Saturday, August 1, 2015

Pictures from my new phone

It has been too long. Yes, I know this. But I have been wanting to write and to share my photos with you and I believe it’s high time I did. July is not my favorite month, but August is worse. I am not a summer person – the heat wilts me but I am blessed to have air conditioning.

My phone was due for an upgrade and ever since doing a routine software update a few months ago for my Samsung Galaxy, it had been running weird, half my apps didn’t work, and I kept saying that I was going to just get an iPhone. All of my iPhone friends and all of my sisters have been asking me what was stopping me. I have never been an iPerson is why but after getting my first iPhone last week, I don’t know why not. Because I love it.

I especially love the camera in the iPhone 6 and all of the photos here were taken with it.

FullSizeRender copy 2

This was the first picture I took with the new phone – of my living room in the early morning light last Saturday. It would have been nice had I vacuumed the rug but I opened up this one in PS and cloned out the chunk of dog hair that was on the rug.

* snort *

No. I really did.

 

IMG_0082 copy 2

This is my sweet grand-niece, Colleen Elle, who I met last Sunday for the first time.

Lovely lovely little girl.

 

IMG_0116 (1) copy 2

And this is a dog who was caught trying to pull his shark stuffed animal from the wash pile.

After this was taken and the wash hung on the line, I spent the better part of the day scrubbing my kitchen floor. This is a huge job and one that would have taken me half the time in my younger years. I do try to keep my floor clean, but every couple of years or so, I scrub off all the old finish product and all the dirt that forms in the little crevices. On my hands and needs. And when it’s dry, I apply Pledge Floor Finish. A clean kitchen floor is happiness.

But then so is a good cocktail. A good movie. Jamie Fraser in a kilt. And a number of other assorted things.

 

Photo copy 2

My clean kitchen floor.

Because I am just so certain you wanted to see it.

(not)

 

IMG_0106 copy 2

It rained the other day. I came home from a long workday, angry for some reason or other. I know what the reasons are, but I just don’t want to share them. So I sat and read in my living room (which is not air-conditioned, by the way). I asked my son to put a unit in the window and he never did. It’s in a difficult area to install. After three times, I stopped asking and ended up realizing that I don’t really need it. I am sitting in here now and it is not bad at all even though it’s 88 degrees outside. Plus, not using it really cuts down on the electric bill. Anyway, back to the story which really isn’t even a story.

The sun suddenly came out.

I went outside and saw this picture you see above. Underneath the trees, it looked as if the rain was still gently falling. And I thought it was beautiful.

 

IMG_0113 copy 2

This is the same scene, after using the Waterlogue app.

"I remember every moment, every second. I’ll never forget when I came out of the church and saw you for the first time. It was as if I stepped outside on a cloudy day, and suddenly the sun came out." - Jamie Fraser, Outlander

Don’t even get me started on Outlander quotes. I am a total geek. One of the file cabinets got stuck at work this week and I pounded on it saying, “Open up, ya wee besom.” I was surprised to hear this come out of my mouth. I hadn’t meant to say it – it just. happened.

 

IMG_0105 copy 2

And finally, the wee kitty who still has no name. I call him Kitty. Were he mine, I would have named him but he belongs to my son. Kitty comes when he is called. There have been many nights when I have let him out after dinner and before I go to bed, I will call him and he has always come. He is a good cat and very sweet.

I hope your weekend is a good one. I would visit you if you lived closer and had a pool.

ha.

123 Signature[5]

32 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

no pool here either - lovely images and is there a particular reason for the noname? He's adorable.

Christie - Fine Lines said...

I did one of those "deep clean" numbers on my kitchen floor a few weeks ago and I still look admiringly at it when I walk into the kitchen. It's amazing how pristine it looks!!!! I can definitely appreciate your joy!

Gail said...

No pool, no calm cool temps either, though I would welcome you...I have ice for drinks.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

does a horse trough count?
I've never had Apple products but am seriously considering an I-phone when my contract is up. Folks who have them love them.

donna baker said...

Good to hear from you again. I need to upgrade to the six as I have heard the picture taking is so good. I'm on the last Outlander book and I wish you could hear me reading in my Scottish brogue in my head. I use Lisa of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills for my Claire voice. Don't know what I'll do when I finish this last one. It has been so hot here, I can't go out except for mornings. Hope August flies by.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting photographs of where you live Kate.
I have your kitchen flooring in my bathroom and it too is looking grubby. You have spurred me on to give it a good scrub next week.

Hilary said...

I loved seeing your kitchen floor. Isn't it wonderful how something so simple can make us happy. I think it's the time in our life, and sometimes I think it's what we've been through to get here.
Whatever it is, the simplest things make me happy too.
And I don't like the heat much either......give me October any old day.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Camera phones are a wonder! They give us the opportunity to snap an image whenever we want, windows into our world. Thank you for sharing yours with us.

Outlander!! I got stuck in the middle of book 3 years ago, and I haven't gone back to it ... yet. Friends and I have had Outlander TV dates. One friend subscribed to Starz just so she could DVR the series. We meet every few weeks, eat munchies and drink wine, and binge on a couple of episodes. We only have one left to watch from this season ... then we have to wait till later for more. Sigh. Good friends, good food, and Jamie Fraser in a kilt!

jo said...

I, too, have no a/c in my little farm house. I find that, on really hot days, keeping the blinds and windows and doors closed really makes it quite comfortable. I don't mind not having it.

Daryl said...

ok, now download either VSCOCamera app or the ProCamera app both are far superior to the iPhone built in camera ..also Snapseed is an editing app you will love .. xo

Lee Owenby said...

I love all the photos - even the one of your kitchen floor. My favorites - the kitty and the watercolor look. Down here at Paris Landing it's been hitting the high 90' and high humidity - thank heavens for air conditioning. Good to hear from you Kate.

Linda said...

Love that manor house. Looks so homey & comfortable. Outlander! Sigh. I might have to re-read the series. Enjoy your new phone.

Michelle said...

I've read the Outland series, but not watched but a bit of the television series. Though, I think the actor they selected for Jamie is spot on :)

Ellen said...

Welcome back. Wishing you a wonderful rest of the summer.

DesertHen said...

Lovely photos. Kitty is very sweet looking! I just started reading the Outlander series. I think I'm hooked! Haven't started the show yet, but will soon to get caught up. I need to upgrade my phone, still using the iphone 4.

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos . A shame about your Samsung galaxy though , Papa here has the galaxy 4 tablet and it updates all the time and hasn't had any problems with it same goes with our Samsung smart phones which have amazing cameras on them all have been fine, that is weird how some do fine and others don't isn't it ? . Oh I bet I could find dog hair and cat hair on my carpets no prob and that's after I vacuum lol ! Good to know all is going well , I don't like the humidity we have been having but I don't like cold even more so lol oh well never satisfied with the weather are we ? Thanks for sharing , Have a good week and take care !

thotlady said...

Beautiful grand niece. So lovely. I also love the Outlander series, I couldn't get enough.

And I would love to have you visit, but alas I don't have a pool.

Say hi to George for me.

Unknown said...

All beautiful shots, but I especially love the garden, it just looks so peaceful.

I am also an Outland fan - books & TV! :)

Kerri Farley said...

What a sweet baby :)
Love your images :)

Sabrina Steyling said...

Your new iPhone takes wonderful photos! I love the one of George trying to hide his toy in your laundry basket. What a cute bugger! And your grand-niece is so beautiful as well! What a lovely name.

thecatalanway said...

Hi there! I came over to see what you were doing and found this delightful post. Love George raiding the laundry basket!

You have inspired me and I just now wrote another post - I too had been a bit absent and not getting stuff down as I wanted to. Thank you!

I can't imagine feeling too hot right now as back in Cornwall it is windy and cool every day but at least it is fresh. Sorry about the air conditioning - I hope that all gets better some day soon.

I am off for a long trip tomorrow to pick up Pep and drive him back here- along with our cat. But surprise surprise - I have a swollen gland and am not feeling too great. So, it's off to bed and hoping that sleep will work its magic healing trick. Good night Kate and sending you lots of love

Pepper Medley said...

Sometimes I wish I were a phone person so I could have one of those wonderful iPhone cameras, but I'm not, so I never will have one.

Need to clean every one of the floors in my house, but eh.

The name Kitty works for me if we had a cat. Sure is a cute kitty cat.

Nice to read your post... always look forward to them.

Annie said...

So nice to see your new post and all the beautiful pictures. I laughed out loud with your Outlander Speak when you had trouble with the file cabinet. You must have been daydreaming about kilts!

Unknown said...

Kate, your blog made me smile, numerous times. I really like all the photos. That watercolor app is pretty cool, but of course that precious baby is my favorite. Now- I hate to ask, but what's a besom?

Anonymous said...

all of this made me smile and happy for you....things are sounding good over there. :) I am wilting in the heat as well. No one told me it would be this steamy hot in Georgia! Good thing I like to read, take naps and sew, in my cool house.

Enjoy the rest of the summer! Fall will be here soon. ♥

beth said...

YES!!!! an iphone!!! our son finally got back on track and got one, too….after hating and running over {not on purpose} his samsung. we are all iphone nuts and i'm so glad you're "in" again :) snort….LOL

i have missed you. i love the summer that melts you and just haven't been motivated to sit at my computer and write or share.

i love kitty! and your clean floors!!
xo

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new phone, Kate.
I've had an iPhone since they first came out, and cannot imagine having any other kind of phone.

Have a wonderful time with it, and I look forward to seeing all of the pictures you take with it, here.

Have a great week ahead!

Steph said...

Oh, I love the Outlander quotes! Beautiful pictures. Glad to hear from you again.

Steph said...

Oh, I love the Outlander quotes! Beautiful pictures. Glad to hear from you again.

sharon said...

Love the picture of Kitty. Great Angle.

BB said...

August is cold and blowy here... my lawn is frosted and I need to water it back into life (when it warms up enough in the middle of the day). Love my sneak peeks into your life - and loving that waterlogue app! Must try.
:-)
BB
PS Do you ever have internet problems there? We are struggling with it over here (in the rural areas) and wondered if America is the same?

Bluebird49 said...

But, I DID want to see your clean floor. I might as well see someone's--'cause it isn't going to be mine! Anytime soon, anyway, Why don't they have self-cleaning houses, anyway, Kate? :(

Glad you got your iPhone. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. I don't have enough reasons to get one, I don't think.

Hope things are good with you!!
xxx Trudy/Sybil