretty yummy although my son and I thought the chocolate cookie part was a bit dry. Still good, though.

I won’t be taking my laptop with me to Florida so if you don’t hear from me for another week, this is why. I’ve never been anywhere other than the cold North during the holiday so this will sure be different. And it will be good to be with my sons and my husband’s parents and two other relatives who are coming on Christmas Day.

Hope you have a peaceful holiday. I’ll be back next week ~

Oh my gosh! The sun just came out!

123 Signature[5]

19 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Those two identical photos are just like it was here earlier this week.

Snap said...

Have a marvelous time!

Sheila said...

Merry Christmas, have a beautiful holiday in Florida!

Devon said...

I love the misty morning picture... you live in such a beautiful place!

I remember years ago you posted a picture of the outside of the school you work at and it reminded me of Hogworts... it seems like a great place to work.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family!!!

jinxxxygirl said...

Gosh girl love your cell phone photos! Especially the foggy one. Something about fog. i just love it. Everything just seems hushed and quiet. Here in CA we often see fingers of fog coming up over the mountains. Its just amazing to see.

You know i have to admit at first glance i thought those were cows out in the pasture and not tombstones... after i read cemetery i went back and looked..yep tombstones...lol

I love the pictures at your school and everyone gathered to sing songs...lovely . And grainy or not thats a beautiful shot of the cupola.......

Love your bookcase full of photos. Must keep that in mind for the next house. Too many photos sit in albums unseen....... :)

Cookies! I made the peanut blossoms this year ...peanut butter cookie with a chocolate kiss on top. They always get great reviews.. Yours look yummy!

Have a wonderful time in Florida. I like snow for Christmas...In Tx all the guys went and played golf...sigh..just not Christmas without snow! lol See ya when you get back. Hugs! deb

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos and oh boy do those cookies ever look YUMMY ! No snow for us this year for Christmas it is to be raining and a temp of 50F both Wed and Thursday so a green mild Christmas for us this year . Hope you have a wonderful time in Florida and we wish you and your family a safe and Merry Christmas !

Gail said...


Enjoy your week!

Lisa Gordon said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, and a bright and beautiful New Year, Kate.

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Kerri Farley said...

Wishing you safe travels and a Very Merry Christmas!!

Debbie From Illinois said...

Merry Christmas! Hope you have a wonderful time in Florida .

Cloudia said...

Palm Trees for christmas. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I love your photos, and going through them with you. Feels almost like shooting them together.

All the Best to you and yours!

*Please do shoot some photos of 30th St station for me - even if from outside. I know you will see/show something I haven't seen in decades.



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3
Christmas Flute [me playing] https://soundcloud.com/icloudia/holidays



DesertHen said...

Merry Christmas to you, your sons and George! Have a lovely trip! Your photos are beautiful as always!

Sabrina Steyling said...

Beautiful photos! Have fun in Florida, and Merry Christmas!

Hedy King said...

Hope you and your boys have a wonderful Christmas with the in-laws. As a child, our family spent the holidays in Florida occasionally, we always enjoyed the break from the cold. What a blessing you all will be for those grandparents this year. Enjoy, Hedy

thotlady said...

Merry Christmas Kate. Give George a hug for me.

Daryl said...

have a very sunny christmas .. travel safe .. eat/drink and be merry a lot … xox

Carolynn Anctil said...

It looks like you're having a lovely holiday season. Enjoy your Christmas in warmer climes. It's different, to be sure, but in the end it's all about the company you keep.

Much love to you!
Carolynn
A Glowing Ember

jo said...

Have a very Merry Christmas, Kate, and here's hoping 2015 with be a wonderful year for all of us.

beth said...

i hope you're having the best warm break ever!!!

and you know what i believe? that he knows you are always thinking of him!!!

merry bleated christmas sweet girl….xoxo