Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Blackwoods Cottage, Otter Creek ME

I have just returned from a week at Blackwoods Cottage in Otter Creek Maine where I spent the most wonderful time. Our weather was perfect and the cottage was absolutely charming in an old-fashioned Maine kind of way.

DSC_0263 copy 2

Driving from Bar Harbor to Seal Harbor, along Rte. 3, the cottage is the last dwelling on the left before you come to the Blackwoods Campground main road. It has three bedrooms, one with a very comfortable queen bed, one with two twins, and one with a daybed.

 

IMG_20140622_081907 copy 2The front porch was our favorite hang-out spot. It stayed cool in the shade and the bushes and trellis gave us some privacy from the main road.

 

DSC_0178 copy 2DSC_0177 copy 2

Lots of special little touches at this place.

 

DSC_0158 copy 2

This is the little side porch off of the dining room.

 

DSC_0257 copy 2

Standing in the backyard, you can see that the lupines were in full bloom. You can also see the chairs around the fire pit. Wood is sold all along the road which made it easy for us.

 

DSC_0504 copy 2DSC_0490 copy 2

Rather than let the flowers go to waste, we cut some and put them in a few of the many vases the owner has.

 

DSC_0793 copy 2

The dining room with a piano that could use a tuning. But this is certainly not a complaint.

 

DSC_0146 copy 2DSC_0148 copy 2

The wood on the walls, ceilings, and floors is perfect for this place as are all the decorative accouterments.

 

DSC_0149 copy 2

Taken from the stairway (please excuse our mess).

 

DSC_0796 copy 2

The well-equipped kitchen was adorable in a retro kind of way. The frig was just a little cumbersome because the door to the porch is right next to it, as well as the laundry cupboard. But we didn’t care! We were in Maine, and it was just so beautiful.

 

DSC_0184 copy 2

What a cool-looking oven and stove! The kitchen was very nicely appointed, and outside on the porch, there’s a gas grill with a burner included on it. We used the cottage lobster pot to steam our lobsters outside.

 

DSC_0799 copy 2DSC_0800 copy 2

Beautiful wood everywhere lends such warmth to the place.

:   :   :

Bottom Line: I would stay here again. This place was absolutely charming. There are two drawbacks for families to consider, however. One is the proximity to the road. Rte. 3 runs right next to the cottage (you can see it in the first photo above). It’s a well-travelled road, but oddly enough, the cars never bothered us. This is probably due to the privacy lent by the big lilac bushes and the trellis of morning glories along the side and front of the porch. The second drawback is that there is no bathroom on the first floor. But I believe there are plans to add one.

I would definitely recommend this cottage as a vacation rental. Acadia National Park is all around it, and a trailhead is right across the street. Perfection!

 

DSC_0266 copy 2

 

For more information, visit the website:

Blackwoods Cottage

 

Respectfully submitted,

123 Signature[5]

23 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Looks wonderful really! Trailhead right across the road? Perfection! Now that horse with the fishtail might have had to come home with me! Hugs! deb

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds like a wonderful break!

Cloudia said...

very nice :-)


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= <3

Gayle said...

Thanks again for taking us with you. The photos are just wonderful.

JaneK said...

Heaven on earth!

Candace said...

Looks beautiful. I would have had a hard time leaving that porch even knowing there was more beauty to be explored. Looks so relaxing there.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I Love it! Thanks for the tour... so many charming things there that I'd love for my own home!..and oooooh, that fridge and stove!!

alphabet soup said...

What mess? Where? I don't see any mess.

Lovely cottage - thanks for all those photos.

I love that part of Maine

Ms Soup

Anonymous said...

What absolute charm this cottage has! I can picture you and your sisters there having a wonderful memory making time together... xox

Jamie said...

Gorgeous! Maine is definitely on my to-do list

The JR said...

All of it is beautiful. But, my favorite picture is the one with the Merhorse.

The Weaver of Grass said...

How I wish I could spend a holiday there (but get the piano tuned, I like to play every day).

Linda Kay said...

I've been anxiously awaiting your post about where you stayed in Maine so we can look it up. We celebrate our 30th anniversary next year, and plan to spend some time in Maine. Thanks for the link!

Cait O'Connor said...

Gorgeous cottage, I love the verandahs.

Daryl said...

this is what i expected Reena/The Prof's 'cottage' to look like ... comfortable and relaxing .. i am so glad you all had such a good time/great place to stay

Lisa Gordon said...

My goodness, what a wonderful place to be, Kate!
That cottage is just perfect in every way.
I am so glad that you had a wonderful time.

Happy 4th of July to you!

Bluebird49 said...

Good heavens, what a charming place! I could smack myself for "not checking in" this past month. I think I became a bit like you did in a post that was very near the one you had me singing a "Heart" song in my mind. I just "lost my words", and in doing, seems I lost my way over here, as well. See what I missed! Instead of commenting on each post--I'll just say I'm so happy you went, and thank you for taking those pictures. You look great, and your sisters, too--I'm so happy you could all gather together. Happy George got a new toy, and just glad you are doing well--also hopeful your ankle is in "recovery"!:)

Lili said...

Oh Kate that is such a sweet and charming cottage for a Maine visit. Glad you got to steam your lobsters outside too, you know how I feel about the lobster "aftermath" ha! Hope your ankle is much better as you get settled back in to your normal routine back home. I miss you! xoxo

Kerri Farley said...

OH, it does look like an awesome place!!!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Kate:
It looks like a beautiful, restful place to be for a while. I love the interior. Are the appliances "New/old" or genuinely old? What a nice touch, either way. Thanks for sharing images from your vacation. It's nice to see things through your eyes. <3
xo
D
PS. Two comments above mine, you've got a bloody spammer. grrrrr

Tracey Grumbach said...

It sounds absolutely perfect! I would love to go there! So glad You had a wonderful time with your sisters. xo

Country Gal said...

Oh what a pretty cottage ! Thanks for taking us on the tour . Have a good day !

GailO said...

This is the first year that we are renting instead of staying at my brother in law's ...I can only hope that the place we have rented is half as nice as this!