Monday, September 15, 2008

Travels with the black box

The little black box has taken me to many different sites, some where I simply leave a comment saying that I've been by, and others that I have actually added to my blogroll.


One such site that I want to share with you is Crystal Jigsaw, written by a woman who lives with her farming husband, her young daughter Amy, two dogs and a cat, and some spirits that seem to inhabit the farmhouse she moved into six years ago. They seem friendly, although I know that I couldn't be as calm about it as she apparently is. I know that many don't believe in the paranormal, but frankly, I believe that there are just some things that simply cannot be explained.

In this post, she writes of an incident that occured while she was in the sitting room stroking her cat, Jess. The cat looked up, towards the doorway, as if someone was there. And then the sounds and even smells of a meal from long ago invaded their senses.

It's not just the ghosts that have me riveted to her blog posts, either. It's her writing. She is currently working on a book, so that endeavor keeps her occupied when she's not caring for her home and her family. I also find it interesting because she lives so far away ~ in Northumberland, which is located at the northernmost top of Great Britain, on the Scottish border. It's also known as God's Country and was the scene of many fierce battles between Scotland and England in the past. Northumberland has more castles than anywhere else in England, and although they're usually blessed with more sunshine than rain, it's been a bad year for crops and her husband, the farmer, is fretting.

I'm telling you, it reads like a book. And I'm enjoying it so much.

So go ahead and click the word decide on the black box. I've heard that it can become addicting, but I haven't had a problem with it yet. If you'd like more information on how to acquire the box as a widget for your own blog, or to find out how they got started, click on about black boxes and follow the instructions.

Until tomorrow, my friends.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great, another blog you've introduced me to! I always know I'll love the blogs you do. Don't her post read like novels? Pulling you in?

Thanks!

(but I'm scared of the black box thingie..)

brneyedgal967 said...

Can't wait to check out the blog - especially since it concerns ghosties!! Thanks!

Mental P Mama said...

You could do this til the cows come home. And I'll be broke. I am still in love with our Turtle Gardener;)

abb said...

OK, this has to stop! I have too many favorites already and here you are introducing me to more! O bother!

Anonymous said...

You, my friend, are far too kind. Your words have put a huge smile on my face on this very dull and dreary September morning.

A big thank you to you. I am so honoured that you enjoy my post. I am always hoping that my blog will be picked up by one of these agents who seems to go to different blogs turning them into books. A good friend of mine, Judith O'Reilly (aka Wife in the North) has already had her wonderful blog made famous and I so admire her for it.

And I adore George, he is simply gorgeous.

Crystal Jigsaw xx

Shimmy Mom said...

I'm going to go check her site out. (P.S. I believe in ghosts too and I married a Coastie and Sailors are the most superstitious people EVER. There are lots of haunted lighthouses you know.)
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I'm saving my story for Halloween. :)

Adventure girl said...

I find so many blogs in the comments section.

I still want to add this to my blog.

I am actually starting to have a hard time keeping up;)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hi Country Girl! Nice to meet you. I too live on a farm in the UK - in the Yorkshire Dales, not far from Northumberland. I love your border collie, George. We too have one called Tip (after the tip of his tail!) and also a Border Terrier called Tess. I can see I am really going to enjoy your blog. Best wishes

Tess Kincaid said...

First of all, I have to say that I am so glad I found you through the black box! You are blogrolled and I so enjoy your place.

Secondly, we live in an old house that is haunted by at least two different ghosts. I have posted on them a few times and need to share more details. It is fascinating, to say the least!!
We have actually seen them, as well as heard things and smelled unusual scents at certain times. Well, I'm getting carried away. I must post more soon. :^)

Country Girl said...

CJ, I meant every word of it.

Welcome to Weaver of Grass. Pretty name. I'll have to check out your place. So glad you stopped by today.

Thanks, all. I apologize for making you add more excellent blogs to your blogrolls, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, you know.

~ C.G.

Woman in a Window said...

She sounds interesting. Zipping on over.