Sunday, October 26, 2014

You’re like fallen leaves in an autumn night

Hello, my friends. It’s been an absolutely stellar weekend here in Maryland, with mild temperatures and abundant sunshine. The nights have been just cool enough to close all the windows. It’s perfect October weather.

I elected to stay home this weekend and keep the home fires burning. I built a camp fire last night, and invited my son and his friend, L for dinner. I got a good fire going and they both took over tending it for the night. We roasted hot dogs on sticks, and then made s’mores for dessert. We used the ‘cheater’ method this time. (One roasted marshmallow between two Keebler fudge-striped graham cookies). Way yummy, too.

 

DSC_3742 copy 2

I got lots of chores done, cleaned the yard up some, washed all of the bird feeders, and even carved a jack-o-lantern, and set out pumpkins and gourds for display. It was truly a nice, quiet time.

George has had several good walks this weekend, too, and he’s super glad about that.

Oh, and I heard this nice tune, as well:

Just hit play and keep reading ~

It’s just such a lovely melody. I could let the words make me feel sad, but I’m choosing not to. Sometimes you just have to make a choice.

 

DSC_3749 copy 2

I went outside with the macro lens this afternoon and took all of the shots in this post.

 

 

DSC_3761 copy 2

A glimpse of the old manor house in the early afternoon sunshine.

 

 

DSC_3771 copy 2

The days may not be so bright and balmy—yet the quiet and melancholy that linger around them is fraught with glory. Over everything connected with autumn there lingers some golden spell—some unseen influence that penetrates the soul with its mysterious power. ~Northern Advocate

 

 

DSC_3777 copy 2

Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons. ~Jim Bishop

 

 

DSC_3784 copy 2

I shot everything on F 6.3 in manual mode, adjusting the speed and the ISO for each image. There was a time when I didn’t know how to work the camera, but I’ve finally figured out the basics, I guess.

 

DSC_3818 copy 2

I sat outside today and this was my view to the front. George napping.

 

 

DSC_3816 copy 2

My sitting chair.

 

 

DSC_3823 copy 2

Looking up from my chair and hoping that I don’t get hit with a hickory nut.

 

So how are things in your neck of the woods?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

123 Signature[5]

24 comments:

Cloudia said...

Lovely here, but lovelier THERE right now, I think, Dear.

MOST enjoyable post. Thanks

ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3

jinxxxygirl said...

Enjoying the coolness of the season. The fact that the sun feels warm on shoulders and back and is not baking me. Fall makes me want to wander.... just get out and be in it..absorb it.... try to hang on to it just a little longer......

Things are a little unsettled around here.......throwing around the idea of hubby retiring...... living off of less...... being happy with that...... deciding where we want to live after leaving CA...... Lots of decisions to be made......the life changing kind.....and that can be scary... Wishing you alot more wonderful Fall days! Hugs! deb

Jill of All Trades said...

We're still in the throws of summer here with the temps topping 90 today. Hopefully the weather will change soon. I'm ready for it and I can't believe I am saying that.

JaneK said...

Lovely and peaceful post.... Thanks

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds like the best kind of weekend. All the fall chores about done here, leaves almost gone, and it's looking like November!

Michelle said...

I'm smiling because I could hear the Kate I first got acquainted with on this blog. The photos are lovely, too. Here's praying you get to hold the golden moments in your hand for longer each time.

thewiildmagnola said...

great photo peeks into your world, your loves!

autumn is my favorite season. welcoming.

thewiildmagnola said...

great photo peeks into your world, your loves!

autumn is my favorite season. welcoming.

Sabrina Steyling said...

Such gorgeous photos, as always! I am not a fan of the dropping temps, but I do love the colors of autumn. By the way, that last photo and your comment about not getting hit with hickory nuts reminded me of my childhood home; our neighbors whose backyard was right up against ours had this gigantic tree in their yard and it dropped hickory nuts all over the place; sometimes we'd be having parties out in the yard or my sister and I would just be playing and we'd have to dodge those buggers so much it was like the squirrels were playing dodgeball with us! My family and I hated those nuts. :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Our autumn colours are at their best here too - especially the beech and the horse chestnut trees. And the weather has been kind. Autumn, my favourite season.

Country Gal said...

Lovely post and photos ! It is quiet in our neck of the woods . Leaves are slowly being cleaned up , the weather has been lovely sunny and mild , chilly at night with frost in the mornings , gardens are bare , birdies are active feasting at the feeders , Miggs having fun and snoozing . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

Linda Kay said...

The dropping acorns on the metal roofs or on our heads are entertaining to say the least. We sweet them off our driveway every day, and next day they are all back there again. Enjoyed your relaxing day.

Annie said...

What a wonderful post. Thoughtful, beautiful photos, and relaxing. My part of the world is just now starting to become autumn. Still lots of leaves on the trees that have survived the drought And we're keeping our fingers and toes crossed that CA will be blessed by Mother Nature with much-needed rain this fall and winter.

BB said...

I love this series of pics Dear Kate... and I love the choices you are making. Things in MY neck of the woods are slowly improving... although hot and dry and not nearly so pretty as your shots here.

BB

Carolynn Anctil said...

Things have turned Cold - as in snowy cold. Brrr...hoping for a warming trend in the next few days. In the meantime, our fireplace is getting plenty of use.

Blessings,
Carolynn
A Glowing Ember

Bluebird49 said...

Hubby had begged for "wienie roast" all summer...our pickin' buddies" wanted an oyster roast. We combined them Friday night by the Blackwater River---and then played and sang til after 2 am! I'm too old for this stuff--but it took me back to a good place for awhile.
Besides, I had 2 nice (and cute) young men shucking oysters for me faster than I could eat them! Whatever did I do to deserve this!? (Shrug--I'll take it!)

Your pictures...so beautifully perfect, as always--and I love seeing "Boy George", he's our rock star!
You had a nice weekend! I'm so glad for you, Kate! So did I--(and even though I've paid for it since, the memory will be worth it.) :)

To choices, lady!

xoxo, "Sybil"

beth said...

we also had the most glorious weekend weather wise and made the best of it….

did you see my sandhill cranes on FB??

i feel winter coming…just a little bit, but it's there…and i'm okay with that. after all these years of hating it, i'm going to try to love it this year.

miss you!!!
xo

Daryl said...

i am so late to the party .. coming off my trip to Amsterdam was easy compared to all the packing and packing/moving related stress .. so sitting here this morning reading your post was like a mini vacation...

Nan said...

Our leaves are just about all off the trees, but the quiet beauty of late fall is lovely. This was such a nice posting. Thank you.

Candace said...

Lovely and perfect, Kate.

Annie said...

ooh..I love the blue chair. I have one just like it here, right across the other side of the world, n my front verandah. A great spot to sit Though not quite as rural as at your place.

Love the fall photos. Hope you are enjoying your time with your son in..hmm..cant remember where? Norway? Look forward to seeing some very interestingly different photos soon from there!

We had a little halloween session here last night at my daughter's place. After many years in NYC they cant let Halloween go past without the dressing up and the trick or treating!

Thinking of you Kate!

mrs mediocrity said...

what a great bunch of photos... november has arrived with grey skies and bare branches, october flew right by. xoxo

sharon said...

love the smore idea. Have to try that one. I'm so jealous of your fall pics. We don't have much of a fall here, the leaves aren't as vibrant as what ya'll have.

JC said...

The woods are full of color but I still would like to have Summer back.