Sunday, November 23, 2014

Greetings from Stockholm, Sweden

It is early morning as I write, and the streets of the city are quiet. I arrived yesterday very early and my son met me at the train – a 20 minute ride on the train from Arlanda Airport. On the advice of many, in order to avoid jetlag, I took a 2-hour nap and woke up wanting to sleep the day away. But I forced myself awake and the reward was great.

We went to the Gamla stan, one of the largest and most well-preserved medieval city centers in Europe. To say it is beautiful, is an understatement – and since a picture is worth a thousand words . . .

 

DSC_4028 copy 2

 

DSC_4025 copy 2\

DSC_4020 copy 2

 

DSC_3997 copy 2

 

DSC_3986 copy 2

The Christmas market has been set up.

 

DSC_3989 copy 2

 

DSC_3982 copy 2

A café where we had cappuccino and a treat.

 

20141122_071640 copy 2

View from our table.

 

20141122_072302 copy 2

The cappuccino was delicious and the cake was extraordinary. It was infused with coconut and had a crusty and sweet topping.

 

DSC_3957 copy 2

 

 

DSC_3954 copy 2

 

DSC_3953 copy 2

 

DSC_3952 copy 2

 

DSC_3950 copy 2

I will have more tomorrow ~ am off to the market which is below ground. The apartment where my son is staying these months is right in the center of everything and it is quite nice. The floors in the bathroom and the foyer are heated.

I am in love with this place already and am so glad I am here ~

Until tomorrow, then . . .

123 Signature[5]

22 comments:

Cloudia said...

How thrilling! I mean, I love this for YOU; but you are such a blogger that I already FEEL like I am on a marvelous trip. The hand feeding the pigeons is old and tells a story. I bet that sweet was not TOO sweet. Even a golden angel! And enough buildings to fill my eyes for lifetimes. Yes, more please! But you know what? You just have the time of your life.

ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Susan said...

Thanks for these wonderful photos!! I love seeing Stockholm through your eyes. (I am a QL reader :-)

Sheila said...

What a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Mersad said...

This is a city that is definitely on my to visit list. I love the Christmas decorations that have begun to spring up here and there. Your shots inside the cafe are so welcoming. Really great post. I hope to see more.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Country Gal said...

Oh WOW ! looks beautiful awesome photos ! Thanks for sharing with us looking forward to seeing more of your trip . Have a fantastic time !

jo said...

I'm so happy you are there and having a great time. What fun you will have with all the photos when you get home!!! Enjoy every minute, eat tons of yummy food, and share it all with us - your loyal readers.
God Bless this trip!!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

oooooh, just awe-inspiring beautiful. Thank you for bringing us along... look at all that old world architecture. it's a heaven for the photographer too!

The Weaver of Grass said...

So glad you have made the journey and arrived safely. What a lovely place it looks to be. More photos please.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you made it. Have a great holiday!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

Thank you SO much for sharing. I feel like I am on a wonderful scenic vacation myself!! What a great way to start my day!!

Tammy said...

Such a beautiful city and it sounds like you are having fun already. Enjoy your time there and I can't wait to see more through your eyes. Hugs!

donna baker said...

Looks like heaven, or the trip of a lifetime.

B-M said...

I have looked at your photos from your home and Main etc and loved them all - thinking "that would be a trip of a lifetime". Now you are on yours, in Sweded - my home... I live on the west coast but have spent a lot of time in Stockholm with reletives. Gamla stan is a favorite. And so is Skansen and the Wasa museum. There are so many places to go and so much to see. Hmm, I want to go there again soon...
Hope you get some better weather and get to see Sthlm in sunshine. It's beautifull then.

JaneK said...

Yay! Too fun :-)

Sabrina Steyling said...

Oh, Kate, these photos are gorgeous! Some of them I remember from you posting on Facebook, but a couple were new to me, and I am just in awe! Sweden is beautiful! It's funny, because I have never traveled outside the U.S., and I currently have a friend visiting her daughter in Japan, so between you and her I am getting a virtual vacation abroad LOL!

I am glad you're having such a nice time, and can't wait to hear more stories and see more photos! :)

Hilary said...

So so incredibly happy for you!!!!!
You deserve this little vacay. Enjoy every minute.

Tug said...

Love love LOVE. The photos, the feeling I get from them...the fact that you're there. Awesome.

alphabet soup said...

Yay!!!

You're there.... it looks wonderful. Have a great time.

Ms Soup

Daryl said...

did you sleep on the plane at all?

stockholm reminds me of brussels and amsterdam ... charming and i am sure easy to walk everywhere

enjoy yourself .. indulge yourself but make sure you give that knee a good rest every evening!!!

hi to matt!

Rain said...

Oh my goodness- Kate how did I miss you were visiting Sweden?! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos-have a great visit- you do deserve it!!--Rain

Debbie From Illinois said...

I was just thinking about your trip. Thanks for sharing with us. I am so happy for you!

becky up the hill said...

My goodness, heated floors, so dreamy. Happy happy for you.