Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I live in a beautiful world

After work today, I sat outside on the back patio because it was such a beautiful day. The weather has been absolutely pleasant since we had the violent thunderstorm that came barreling through in the wee hours of Monday morning. My neighbor told me that her family actually took shelter in their basement which should give you some indication of how powerful this storm was. But it brought much cooler temps along with it and the pleasant weather continues. As I sat in my chair, I read the latest issue of Bon Appetit magazine {thanks, Daryl!} while listening to the birds sing.

I kept hearing a hawk screeching but it didn’t seem to be anything out of the ordinary and I continued to turn the pages, marveling at all the wonderful food that I would probably never make but always want to try. After about a half hour, I noticed that the sound of the hawk was still there and oddly enough, still coming from the same place. It was coming not from the sky, or from the branches of a tree and so I got up from my chair and walked toward the sound. And I was surprised to see a beautiful hawk sitting on the fence line about 50 yards from where I stood. And wonder of wonders, there was a bluebird bringing food to her babies in one of the houses along that same fence line. I had no idea a family had set up housekeeping in this box and so I went inside to get my camera.

Every time I see a hawk doing something out of the ordinary, I think that it’s my husband trying to tell me something. In this case, it would be to come and look – the bluebirds have hatched. Do you think that’s crazy?

 

DSC_1499 copy 2

Regardless, I went inside for the camera.

If bugs gross you out, I apologize. But birds gotta eat, you know.

 

DSC_1506 copy 2

I didn’t have to wait long until she came back to the nest and was able to capture several images of her bringing bugs to her little ones. Observing the birds with my camera on hand remains one of my favorite calming things to do. And I find it really interesting that different birds have such distinct personalities. The female bluebird will consistently bring food to their babies 90% more times than the male will. Maybe the male was just standing guard because I had moved my chair closer to the nest – I don’t know. I just find it interesting.

 

DSC_1527 copy 2

All of the photos here are of the female because the male, although he had food ready in his mouth, either stood guard further down the fence line, or flew and perched nearby.

With the food in his mouth the entire time. He was NOT coming to that nest (which is why I eventually left).

 

DSC_1529 copy 2

But she had a job to do and she did it relentlessly.

And she did not seem to care that I was sitting nearby.

 

DSC_1542 copy 2

I live in a beautiful world.

 

 

DSC_1547 copy 2

The grass is over a foot high, but oh well. I just hope the lawn service hasn’t forgotten us.

 

:   :   :

 

All of the images in this post were edited using a free sample pack of actions that I am loving right now. (They’re my new favorite). You can download them here for Photoshop CS 2-6, PS Creative Cloud, and PS Elements 8-12.

Little Lusker – Elements of the Sea

I used Blue Whisper, Stellar, and Tropical Punch today.

 

Hope your week is a stellar one, my friends ~

123 Signature[5]

25 comments:

JaneK said...

love these! and yes, a mama will persist no matter what.

and no, you are not crazy... and I think it is cool you feel his presence in nature

Lee Owenby said...

Beautiful!

Nellie said...

Yes, it is a beautiful world! How lucky you were to catch that mother bluebird feeding her babies! Hugs, Nellie

Michelle said...

Not too gross for me. A fantastic capture.

Linda Kay said...

How fun to catch the birds with the bugs feeding the babies, or themselves. We do live in a beautiful world, and the birds are a very big part of that.

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos and post ! I hear you I to love watching and photographing our birdies and the nature we have here in our valley and back yard to . We have two crows that like to tease Miggs and fly from tree to tree squawking at her as she follows them and barks at them , I have named one George and the other Margaret and they know their names to ! We are to blessed with wonderful nature here ! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week !

Slamdunk said...

Wow, thanks for treating us to the great shots. When we came back from a 2 week beach vacation last month, I was treated to mowing high grass (we had more rain than usual)--definitely not fun.

Jan's camera said...

Hi Kate, I don't think it is strange at all when you think of your husband when those sort of things happen. I believe in that. How wonderful that you were able to photograph the bluebirds. I was afraid you were going to say that the hawk ate them. Your photos are lovely. Thanks for sharing. Our weather in Mass. has been similar. Violent storms and even a tornado. But today was absolutely gorgeous.

The Weaver of Grass said...

A beautiful world indeed Kate - and no I don't think it is stupid to think of your husband in this context. We all have such thoughts and they bring us comfort.

sharon said...

Aaahh the wonder of nature. Momma feeding her babies. One never tires of such sites.

The JR said...

Those momma birds work so hard.

We have record cold temps in Ms now. Not that it's cold, but it is very weird for the low to be in the 60's at the end of July.

it's me said...

Love that the hawk pointed you to the bluebirds--

Gayle said...

FABulous. All!!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I LOVE your post today! Wonderful shots of Mrs BB!!

Pat said...

Whenever I see a hawk I have a very strong feeling that my Dad is watching over me...how wonderful to read that someone else feels the same way about their loved one that has passed. I've followed your blog for a long time, love your photos and how you appreciate nature...I just don't comment very often. Thanks for making the world a more beautiful place. :-)

Daryl said...

what, they cried, flies again Ma …

you're welcome .. enjoy xo

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I don't think you're crazy at all.

Glad you got the message and went and took those shots, beautiful captures, as always.

Hilary said...

I don't think it's crazy at all. In fact, it was my first thought when you said how persistent the hawk was.. and reinforced since the bluebirds continued on despite its almost always-silencing presence. Those blues weren't threatened at all. I think you're on the right path.

Low Tide High Style said...

Really beautiful images Kate!!! And I love the connection between the hawk and your husband, very cool!

xo Kat

Lisa Gordon said...

You do indeed live in a beautiful world, Kate.
I just love those little birds, and I love watching them when they are as busy as these are.

And the hawk? I don't think it is crazy at all.

Have a great weekend!

Bluebird49 said...

Nope--I don't think you are crazy at all! I think the mama bluebird is very kind, and maybe her mate is a little crazy, though...sitting holding a bug in his mouth---neither feeding it to the babies, NOR eating himself! He's clearly a bit daft; of course, it's typical that mamas of all sorts mostly see to the children being fed, while papas mainly watch! ;)
Hugs!
Sybil

Hilary said...

No you're not crazy.
His energy is not gone. And I think it is perfectly reasonable that he called you over.

Cloudia said...

You have MADE our world more lovely today, thanks!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Smalltowngiggles said...

We feed hummingbirds, too. In fact we feed all kinds of birds, orioles, cardinals, goldfinch. You name it we feed it. We only have hummers in the spring and early fall. They usually arrive here around the middle of August. Got the feeders out today. Love your pictures of the the hummingbirds.

Lili said...

Oh to think what you would've missed had you ignored that hawk!