Sunday, June 7, 2009

Down time

I accomplished everything I set out to do today, and am rewarding myself with some treats and something good for dinner.

The trick to accomplishing my daily goals, I’ve found, is to not have many.

DSC_0138 copy 2

So this afternoon, I’m having table water crackers smeared with strawberry cream cheese and topped with blueberries. This is just a slight variation from last week’s cracker ensemble.

I think it looks very healthy, don’t you?

DSC_0135 copy 2

And because my favorite bottle stopper is now broken, I’m switching to this one. I’ve had it for years, having purchased it in an eclectic gift shop on Ocracoke Island in North Carolina. And since the Belmont horse race was on today, and it’s a Saturday, I’m taking the helm at dinner tonight.

DSC_0144 copy 2

Tonight I’m serving a recipe I found on Pioneer Woman’s site. Contrary to popular belief, this is not the only blog I read in the blogosphere. But she does have some pretty tasty recipes and this one is her Chicken Scallopine.

My husband pronounced it ‘tasty’ which rates fairly high on the taste meter I’ve come to know for the past 50 years. Well not really 50 years, although it does seem like it sometimes.

I don’t post many recipes, but the ones I do are both delicious and are easy to make. This one took a half hour from start to finish.

I cut the recipe into thirds because it’s just the two of us. And still, I could have had just a bit more mushroom sauce. But it was quite nice paired with a chardonnay from Rodney Strong vineyards.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great bottle stopper! Ooohing and aaahing going on over here at my place.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jo Whitehurst said...

PW is on the menu at our house tonight, too! Although, I did not opt for the "good for you" category. I did marathon grocery shopping this afternoon and found that a can of crescent rolls had burst. So, what to do? Throw together some yummy apple dumplings!

Love the beautiful stopper! And would probably love what's in the bottle as well. Be well and enjoy the evening!

Mental P Mama said...

I think PW is feeding the nation;) And I like this bottle stopper almost as much as the monkey....but not quite.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

love the stopper. very cool. And the food looks de-licious!

Jan :)

Unknown said...

I always love your wonderful descriptions of the most perfect evenings imaginable.


Just wonderful. Ocracroke Island is one of my most favorite places to be in the world.

Ellen said...

Love the stopper - so cheerful and inviting on a bottle that want's to be emptied.

Sarah Anne said...

"The trick to accomplishing my daily goals, I’ve found, is to not have many."

My new motto. I love it.

Need A Latte Mom said...

Your blog is wonderful as always. You always do such a beautiful job.

becky up the hill said...

I think your cracker snack rocks..funny thing..if my husband loves something I make, he says it's 'tasty' too. I always counter back. 'Oh, I got the tasty award!'..I'm checking out that chicken..thanks!

Woman in a Window said...

Delicious. And to think I had cold pizza. There is something wrong with this picture...erm, my picture, that is.

olivia said...

Add me to the 'oohingandahing over that stopper' list.

And my stomach just growled ... mmm, that looks tasty.

Heather said...

Your new choice for bottle stopper's is so nice!! Your treats look and sound delicious, and {oh my goodness} - your dinner!!! - I'm drooling all over the place here :)

Deb said...

I love the wine stopper. It is so beautiful and I've never seen anything like it before.

Your food post looks scrumptious! never would have thought to mix strawberries cream cheese and berries. Oh Yum!

Daryl said...

I love you mix fruits/berries and metaphors .. there's a horse race so you took the helm .. works for me .. we went out to dinner.. big portions and a heady mixed berry Marg equals me yawning all the way home and the falling asleep while sitting/schlumped on the couch ... hey, schlumped is not schtupted.

Hilary said...

It's too early for drooling.. darn ya!

Leenie said...

The photos of the glass and the food were very fine! Now I am hungry and thirsty. Keep on blogging!

Char said...

looks yummy!! I need to explore her recipes more than I do. I also love smitten kitchen.

ELK said...

oh the crackers and wine under the very beautiful stopper is a nice reward and break....cheers!

Anonymous said...

I was so rooting for Calvin Borel and Mine That Bird in the Belmont. We(my husband and I) have known Calvin for years and I sure hoped he would make history by being the first to win all 3 races on 2 different mounts.But it was not to be. I too,love most of Pioneer Woman's recipes.But with just me here now it is hard for me to make them. I wind up eating the same thing for weeks! LOL Doris

Tess Kincaid said...

Mmm...looks dee-lish!

suezoos1 said...

If you like PW's site you must check out "Chickens in the Road" -
http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/

Great stories, photos and food!!
I never miss her daily entry..I promise you will like it..

imom said...

That meal looks delicious! I really miss pasta. :(

abb said...

That looks like my kind of dinner. Now come on up here and whip it up for me!