Tuesday, October 2, 2012

You’re the honey and the moon

I realized I hadn’t written for several days; I get like this, you know. I just get to doing things and suddenly several days have gone by. So tonight after dinner, I went outside with my camera as a fog was rolling in, planning on sharing them with you in a post.

I thought the evening was quite beautiful in its mist-enshrouded way.

You can really tell it’s October.

 

DSC_4336 copy 2

I stood under the dogwood tree out back.

 

DSC_4337 copy 2

And then moved from under it to capture the towering old black locust trees that stand guard over the property here on the hill.

 

DSC_4335 copy 2

My husband is having some issues, but all is ok. For now, anyway. Sometimes he says things and I have to guess from the clues he gives me what he’s trying to tell me. Of course, sometimes he can remember stats on horses in their racing careers and their breeding lines, so this comes and goes – this memory thing.

Tonight he said when I came inside, “Did you see Judy’s flowers?”

Now my sister’s name is Judy but I had no idea what he was talking about. He could tell I needed another clue.

“I planted them for her”, he told me.

 

DSC_4340 copy 2

I still wasn’t sure what he meant but the only flowers that are blooming right now are the mums and then suddenly -  I remembered. It was nearly a year ago when my sisters, Char and Judy, were here with me helping us through my husband’s third brain surgery. Judy borrowed the car one day and came back with all of these pretty mums that we put into planters to cheer up the place.

Later on that fall, my husband planted them and this year they are blooming quite nicely.

He calls them “Judy’s flowers.”

 

DSC_4338 copy 2

What we’re going to do with all these aloe plants is another story.

The aloe forest started with a single small plant that my husband brought home in 2008 for a burn on his arm. Four years later, we have quite the collection.

 

DSC_4342 copy 2

The fog is beautiful.

Peaceful.

 

 

DSC_4345 copy 2

I watch as my husband clears the table and our son does the dishes. Tonight I made pork chops, rice, and peas and it was pretty good. Used this pork chop recipe I found:

Pork Chops with Apples and Onions

Very autumnal and the house smelled divine while it was simmering on the stove.

 

DSC_4350 copy 2

Once she had promised Wilbur she was going to save his life, Charlotte was determined to keep her promise. Day after day, she hung from her web and waited patiently for an idea to come to her. ~excerpt from Charlotte’s Webb

 

 

DSC_4353 copy 2

We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon.  ~Konrad Adenauer

 

DSC_4341 copy 2

On my daily drive last week, I heard a tune on WXPN out of Philadelphia that I really liked. I hear a lot of excellent artists on that public radio station and we’re lucky to have it. I can hear it all the way to Baltimore whenever I go with my husband.

Here’s the song:

 

.

 

Hope you have a peaceful week, my friends and I thank you for coming by to visit today ~

123 Signature[5]

43 comments:

Nellie said...

I continue to send hugs and happy wishes your way, Kate! The pictures are wonderful!

Gone Country said...

Lovely images; so peaceful and serene. They also have a mysterious quality about them.

Hope you have a good evening. Keep looking up!

Low Tide High Style said...

Beautiful misty images. Those mums are lovely and how sweet that your husband calls them Judy's flowers. I hope you are having more good moments than bad!

xoxo Kat

susie said...

So glad you posted today. I always love your pictures, and I have to admit, when I visit, and you haven't posted anything new, I am disappointed. (Take that as a compliment, not a criticism!)

And you can post as much or as little as you want. I'll keep coming back.

We are waiting for snow out here in Colorado. Maybe a little tomorrow night.

Need A Latte Mom said...

i always love your posts, your photos are just so beautiful.

day by day.

Kerri Farley said...

I enjoyed your lovely images! Keeping you all in my thoughts!

Bluebird49 said...

Ooh--I'm always glad when I click over and you have posted anew! The misty pictures are lovely and you surprised me with your own Charlotte's web, and you go to the trouble to find just the right verse!

It has to be "interesting" to figure out what hubby's saying, to say the very least--but you always seem to manage!I'm glad you spoke about Judy's flowers--you have so many people rooting for you, Kate! People like me.

Reena said...

Your posts are always so peaceful and calming! Love the fog and it comes in. Hope all is going well with you my friend. Thinking of you.
xoxo

Mary said...

I, too am rooting for you. I stumbled across your blog one day and have been following you for the past year. I know you have trials, but you are always so thankful for your blessings. Your talent for seeing what is worth photographing, and then editing it is amazing. Thank you for taking the time to share with us out here in the land of blogs.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. I'll come back tomorrow to listen to the song. I am on my iPad right now and it wouldn't let me view or listen....so, I will be back tomorrow. :-))

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Beautiful song.

Hang in there.

becky up the hill said...

Loved hearing from you. Of course your regular readers are concerned. It's nice to get an update, but understandable if you can't..for Heaven's sake. I mean that. I was happy to see your lovely garden and fog..yes fog. Still in the grip of Summer here, with the promise of Fall coming. Also, surprised the deer have not nibbled on your mum's...Judy's flowers. Lovely.

mudmaven said...

Thanks for the beautiful, peaceful images and words. Always calming, always rejuvenating - thanks. I send positive thoughts and prayers that everything will work out. ~chris

bv said...

oh mist...be still my heart. just tonight i was whining about the dust...harvest of nuts all around us with no end in sight....sob. but soon it will be over, rain will come and i will have NO excuse for a dusty home!
love your beautiful post with pics....
bv

RURAL said...

Kate.....

I love your photographers eye, the way you take what should be a ordinary shot, and make it so much more.

We will be happy with any amount of posting that you can do.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Caroline said...

Hello my dear! So good to see your post here... I think about you often and hope all is well. Happy October...isn't it crazy? It's friggen October already!! xoxo

Michelle said...

I'd take an aloe plant off your hands!

GailO said...

So much you have packed into this post Kate... I adore these misty moisty photos! I appreciate the fact that you went out and took these when you probably just wanted to sit and relax. They are beautiful!

And this song you share is fantastic too! I never heard of Redemption before but will be listening for them now...

I bet your house was smelling divine with those apples, onions, and pork chops. Mmmm yum!

Most of all I liked the story of Judy's mums...

xoxo
Have the best of weeks!

JaneK said...

What a peaceful post..... And soul soothing pictures.... Thank you for taking the time to share

Anonymous said...

you have such a beautiful garden!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures; I love autumn colours, it has always been my favourite season.

I also love the way your husband calls the plants "Judy's flowers" - such a lovely title for a beautiful flower.

CJ x

Daryl said...

love Judy's Flowers .. and you can get pretty little gift bags at Target or Kmart and give those aloe plants as gifts ...

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Lovely photos today, especially love the buoy strung window and that glorious spider web... both full of the essense of the day.

The JR said...

I have a whole table of apples right now. I'm going to try that.

And with pears too! The trees are loaded.

Luv the pics.

Tiggeriffic said...

I went out early this morning and filled my bird baths.. Oh how the birds love them with the creeks going dry from no rain this summer. I watered my mums this morning as they are just starting to get ready to bloom.
Love your pictures and your blog.. I always look forward in reading your old posts as well as the new ones..
Have a tiggeriffic day~! ta ta for now from Iowa:)

beth said...

thinking of you a bit more today than usual....maybe it's the photos, your words, the quotes....i'm not sure. but you're in my thoughts. so is your hubby.....xoxo

Mental P Mama said...

I think about you all a lot. And you can bring me one of those aloe plants when you come to visit;)

Marilyn said...

Once she had promised Wilbur she was going to save his life, Charlotte was determined to keep her promise. Day after day, she hung from her web and waited patiently for an idea to come to her. ~excerpt from Charlotte’s Webb
he knows you'll do your best...always your best...Charlotte...
xx

Alyson | New England Living said...

Oh wow! Those are all stunning images! And they certainly look like October. I love it!

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing your world with us, take care.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are fabulous...love that enveloping fog. Whenever it's been foggy here, I'm either on the way to work or doing errands for mom on the weekend. I always miss it! And the web...I'm jealous because I must have shot 50 pics of a web on my porch and none had any merit. Hugs and peace!

Jan's camera said...

Hi Kate, those photos are stunning. I love the fog in photos. And I just love Judy's flowers. They are lovely. And that spider web. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us. And I have to try that pork chop recipe.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Kate, makes me miss autumn.

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos ! Charlotte’s Webb is my favorite child hood book I have an original tucked away ! Judy's flowers are pretty ! Have a good day my friend !

JC said...

Your photos are lovely. I just listened to the song and I think it says a lot. Just take each day and remember to enjoy the little things. It's what gets me through my days.

xo,
JC

Cloudia said...

Autumn does mesmerize



Aloha from Honolulu,

Comfort Spiral
=^..^=

> < } } ( ° >

Candace said...

Happy Autumn to you and your husband. I hope all settles down soon. Beautiful colors you are having now.

sharon said...

I love pictures of the fog. It's so mystic. Judy's flowers are looking great, love mums, they tell us fall is here. Good thoughts for your husband, it's the small happenings in life that we cherish the most.

Anonymous said...

You've beautifully captured the mystical, thoughtful magic of autumn and misty days. I'm new here and can only guess about your husband's issues, but I send a hug and said a prayer.

Em Parkinson said...

Lots of love to you AND your husband. Your positivity is and inspiration. Lovely pictures too of course! x

mrs mediocrity said...

Wat a lovely group of photos... I love a good spiderweb!

And the Judy's flower story made me smile. They look beautiful.

I still can't believe it's October.

Anonymous said...

We hardly ever get fog. some mornings we might have low clouds here @8000ft. but rarely do we get this kind of misty fog, so so gorgeous. Love Judy's flowers and that he planted them up for you two. They really are beautiful.
The spider web is perfect linked up to Charlotte's Web. That book was a favorite of mine and I read it to my children. I better get a copy sent to my son for his daughters.
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne

Lili said...

Hey the buoys look pretty cool hanging all in a row like that. We had the misty weather for a while here too. It really is very beautiful in pictures. xoxo ~Lili