Sunday, August 24, 2014

New beginnings

School starts tomorrow, marking the culmination of half of everything we worked for this summer. The other half was spent closing out the old year. So it’s back to the beginning of another year, back to wearing proper attire and actual jewelry, back to 2-day weekends, and back to being interrupted several hundred times during the day.

Maybe if I looked at it in a different light, the interrupting thing wouldn’t be so hard. Right? It will be good to see all my co-workers again and all the children. It should be a good week. Let’s hope ~

 

DSC_2655 copy 2

I got my chores done on Saturday and then went outside to take some photos. Caught this little hummingbird resting for a few seconds on the little swing I set up in the bush for them. I never see them sitting in the swing and if I do, they depart as quickly as they come.

However, while on the phone with my sister-in-law over the weekend, there were several of them hovering around said swing and they were even taking turns sitting on it. And there I was without the camera. D-oh!!

 

DSC_2797 copy 2

The flowers are pretty much on the wane, but these petunias on the back patio still look pretty.

 

DSC_2934 copy 2

I was thinking of taking down the wire my husband rigged up several years ago to squirrel-proof the bird feeders. I am going to take it down, I’ve decided. Just not today.

I should have taken a photo of my car. I washed it by hand rather than taking it to the car wash, then vacuumed it, washed all the rubber mats, cleaned the windows and the trim. I was thinking of waxing it too, but I needed a nap after all that work.

No, I’m kidding. But I sure was tired.

 

DSC_2627 copy 2

My beautiful boy, George.

 

DSC_2628 copy 2

I did not just call him Boy George.

 

DSC_2529 copy 2

 

Until next time, my friends.

Thanks always, for your visits.

123 Signature[5]

25 comments:

Mary said...

I so love your photography! Hope you have a great "first day" and wonderful year. You deserve it!!

Cloudia said...

So nice connecting with you like this. Do enjoy the energy of the new school year.


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

The Weaver of Grass said...

Best wishes for the new school year. Expect George will miss you during the day - but he is nice to come home to.

Daryl said...

hope the new school year gets off to a smooth start .. i think you are amazing ... washing the car is one thing but leave the waxing to the pros ... xo

Mersad said...

I wish you and yours a happy (and hopefully relaxed) start in the new school year. Starting the old routine back up can be a hard thing. Love your hummingbird shot, and of course little boy George ;)

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

oh PLEASE... do not call him Boy George :-)

gorgeous photo of the hummer on the swing!

Susan said...

Love all your pix, but am a little envious of the hummingbird pictures. What patience you must have. And I need to get some hummingbird toys!

The JR said...

great capture on the hummers.

George is the most awesome border collie in the world. He's a beaut.

Jeanette said...

Love your hummingbird photos! George is definitely a beautiful boy!

Nellie said...

Your photos are amazing, Kate! I send wishes along for your school year to be off on a smooth beginning! xo

Carolynn Anctil said...

I haven't seen any hummingbirds since we moved to the prairies 2 years ago. *sigh* They're so incredibly gorgeous.

Carolynn
A Glowing Ember

Linda Kay said...

I just love the hummers, and I'll be they had only one at a time on the swing as they are so possessive! Love your doggie as well.

Lili said...

Just thought I would catch up with you today Kate. Hope your first day back with the kiddos was fun. A clean car, beautiful hummers and handsome George let me know all is well. Already seems ages since you were here. xo

Kerri Farley said...

Flowers, Hummers and a boy named George ....that's all we ever need :) Beautiful images!! Hope your new year is Fantastic!!

Low Tide High Style said...

I hope the school year is off to a good start with your first day back! Our daughter started back last Wednesday and is slowly adjusting to teaching again after her short summer break. I love that swing, and love that the little hummers cooperated for you! And that boy...George...is a keeper for sure!

xo Kat

Hedy King said...

Gorgeous photography, Kate, as always, I especially like the hummer on his swing. I hope your opening day went smoothly. I'm a retired school counselor and miss those first few days each year. Not always fun, but always surprising! Here's to a super year for all the kiddos, ours started August 1. Hedy

Lisa Gordon said...

Your hummingbird photographs are so beautiful, Kate.

I hope your first day back to school was a great one.

Debbie From Illinois said...

The start of school used to be such a big part of our lives. My husband is recently retired, he was a school administrator. My youngest went back to college this weekend, he is a senior. My daughter teaches fourth grade and I help out a bit in her classroom. So times are changing for our family and I kind of like it.

Hope the start of school goes smoothly Kate!

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos ! The kids here go back to school next week . I cant believe how fast the summer has gone . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

I love the swing.

Hope your transition back to reality and jewelry was a smooth one.

Two-day weekends are the worst, but hopefully you have a long one coming up.

GailO said...

Hope your first day of school was a good one! My grand children start tomorrow and seemed a bit nervous about it...

I took the time yesterday to try to take some hummingbird pictures at my feeder and whenever I do that I think of you:) I haven't even downloaded them yet but I hope they are half as good as yours!

ps I always kind of liked Boy George lol!

Candace said...

Beautiful hummer (and George) shots. When I started trying to get pictures of "my" hummers a few years ago, they were very elusive. Now they seem to pose for me, sometimes coming within a foot of me. They must just get used to us and know we're not a threat even with the big old camera in front of our faces.

Bluebird49 said...

I bet you'll kinda be glad to get back to your friends and co-workers and students! our hummers seem to be about gone--while yours are still up there!
The pictures are breathtaking--as always. Yes you DID--you called George "Boy George", girl!
Hope your summer's ending with a bang and not a whimper...it's always good to see a new beautiful post from you when I look!
"Sybil"

sharon said...

What a day for a day-dream....

And even if time ain't really on my side
It's one of those days for taking a walk outside
I'm blowing the day to take a walk in the sun
And fall on my face on somebody's new-mown lawn

Lovin Spoonful - Daydream Lyrics

beth said...

boy george….you crack me up!!!

glad to hear that school is off to a good start!! i'm sure it feels like "home" …just a little bit….xo