Thursday, December 28, 2017

Christmas greetings

Hello, my friends. For those who have been reading this blog, you'll know that for the past several years I've been spending my Christmas in Florida visiting with my in-laws with my sons. I've just returned home today to temperatures in the teens after spending a beautiful week of sun-filled warm days. It was heavenly.

I met a lovely couple during my flight home and we chatted for a bit and showed each other our dog photos. I missed George terribly and he was ecstatic to have me return home.

(Hello to Bill and Peggy from the flight. Hope you have a wonderful visit with your family).



These photos were all taken at the Venice Rookery, which remains my favorite place to photograph Great Blue Herons while they nest and raise their young. The nesting area is on a small island in the middle of a lake and photographers come from all over to capture their images.




I tried to get a better photo of this couple as they went back and forth getting food for their young and greeting each other during each return but oh well. I am only there for such a short time and every year I say that I need a better lens. And I need to bring my tripod. You should see the gear these photographers bring. I have serious lens envy.




These were all shot with my Nikon D7000 using a Nikkor 70-300 lens. I've had it for years and the darn thing sticks sometimes and won't auto-focus. But I make do. Unfortunately, I lose some key shots because of this problem.




I find it so pleasurable just being still with my camera and watching these beautiful birds.




Here, a nestling is being fed by its parent. There are several more in the nest but you can't see them.

But I could hear them. They are so loud!




Here a nestling stretches its wings on this beautiful day.

You can see some others in the background.




The male brings much of the nesting material to the female who then proceeds to build the nest. 




They are such graceful birds.




I went at a difficult time, as the sun was quite glaring. I fixed what I could with editing but still . . . I am my own worst critic.




I hope that your holidays were pleasant. 

I find Christmas difficult to get through sometimes as do some of you, I'm sure.

I'll be posting more as I go through my files and hopefully it will be soon ~

Thank you again for all your lovely comments.

Until next time, my friends ~


Share

15 comments:

joeh said...

Beautiful bird!

The Furry Gnome said...

Some wonderful pictures there! Glad you got to be with family for Christmas.

Michelle said...

Lovely photos from you as always! Can't imagine what you would do with better lens and a tripod! Where did George stay?

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

gorgeous photos! WOw! I just got a new zoom for my Canon - looking forward to temps that are tolerable to go outside and use it!

Debbie From Illinois said...

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos. We are headed to Florida for a few weeks. We need to escape the bone chilling temps from the frozen Midwest. :-) Happy New Year!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely to read your blog again - it seems so long since I caught it.
Hope life is going well for you. I am still picking up the pieces but with the help of friends and family I am getting there.

Hilary said...

Good to see your photos, and to hear your voice....I imagine I can, ya know. Yes, holidays can be tough.....but a new year is coming, and we are always hopeful, right?

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm always happy to see you post. You write from the heart. George is a guy I'll never forget-he's your BFF, just as my Milo is.

Your shots of the blue heron are spectacular. I live on a lake in Southwest Michigan, and we have quite few. We had some damage to our home and missed two summer in a row. Hence, many birds and wildlife took up comfortable residence. The proximity of the herons on our shoreline and beach was incredible. Try as I might to get photos (I have an older Canon Rebel), my dog's barking when I left the house would scare them away once I walked out the door. I'm still getting a lot of wildlife; huge turtles the size of a car tire, mink, muskrat, raccoons, opossum, owls, flying squirrels, and the occasional coyote. They definitely sense when there are no people. Now that we've been back, it's so interesting to spot them.

I miss your posts. How is George? He's such a mainstay for you-at least I see that. My Milo was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. He's getting chemo. It's a very difficult time. He's my guy-I can't do anything but grab every day and get more time.

Thanks for an ear. I'm glad you had a great Christmas!

Jane x

mary said...

Beautiful photos, Kate. You have a talent! Wishing you a happy new year ahead!

Daryl said...

i never use my Nikon .. and i have a 300MM Nikon lens i would happily give you ...

Cloudia said...

FABULOUS! Happy New Year

Unknown said...

Oh,Kate!!!! What beautiful lovely photos! I LOVE the 2nd and the last one the best. Can't imagine what "great shots" you missed because these are absolutely spectacular! Well,yesterday was New Years day and here I am sending BLESSINGS upon you in 2018. Love to read the comments here. I only have my twin sister honestly comments on my blog. So glad you are back posting on your blog again Lovely....

Sabrina Steyling said...

Oh, Kate...these photos are phenomenal! What gorgeous birds, and what a marvelous job you did capturing their essence! Thank you for sharing, and I'm glad you had a nice Christmas. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back, even sporadically.

Cindi

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.