Thursday, November 27, 2014

Beautiful Stockholm

My trip to Stockholm continues and although I missed Thanksgiving and family at home, I still managed to have a very nice time.

Yesterday evening, our relatives arrived and we met them for drinks at the Gold Bar at their hotel. It was very top shelf, as a friend of mine would say. You can see from the photo below why it’s called the Gold Bar.

 

DSC_4508 copy 2

The bar manager’s name is Robby and he’s from . . . of all places . . . Queens in NY. I took an instant liking to him. He was just such a nice guy. And good heavens, can he ever make a lovely cocktail.

 

DSC_4520 copy 2

I had read about this place and it was another on the list of my mental to-do’s while in Stockholm: to have a cocktail at the Gold Bar in the Nobis Hotel.

I had a specialty cocktail called the Strawberry Basil Smash - Vodka stirred with fresh strawberries, basil and ecological agave syrup. Delicious. El had a cocktail from their Temperance menu called L’Air de Panache made with ginger, mint and apple.

 

DSC_4516 copy 2

Before we left, we went to the top of the spiral staircase and I took some photos looking down. I edited this one in b&w because I liked how it looked.

 

DSC_4503 copy 2

Later we walked back to my son’s apartment which is just 10 minutes away. Lots to look at along the way with all of the shop windows aglow, holiday lights, and people out and about. The bar manager explained to us that Wednesdays in Sweden are called ‘Little Saturday’. Half the work week is over and apparently it’s cause to celebrate. And when I say celebrate, I mean imbibe. Ha ~

 

DSC_4505 copy 2

Love these pine cone lights.

 

:  :  :

 

 

Today we met at their hotel and walked over to Djurgarden, an island just south of the city, to visit the famous Vasa Museum. This museum is a must-see when you visit Stockholm. It is the only place in the world that has a preserved 17th century ship and all its artifacts. The displays are absolutely fascinating.

DSC_4630 copy 2

The Vasa Museum (Swedish: Vasamuseet) is a maritime museum in Stockholm, Sweden. Located on the island of Djurgården, the museum displays the only almost fully intact 17th century ship that has ever been salvaged, the 64-gun warship Vasa that sank on her maiden voyage in 1628. The Vasa Museum opened in 1990 and, according to the official web site, is the most visited museum in Scandinavia. Together with other museums such as Stockholm Maritime Museum, the museum belongs to the Swedish National Maritime Museums (SNMM). ~ Wikipedia

 

DSC_4592 copy 2

 

DSC_4649 copy 2

We roamed around the museum for a couple of hours, marveling at all of it. Highly recommend if you plan to visit this country.

Afterward, we walked to a café spot my son had found on Yelp. Matt is in charge of the restaurant choices and he has been amazing the entire trip. I’ve had sushi, out-of-this world burgers, a fantastic birthday dinner over in Gamla stan, and I could go on and on.

 

DSC_4667 copy 2

It was a lovely walk.

 

DSC_4546 copy 2

We crossed the bridge from the island back into the city.

 

DSC_4534 copy 2

With me stopping to take photos along the way . . .

And after a little while, we found the place we were looking for.

 

IMG_20141127_080012 copy 2

I had the best lobster soup I have ever had in my life.

(Sorry, my Maine friends . . . but it’s the truth). Combined with some rustic bread, a small salad as a side dish, and a lovely cappuccino for dessert, it was just perfect.

 

DSC_4672 copy

El & Seamus with my son, Matt.

A very good Thanksgiving day for me.

 

On the agenda for tomorrow: a boat tour of the area.

If we can book it and it’s not sold out!

123 Signature[5]

13 comments:

Sabrina Steyling said...

Wow, wow, WOW! Your photos of Sweden just keep getting more gorgeous! I'm totally in love. That spiral staircase is amazing, and all of the outdoor photos are mesmerizing. The pinecone lights are really neat, too. And while I've never had lobster soup, but that bowl looks so good! :)

alphabet soup said...

Wonderful photo of staircase - I have an irrational dislike of spiral staircases. I will only use then if the alternative is death.

Ms Soup

Mersad said...

Magnificent travel photography. I could stare at these shots for hours.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Country Girl said...

Ms. Soup ~
Didn't mean to freak you out. This was a wide spiral stairscase. Regardless, it was too many stairs to climb so we took the elevator up.

Debbie From Illinois said...

Kate these photos are amazing!!!!

JaneK said...

Amazing! I love that the lights are not the same ole candy canes, Christmas trees, etc. just gorgeous.
Glad you are having such an amazing time!

Daryl said...

sweet shots all .. the museum is amazing (much as i dont like museums i would rather be outside taking pix BUT i would make an exception to see that ship) and so is that staircase ... i think you've convinced me to add Stockholm to my list of 'i wanna go there' xo

Cloudia said...

LOVING this!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Kerri Farley said...

How Fun!! Looks like you are having a GREAT time....and I am very happy about that!!

donna baker said...

Sounds beautiful there. Burgers? Sounds better than a big whole fish dipped in chopped onions.

Pepper Medley said...

Would love to visit Sweden! Your photos are capturing it's beauty so well, Kate!

liz love said...

I love it, the photos are stunning... but when you say sushi and out of this world burger I feel like I wanna see it..., it makes me hungry... and really thank you for sharing some great photos... I feel like I've been there already.

lizappleoftheeye.blogspot.com

Hilary said...

Europe is a photographer's dream. And your post are proof that you're the dream girl who brings her to life on this side of the world. Just beautiful pics. I'm so glad that you're there enjoying it all.