Saturday, June 6, 2009

Graduation is always a bittersweet affair

Our school’s commencement exercises are Sunday evening and although I sometimes bemoan the fact that faculty attendance is mandatory, I always, ALWAYS end up being glad that I’m there.

Part of my reluctance to attend is probably because I’m always the photographer and I fret a little because I get anxious as to how the photos will turn out. But I’d much prefer being behind a lens than in front of one. And part of it is because it marks the end of another year that’s passed in my life, and students that I really enjoy will no longer be walking the halls laughing with their friends, or visiting me in the office.

DSC_0087

I took this photo last year of my friend and co-worker Margie (she’s on the left) with two of her former students. Mary Ellen (center) and Kate (right) graduated in 2002 and are friends of my eldest son. They all took art classes with Margie. You may remember her and Mary Ellen from my NYC trip last December. Mellon’s aunt has a cool apartment in Greenwich Village and she let us have it for the weekend. I thought it had two bedrooms. But it had two rooms. And the bed was actually in the kitchen, which I thought could be convenient for midnight snacking purposes. Or to get a chilled glass of wine. You could sit at the edge of the bed and open the frig!! It was fun.

I always look forward to the alum who continue to attend graduations at our school. Sometimes it’s because they have a younger sibling who’s graduating, and sometimes it’s to see someone they know. But always, it’s good to see former students and to see that they are doing well.

DSC_0069 copy2

These are alum from the year my youngest graduated (2005). The young men in this picture spent countless weekends at our home from the time they were in 6th grade and I loved seeing them again.

*** sigh ***

Hope you have a wonderful Saturday.

22 comments:

Jo said...

I love graduation pictures. They're on the cusp -- ending one phase of life and starting another. You can almost see the future shining in their eyes.

Char said...

beautiful shots - you are so good but I know the case about worrying.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, don't sigh..... what beautiful memories they are and they'll always be with you.

*smiles*

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Flea said...

Awww! What handsome younguns. It certainly is bittersweet.

Sarah Anne said...

One more year and I'll be graduated, too! Yes!

Pony Girl said...

We have graduation for our elementary school, it's very formal, faculty process in. It's wonderful to see the kids, they make such amazing speeches! This year I will see children graduate that I first taught as 4 year olds. Sniff!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I work at a school also! I love almost everything about it! Summers off are nice too!

Mental P Mama said...

You were the hangout house??? So are we! I love it, and I love these shots...home from the Bird's grad--and all was well;)

noble pig said...

So beautiful. I love how the pots turned out. Lovey memories.

Jill of All Trades said...

It's awesome to watch them grow into adults and leave the "nest". How very exciting. Carla

Daryl said...

Oh graduation is a double whammy .. happy and sad at the same time .. happysad ... sadhappy ... tears of joy and pride ..

I went back to look at the winter NYC pix, I had forgotten you were down at the former WTC ... and how handsome elder son is ...

Carol E. said...

Oh, yes! yes! I'm on the mom end of the graduation experience this year. My son finished college. It was so wonderful! And sad! And all those lovely friends of his! oh, sadness descends as they all go their separate ways. But I'm so happy he had that wonderful experience. (And I'm thankful for the faculty who attend with big smiles.)

Unknown said...

What great shots and everyone is so beautiful...I always love going to graduations because it is symbolic of new beginnings.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

Deb said...

Graduates! Ahh..they've just passed a monumental moment in their lives. It is a breathe of fresh aire.

Anonymous said...

These are really lovely photos. I guess you see a lot of graduations.

CJ xx

boubou said...

Bonjour ! First time i come across your blog so i'm gonna visit it now :)
Well if you wanna be inspired by my collages or just dream, come and visit my blog :)
a bientot!
Boubouteatime

Woman in a Window said...

Young people like this amaze me. I was at a beach today and I was swinging (of course I was) and there were some teenagers there. I expected them to be talking about boys or WHATeva' but instead they were talking of international politics and prospects for their futures. I snorted. 39 and I was shoeless on the swings. I think I missed that conversation when I was in highschool. Such potential, these young people!

abb said...

Memories - in the making or old - are always so very good. A bittersweet time of year...

imom said...

I always cry at graduations... Next year it will be my son's turn, wow!

Anonymous said...

Fun! I miss those house filled w/boys weekends!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics. Are you a teacher as well as a "country girl?" I taught h.s. English for around 8 years before leaving to stay home with the kids--thinking about heading back to the classroom now that they're in school. My son just had his kindergarten graduation. I'll be posting those adorable pics pretty soon. ;)

Lori
hintonrae.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.