Sunday, September 13, 2015

Hello it’s me

It’s been a decent weekend and today’s weather has been fairly glorious. I woke to chilly temperatures, enough to warrant a light jacket while enjoying my coffee outside on the patio. I took my time waking up, knowing that come tomorrow, it’s back to work and a busy week ahead.

 

DSC_9528 copy 2

I found some wild morning glories growing in some weeds on the property and snapped this with my macro lens and my trusty Nikon.

 

IMG_0343 (1)

And I baked an apple pie. I never thought of myself as an actual cook but there are some things that I make that don’t require me reading a recipe. This pie is one of them. And hot damn, it is delicious. Recipe here:

{favorite apple pie}

 

And because it felt so much like fall today, I roasted a chicken.

RoastedHerbChicken750-624x708

image courtesy taste love and nourish

This is a fabulous and easy recipe. I made a separate dish of roasted vegetables using tiny little yellow potatoes, onions, and carrots. And I made gravy for the first time in my life. I am in my late 50’s and I’ve never made gravy before. It was excellent and I can’t believe how easy it was. Jeez Louize. Here’s the recipe:

{Roasted Herbs de Provence Chicken}

 

Ok, now. Everybody who knows me in real life (and maybe even here on this blog) knows that I’m an Outlander fan. I love the books, the Starz show on TV, and I’m missing it dreadfully. I can’t believe I have to wait until early spring 2016 for the next season to begin. A friend took pity on me, recommending a historical drama on PBS that she thought might be up my alley.

And oh my gosh . . . it is. It’s no Outlander, and Ross Poldark is no Jamie Fraser but he’s a good man and this is a beautifully filmed production. The title character returns to England after nearly dying while fighting against the American rebels during the Revolutionary War. He finds his home in shambles and the woman he loves engaged to another. As he begins to rebuild his life, facing almost insurmountable obstacles, he finds love where he least expects it.

The scenery is exquisite and it’s filmed against the rugged and beautiful backdrop of Cornwall’s coastline. Highly recommend this series, although I’m only on season 1, episode 4. I’ve been watching it here: {Poldark}

 

IMG_0338

And lastly, I have a new favorite drink. It’s called a Moscow Mule.

Pour a little vodka over ice, then splash on some ginger beer and top with a squirt of lime.

Delicious ~

 

123 Signature[5]

23 comments:

Cloudia said...

Am taking notes on ALL this! Except that I beat you to POLDARK. Ha Ha. I also watched the previous TV edition decades back.








ALOHA
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=


Hilary said...

My mother was stationed in Cornwall in the English Army during WWII........she talked about it often. One of the things on my bucket list is to spend some time there.

Annie said...

Loved your post. Full of fun, great pictures, and a link to an "Outlander-like" show. Gives me something to watch while we're all locked inside - wildfire smoke is bad in CA. Can't wait for all that great Fall food - apple pie and roasted chicken - yum.

Jan said...

I love Poldark ! I have the DVDs and I'm enjoying rewatching Season one because PBS cut out a little bit from each episode they televised. There are other shows I'd like to watch so I tried that link you use for Poldark. It said I had to be in the UK . What did you do to get it to work?

Blondie's Journal said...

My husband is a big fan of history--his current reading is about the Revolutionary War so I am so excited to tell him about this show Thank you!

Totally love making pies...apple most of all. I have several favorite pie crusts and one dough that you can freeze. Yeah...great to throw together for an impromptu dinner that needs a dessert, or a dessert to bring, well anywhere. Let me know if you'd like it. You were on a cooking whirlwind this weekend but I think fall brings that side of us out. I write a lifestyle column for a newspaper so I'm doing the fall thing (baking, decorating, blah, blah, blah...) well before anyone else does. Working on pumpkin pies and gravy now! lol!

Take care...good to see you posting more...you are fun.

Jane

alphabet soup said...

Ah, the return of the morning glory. And that apple pie!! I'm really hungry and had to skip past that photo really quickly.

Ms Soup

The Weaver of Grass said...

What a lovely upbeat post today! The pie and the chicken look scrumptious. That morning glory is lovely - we are a bit far North to grow it successfully here but the blue is heavenly isn't it?

Country Girl said...

I have no idea how I got the link to work . . . it just did. Weird.

Debbie From Illinois said...

Kate, this is such a perfect post, so much goodness. All it that is missing is George. Lol! Have a great week.

JaneK said...

Ok, now I'm hungry :-)
Looks like a weekend well spent!

jinxxxygirl said...

So glad to hear from you! I'm waiting to start the Outlander series (books) I need to the first two hard back books.. I've managed to collect the rest at second hand book stores but no body seems to have the first two..uuughh... or if i do find them they want an arm AND a leg... If i can just get my hands on them i think the series will make wonderful winter reading this year in front of my new fireplace... :) Hugs! deb

thotlady said...

I am also a huge Outlander fan, so I will take a look at this series. The drink sounds delightful and refreshing. I will try it also!

Daryl said...

hello you!

that pie looks yum ... and i might have to try that drink ... i refuse to subscribe to STARZ but i did love the Outlander books ... i might try Poldark, as its been around a while and still seems to be gathering steam ... xo

Missy June said...

I'm going to try Poldark this evening! Thanks!

Country Gal said...

I loved both series Out Lander and Poldark . I have relatives in Cornwall England it is a lovely area . Oh my that pie looks YUMMY ! Glad you are doing well and all is good , Lovely photos give George a big hug from us , Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

beth said...

thought i should clear up the misconception here….as YOU ARE A COOK and A BAKER and i'm jealous!

Sabrina Steyling said...

A coworker of mine recommended Poldark to me, but I haven't started watching it yet - I actually just recently stumbled upon a new (to me) British series called Last Tango in Halifax which I am in love with!

That morning glory is..well, glorious! And your chicken and pie photos made me drool. Yum!

Have a great week!

abb said...

That pie and chicken look incredibly delicious! So does that Moscow Mule! What a pretty drink! xo

Smalltowngiggles said...

Don't you just love fall. My favorite time of the year.

thotlady said...

I finished watching Poldark. Now I must wait for Season 2. It was a good series. I like that time period. Although it was pre-penicillin. There is that!

Pepper Medley said...

Thank you for posting the link to watch Poldark. I spent a few days watching all 8 episodes and can't wait to see if there is another season.

WPgirl said...

The food looks delicious. Hope all is well.
Lynda in Michigan

thecatalanway said...

I have just read this one again and realised I didnt comment the first time. I know I intended to so I must have been interrupted. That is what life is like at the moment - good intentions and lots of lost threads.
Anyway, I am so glad you are enjoying Poldark. Did you know this is where I live? This is the beautiful place we have come back to.

They have been filming for the next series. I havent seen them but I know they have been down on some local beaches and calling for extras.

Right now it is raining, as it often does in Cornwall, and I am awake because the metal roof is noisy in the rain. But at least it gave me the chance to come back and read your blog in peace.

Hope all is well with you lovely Kate

Kate x