Saturday, February 7, 2009

The warmth of the sun

The morning dawned cold and grey, however forecasters were predicting 50 degree temperatures by the time the day was done. So we went about our business, my husband washing the car and me lounging about in my pajamas and sheep slippers.

DSC_0207 copy 2

It's nice sometimes to lounge about in pajamas and slippers on a Saturday morning.

Well, after a couple of hours, the sun did finally come out. It was glorious! So we packed a lunch and the camera bag and headed down to Bombay Hook Nature Center along the Delaware coastline. I could feel the sun through the car window and it was so nice and warm. I closed my eyes and was surprised at how good it felt.

DSC_0227 copy 3

It was quiet when we arrived at our destination. We drove along the ponds looking for birds and wildlife. I used to think this was a total yawnfest but I like it now. It's quiet and peaceful and we can get out of the car and into the sun and take walks with George. The photo above is a walkway out to a viewing platform along one of the tributaries. It's been closed for some time for repairs and they've done a great job.

DSC_0229 copy 2

The platform has been totally refurbished, and benches have been added.

DSC_0228 copy 2

I liked how the bench backs looked against the grasses. This is PW's Seventies Action. I couldn't help it.

DSC_0233 copy 2

DSC_0232 copy

I saw two buffleheads, but the little suckers swam away real fast. I did manage to capture one of them. 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0240 copy2

A field of snow geese all looking in the same direction.

DSC_0208 copy2

And George looking in that direction, as well.

Couldn't resist at least one pic with texture and it's this last one here. I used Michelle Black's Soft Beach-Out Glaze action, then put one of her free textures over it.

What a beautiful day it turned out to be. And guess what we heard in the little neighborhood through our trees after we returned home? The ice cream man. In February!!!

Until later, my friends . . .

 

 

31 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Today is GLORIOUS! The temps are in the mid 60's, the sun is brilliant against a cloudless blue sky, and it's Saturday. What could be better?

Love your photos, Kate. The boardwalk looks inviting. I'm going to check out Michelle Black's place for some action (hahahah!).

Hope your weekend is splendiferous!

La Feroce Bete said...

It's a beautiful day in SC too!

Shelley said...

That boardwalk photo and your dog were my favorites! Glad you enjoyed your day!

cottage farm villa said...

Kate, the snow geese and George made me laugh! These are the things that give me so much joy. I just get a warmth in my heart when I view animals and the things they do! I am almost feeling like George is part of my family now. As I have told you many times...I just think he is gorgeous. We had a queensland heeler....and I think I am just so drawn to herding dogs. Another blogging friend of mine has a Corgi, his name is Simon...cute as can be too!

I was happy to hear you had such a beautiful day with your husband. I am hoping to post Monday, my date day with hubby tomorrow! I think we will go near the water too!

May the sun always shine on your face Kate! hugs, Cheryl

Sue said...

Love the field of snow geese....I bet George wanted to run after them...

Shawn said...

What a wonderful post..I felt myself relaxing just reading it and soaking in the pictures. Thank you!

Char said...

love what you've done with these shots - beautiful work and excellent composition. A walk with those you love - nothing better I tell you. What a wonderful day.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what a LOVELY place for a visit! We had temps here in the
60s today...what a blessing :)

I don't think I have ever seen snow geese before - other than on blogs. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shot of George!

What a glorious day for you!!

Daisy said...

Oh, those geese!! I would love to sit at one of those benches for hours and just watch the world go by.

Jana said...

Nice shots, Kate. I think it's neat how ya'll actually go out and visit your local nature areas. We need to do more of that ourselves!

Deedee said...

That looks like such a gorgeous place! My husband and I and Rigs the dog love to go to places like that and watch the wildlife. It looks like a beautiful day you had.

zuveena said...

wow!!! the pictures are awesome! superb!!!

dlyn said...

Beautiful photos Kate - I loe the one of the water interspersed with bunches of grass - great colors!

dlyn said...

v <- here, stick this in my last comment for me, ok?

Anonymous said...

Those snow geese were magnificent. What a wonderful day to just kick back and watch.

GailO said...

What a wonderful day!...a taste of spring like weather...you certainly took beautiful advantage of it...lovely photos! a beautiful spot! and I've been noticing how nice the sun feels in the car too!

Hilary said...

Sure looks like it was a lovely day. I really like that boardwalk photo.. the perspective is wonderful. Great shots as always, Kate.

Egghead said...

You have sheep slippers? Oh I want to see them. Those snow geese are beautiful and the day was glorious here as well.

Emily said...

George is so handsome. And I love the header photo!!!

CONTEST on my blog!

Mary said...

I think today (Sunday) is going to be a warm one here in Jersey. Yay!

Love all your photos! That looks like a beautiful place to visit. :)
xoxo,
Mary

Lyn said...

Love your shots -- especially the boardwalk perspective photo. You captured the balminess of the day Kate. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Calm and beautiful photos... We had low 70's yesterday and is forecast to be just as nice today.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

T.Allen said...

I've been hanging about getting to know you through some of your older (popular) posts. Nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping in for Tea & Honey Bread-what a pleasure.

PS I love your photos! *waves at George*

Juri said...

I found your blog, and I am so glad I did...I have just spent quite a bit of relaxing time reading many of your posts! What a great blog!! And your day sounded just wonderful. I did smile about what used to be a "yawnfest" now is glorious...so often I shock myself when I realize just how much I enjoy the wonderful quietness of nature!

Juri

Raph G. Neckmann said...

What a lovely day out! It looks like the kind of place I like to visit, (no yawnfest for me either!) I love the snow geese all facing the same way!

Ice cream in February? Of course!

Annie said...

well, now you have a visitor reader I am going to have to comment more often Kate..sorry I ahve been reading, but no time to comment...

Just LOVE yr photos today... the snow geese, George of course...and the path thru the grass...just wonderful!

Have been glued to news re the bushfires here in Australia...a tragic situation...I just am so relieved my family in victoria are ok..now it is getting warm/hot dry and windy here in Queensland today!

Annie

Susan English Mason said...

Isn't it amazing how geese do things in unison? George is a beautiful dog.

Jill of All Trades said...

Beautiful pictures. I felt like I took the walk with you.

Daryl said...

Niiiice ... I would have enjoyed spending Sunday with you ... I loafed around til almost 3 before I went out to walk a few errands .. and it was NOT as warm as advertised

ELK said...

thank you for taking me along on this vivid and most delightful journey...I needed it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.