Sunday, June 20, 2010

Where we stayed for the past week

This is the first time we’ve rented from Hearts of Maine, a realty company that specializes in waterfront rental properties in Downeast, Maine. One of the things we loved about them was that more than half of their properties allow pets.

We stayed at the Acadia Beach House in Gouldsboro, off of Schieffelin Point Road.

I like taking photos of places as soon as you walk in. This way, you don’t get all your junk in the way of the shots.  So, most of these shots were taken upon arrival.

DSC_0016 copy 2

We entered through the main entrance, which is at the back, to the most beautiful kitchen. I think the shot is fuzzy because I was so excited. That’s a Viking range over there on the far wall.

DSC_0017 copy 2

The dining area looking towards the living area. To the left is a little sun room which connects the two parts of the house.

DSC_0021 copy 2

George is coming towards me after having checked out the rooms off the sunroom. My only complaint about the sunroom is that the furniture wasn’t comfortable. My husband liked it, though.

DSC_0538 copy 2

In the back rooms are two bedrooms. This is one of the master bedrooms.

DSC_0436 copy 2

It had this cool antique chaise lounge in the corner.

DSC_0542 copy 2

This is the little single bedroom. I loved the vintage quilt.

DSC_0325 copy 2

There were lots of homey touches, like this photo wall in the sunroom.

DSC_0425 copy 2

And this old cupboard that’s doing duty these days as a bar. And speaking of bars, I found this fantastic recipe for a drink in a cookbook I found in the kitchen.

SIDECAR

1 ounce Hennessey Cognac

1 ounce Cointreau

1 ounce lemon juice

For the Sidebar, a good chill is the key element. I like to put the shaker in the freezer before I make these and keep it in there if there is more than enough for a first round. Put enough ice in the shaker to get everything nice and cold but not so much that it will dilute the drink. Pour the liquids in and shake vigorously. Pour into a glass.

~copyright Rebecca Charles, from Lobster Rolls and Blueberry Pie: Three Generations of Recipes and Stories from Summers on the Coast of Maine

DSC_0324 copy 2DSC_0428 copy 2

I loved the old stuff around the house. The antique scissors still work today.  What a beautiful old chair.DSC_0424 copy 2

Little touches like this made me feel at home in this place along the coast.

I thought I had taken photos of the other bedroom (where we stayed) but there are some excellent shots on the realty page for this home. It sleeps five, two adults and a child, but there is extra space on the property if you care to pay about $200 more for the week. It’s a small cottage with a bedroom and a bathroom. I didn’t get to see inside because it was locked when we were there.

DSC_0294 copy 2

The front of the house. My husband is getting the grill ready. This was taken last Sunday and we were having hot dogs. I know it doesn’t sound that exciting but they were Kahn’s. And they were cooked on the grill. And there was onion and bread & butter pickles and cheese and grey poupon mustard . . .

Ok.  I’ll stop now.

DSC_0617 copy 2

Here’s the extra space you can rent, if desired. I would definitely stay here again but am inclined to keep trying different places because it’s fun to do. However, I highly recommend this cottage. Bring kayaks!

Respectfully submitted,

PS ~ I cannot believe the amount of mail in my inbox. I had very little time to check on it all while I was away. Thank you all so much for your comments on this beautiful area. I’ve already ‘met’ someone who lives locally (she left a comment) and found out about an artist over in Winter Harbor. I also love the fact that you helped me to identify what I thought were blueberry blooms and was in reality, mountain laurel. So, thank you.

25 comments:

Char said...

what a beautiful spot. i know it felt like heaven.

deborah said...

What a kitchen! All of the wood flooring, ceilings and paneling is delightful. It is a lovely home, and I'm so happy that you enjoyed your vacation! Waiting to hear George's comments on vacation...

altar ego said...

Looks absolutely divine. I think my other half and I need to make a trip to Maine. Soon.

I thought that was laurel, but I wasn't going to quibble with you!

Caroline said...

Ahhhhhhh...I would love to be there....like right now!!! Fab pics Kate!

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh I love Maine, it's beautiful, isn't it? Have a great time!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

This is stunning; you certainly know how to sell a holiday. Are you on commission?!! So glad you had a wonderful time.

CJ xx

GailO said...

I could live in that kitchen!

Looking at these pics almost makes me wish I didn't have a free place to stay in Maine every year...it would be fun to try different places...and the place we stay is starting to be too small for the whole family...

Barb T. said...

How absolutely gorgeous!!! I also love the wall of photos. Be VERY careful of Sidecars. They are a drink of my parents' generation, but I absolutely love them! They will set you on your heinie mighty fast!
It is good to have you back, but I will miss your travelogue.

Country Girl said...

Not on commission, CJ. Maybe I should be, though! It felt like heaven. And although I've never had a sidecar, it seemed old-fashioned enough to post here. Especially since the house had the recipe in the kitchen.

Thanks everyone.

~ C.G.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

What a beautiful, cozy house! Looks like it feels very homey:)
Thanks for sharing!

Donna S. said...

Thanks for another great virtual vacation!!! The place looked awesome.

Gail said...

I could live there!

I am so glad you had a great vacation and now I am wantin' a hot dog, from the grill!

troutay said...

It is so beautiful there isn't it? Did you go to Grindstone point?

Loved all the photos! makes me want to go back so much!

I sent you something. I only have the address to the school so hope someone is there to accept it.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

..and Hey!!.. you were in Maine!

Lovely home, so glad it was all you hoped for...

Cheryl said...

I love enjoyed your vacation week, thanks so much for sharing it!

Will have to keep this place in mine. We're like you, have to find places that allow our fur babies.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

beautiful place wish i could HIDE out there.

the southern hostess said...

How lovely! I adore that quilt.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place to stay! Even the grounds look nice. Hope you feel refreshed and relaxed after your getaway.

A New England Life said...

I wouldn't have guessed the home was so open and airy inside. Wonderful!

Daryl said...

What a lovely place ... nicer than my apartment.

The JR said...

Cool place. Luv all the wood inside.

Deb said...

Oh, I want to come next year...pretty please?

Farmer Gal said...

Maine is WAY at the top of our list of places to visit. Thanks for sharing the photos! That cottage looks so sweet. Also, love the post from George! It's always good to get the dog's perspective.

Sammay23 said...

Hi there, I'm one of the owners of the home you stayed in, and love that you had such a great time. We love coming up to Maine, and have been doing so every year without fail. It's been a great experience to share our place with others (at the very least, the house doesn't smell musty or mothbally when we go up in August!). Sounds like you guys are foodies too (hence the big kitchen, viking range, etc.). Maine is such a great place for eating. Did you see any clammers? We've had guests in the past buy fresh clams from them as they come off the tidal flats in front of the house.

Thank you for all the kind words, and for the excellent pictures. So glad you had a wondeful time.

N44Green12 said...

Looks awesome. Did you enjoy the waterfront? Did you swim? Thinking of renting but the beach is key.