Friday, June 6, 2008

Having a zen moment with my green tea

When I got home today, I quickly changed and told my husband I was taking George out for a walk. So out the front door we went and headed towards the driveway, and after about a minute, I realized George wasn’t with me. And as I turned to call him, I noticed this utterly beautiful sight. And I was drawn towards the pond. And there was George waiting for me.
When I got to the crest of the hill, I stopped. And stared. And then I sat down and enjoyed the view. And took a deep breath. And I tell you, it felt so good to be sitting there. And you know what? I just didn’t feel like going for a walk. I just wanted to stay here for awhile.
I thought to myself that it would be really nice to have a drink of that iced tea I had made. So I went back into the house, got my camera, and a chair and a table and brought everything to the spot I had chosen and proceeded to sip my tea and enjoy the scenery. Then my husband called me for dinner. I love when my husband calls me for dinner! I love the fact that he cooks for me every night. I think it's his way of showing me how much he loves me. He says it's because he's hungry. I'm sticking with my original theory because it's so much more romantic.

So I went inside to collect my dinner and invited my husband and son outside to eat with me by the pond. My husband declined, saying he wanted to watch the news, but my son seemed intrigued by something different, I guess, so he and I went out and shared a meal while gazing upon this lovely view you see here. We talked, too, which is often rare with a 21 year-old.
Yes, I'm still in Time Out with the internet, but you see how I'm not letting it get to me, right? The biggest drag is that I can't visit all your beautiful blogs in the evening and I have to sneak a peak during lunchtime at school.
The tea I made is good for you. It's Bigelow's Green Tea with fresh lemon juice and grated ginger. It's really quite refreshing! Here's the recipe:
Green Tea with Lemon & Ginger
4 green tea bags (I used Bigelow original green)
1 1/2 tsp. finely grated ginger
6 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Boil 4 cups water and add tea bags and ginger. Let steep around 10 minutes. In pitcher, combine sugar and lemon juice then strain tea in through fine sieve. Add another 2 cups cold water. Serve over ice.
If you don't like ginger, reduce the amount until it suits. I used 2 tsp. and it was just too much.

17 comments:

abb said...

Your pond is just as pretty as mine. And that's hard to do!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely evening! That tea looks wonderful!

Hilary said...

How could anyone not feel themselves relaxing with that perfect view? And the tea looks inviting!

Mary said...

Oh, that sounds so wonderful -- glad you had such a relaxing time. After graduation and your internet woes, you probably really needed that!
xoxo,
Mary

Treasia Stepp said...

Beautiful views and pics as always.

Mental P Mama said...

Wonderful spot. What time out? Ommmmm.

dlyn said...

Gorgeous shots Kate and I love ginger in my tea - I will give this a try for sure!

Minna Dyer said...

You seem to have many zen moments on the farm. Lovely.

Russell said...

Very nice! I especially like the fact that your husband cooks every night!! Good for him!!

The view is nice and peaceful. I certainly agree with you.

The tea sounds very good. But you know what I liked the best?? I liked the fact that you and your 21-year old son ate together and talked!! THAT is special!!

Good for you!

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

The Internet thing is annoying. However will you manage? ;0

Time with the young men is very special. I cherish the time with mine. I'll be heartbroken when he leaves for college.

Robin at Bumblebee

Laura ~Peach~ said...

BEAUTIFUL! love it...

Anonymous said...

I'm not liking your internet time out, but I'm glad you still find ways to post. Your view is gorgeous. How great to have a little quiet one on one time with your son. Doesn't happen often, does it?

Leslie: said...

No wonder you stayed out there and even had your dinner there. It reminded me of Shirley Valentine sitting at her little table in Greece all alone enjoying the view. So happy you had a nice chat with your son, too.

Egghead said...

I think you chose the exact right thing to do by sitting out there to have your dinner and talk with your son. Those moments are the ones that will come dancing back in your memories and his as well. I also love that your husband cooks your dinner for you and I would choose to believe that he does it because he loves you as well. You are certainly blessed.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this post a while back, but finally set aside time yesterday to make the Green Tea. You're right, it was VERY refreshing! Thank you for sharing :)

Country Girl said...

Bekkah, you've inspired to make another pitcher this morning. It's so hot here in Maryland and this tea really takes the edge off!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.