Thursday, June 2, 2011

Milk & honey and an empty tent


I apologize, in advance, for the quality of the photos in this post. The first few were taken with one hand, while driving. Don’t worry – I was going really slow and I was on our driveway. Because the pictures were so bad, I covered them with a little Milk & Honey, one of the Color & Haze actions from the Florabella Collection that mellows everything out.

I could use a little Milk & Honey every day, if you know what I mean.

But today was a great day, actually. And despite the tremendous workload at school, I still found time to laugh about stuff with my favorite co-workers. I love most everyone that I work with, but Bonnie and Rich crack me up like nobody’s business.

The day began with a tree down on my way out the driveway early this morning. Luckily it wasn’t a heavy one and I was able to move it far enough to the side to get the car through. It must have been a pretty funny sight with me in my good work clothes and high heels dragging a tree, but I knew I could do it. Then I texted my husband and asked if he could take the chain saw down there.



DSC_0001 copy 2

Coming home, I noticed him and George coming down the driveway. You can barely make them out in this photo and, like I said, I took it with one hand, while driving. I pulled up next to them and found out they were checking for downed limbs, several of which I’d already cleared on my way up. I guess the time had gotten away from my husband because he usually checks before I come up the driveway when we have winds like we had today.

He told me that George wanted to ride in the car with me for the rest of the ride.


DSC_0004 copy 2

Which he did. He loves rides in the car.


DSC_0008 copy 2

This is a rare occurrence because I hardly ever post self-portraits. I also look especially messy in the hair department, but who cares? I yam what I yam and I like riding with the windows down and the wind blowing my hair from here to Timbuktu.

I usually look much more glamorous than this.

Ok, maybe not.

I don't wear heels either, as long as I'm being honest here.


DSC_0011 copy 2

This is a snapshot taken from the staircase leading to the master bedroom. The weather was incredible today, with low humidity, clear skies, and the most pleasant breezes all day long.

There is a scent of honeysuckle in the air as the wind blows the lace curtains in the dining room here.


DSC_0015 copy 2
I noticed that my husband has set up the tent in the yard. It had been so hot sleeping in the bedroom, he told me, that he thought maybe it would be more pleasant to sleep outside. I thought he did it because he was upset that we’re not going to be camping in Maine, after all.

What? What did she just say?


I said we will not be camping on our vacation in Maine. Miracle upon miracle, I have found a cottage. It’s nowhere near where my husband had specified but it’s exactly where I want to be. I really will miss not having the opportunity to sleep on an air mattress and put quarters into a slot just to take a shower and the joy of washing up in a communal bathroom, not to mention having to deal with the weather and the bugs.

Please don’t misunderstand me.

I enjoy camping and it can be fun. We used to camp all the time. In fact, we backpacked sections of the Appalachian Trail a lot during our youth and took our sons backpacking when they got old enough.

But I just don’t feel like working that hard at this point.

And I am so thankful that I finally found a place. It is truly such a relief ~

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me (with the camping thing and to keep on searching) and to the people who even sent me links to places I should check out. You guys are awesome. And apologies for harping on it all just a little too much. Please forgive me for that.

Until tomorrow . . .
123 Signature

39 comments:

Gone Country said...

Yay! I am so happy that you found a place and I'm taking it that your hubby agreed?! I can't wait to see picture!

What a sight you must have been this morning moving that tree!

Thanks for posting some George pics... I just love them! And he does seem thrilled to be riding in the car! Does George get to go on vacation too?

Country Girl said...

Absolutely George goes on vacation. He loves Maine and was actually born in Ellsworth.

~ C.G.

sharon said...

We use to camp, but the older I get the more I love a bed. Plus I can't sleep with all of the bugs singing in chorus. have fun on your trip to Maine!

Hilary said...

You and George both look gleeful, and you look great!!! Glad you found some place.......It's all about compromise.....and HE needs to.
Ha!!

Anonymous said...

Harp all you want. I don't like camping at all. Give me a nice hotel with room service and I'll go anywhere on vacation!

You and George look so sweet in the car. Rowdy always sticks his head up by me and kissed my ears when I'm driving. Dogs. I swear if they could drive the car themself they would!

Di

TexWisGirl said...

hi george! your mom looks happy!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

Congrats!!!!

beth said...

i was totally gonna jump you on the high heels earlier, but then you confessed :)

congrats on the cottage find....although there goes the extra blog fodder....LOL

beth said...

oops, that was supposed to high heels comment....oh well, you know what i mean :)

Reena said...

Yippi yi yah and all that! Although, I was really looking forward to those camping posts ... great material!
You and George ... well, you all make a sweet couple!

Ellen said...

Good for you. Now you can really enjoy your vacation.

Bluebird49 said...

OK.
1. Thanks for confessing about the heels--I WAS GETTING JEALOUS.
2. Thanks for the photo of you and B&W--because you have a wonderful smile, smiling eyes--and hey--at least you have plenty of hair. I do not.
3. Thanks for another picture of the inside of the house--you know I love them.
4. Thanks for scaring the heck out of me with the tent--I thought you had caved. Which would have made you a cave woman in a tent..not a good thing.
5. Thanks for posting as much as you do--I never miss a turn around the Manor each day. Wish I could remember whose blog where I first found your link --I'd at least thank THEM!
6. SO--THANKS!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

All the "harping" paid off! LOL!!

OMG, your hubby was born in Ellsworth, does he know the Pomroys?

Mary

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

LOL!! Just realized you were talking about the dog! Ha, ha, ha! Never mind . . . !!!!

bv said...

well good...you don't have to put together a 'cute little camping outfit' and buck up! i am so glad. you deserve a real rest vacation! also, the pic of you and george...you are beautiful. you have shared enough bits of yourself for me to see just how beautiful you are. and i am so wanting your hair...
bv

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

See, I told you it would work out :) So, where in Maine are you going to be staying?! I am so curious so know if its somewhere I've been before. There are so many awesome places in that state!

becky up the hill said...

I am so happy you found a place. I didn't want you to have to go camping. JOY!

Country Girl said...

I would do the Snoopy dance if I could. Oh, wait. I can!

~ C.G.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

I love that you found a place! And yes, I have to say....a coating of milk does make things all better;) June IS dairy month, after all!

GailO said...

I thought the Mr was checking the tent for leaks before you left on vacation:) So glad for you that you found a place! Is it still on the island?

forgetmenot said...

Congratulations on finding "the place" in Maine. It will definitely be much more comfortable than camping out.
"Good times" just ahead!! Our little papillon, Aspen, loves to ride in the car too. At the sound of the word "ride" he is off like a shot waiting at the door to take his "ride". Have a lovely weekend. Mickie :)

Caroline said...

Ohhhh loving all the photos you posted...cool vintage vibe. And you know what? I don't wear heels either :) Like you and George together...so sweet!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am with you all the way with camping - if there is a midge within a mile it will find me. I once encountered the arrival of the midge in Nova Scotia - they were enormous and terrifying. I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

Daryl said...

I thought HEELS? Did she say HEELS? Hey wanna come into the city this weekend .. I am trying to get Lauren to bring in Annie and Jules .. tomorrow is Annie's birthday we could do lunch on Sunday ...

jinxxxygirl said...

I camp ......but i have camping rules.......no summer camping! I don't do hot and bugs. I like camping after the first freeze has killed out alot of misquitos and its actually chilly enough at night that the campfire feels good. Or early spring before it gets too warm. So glad you found a place to stay and your vacay will happen. Have fun!

Linda said...

My dog likes to ride in the truck too. Just say the word 'ride" and she's at the back door waiting:) When the ELPH is home I call from the end of the drive and he 'releases the hound!'. She runs up the drive while i get the mail and I drive her down to the house. It's only about 5 car lenghths long but she loves it!

Skogkjerring said...

Great news about the cottage, glad you found something that works for you both!
Love your husband´s idea about sleeping outside. I remember visiting homes in the south that had big enclosed porches where they would put beds during the summer months because it was just too hot to sleep inside! I always thought that would be so neat to sleep out on a porch in the summer months!!
Love the photo of you and George...looks so familiar although I usually have three or four heads behind me...hehehehe...
Have a great evening Kate :-))

Lili said...

Oh Kate I love that self portrait of you and George, you look so carefree and happy!! And so glad to hear I'm not the only one that doesn't wear heels and enjoys the glamorous look of windswept hair! So you gonna maybe sleep out in the tent for a night just for old times sake? I mean it's a shame to waste a pitched tent you know. xoxo ~Lili

Tess Kincaid said...

I adore the self portrait of you and George. LOVE it. Thanks for the smiles.

ELK said...

George is enjoying the ride it seems ..I am so GLAD you do not wear heels, I was wondering..tents are for the young (er) ..i am with you too much work!!

Mental P Mama said...

Yay!!!!!!! George!!!!!! Flat shoes!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

Donna S. said...

You worried me for a minute. Thot we were a lot more different than I thought when you said high heels! No high heels for me & love wind blown hair! And no more tent camping for me either. Way past that. It was fun when we were younger.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Oh, I'm so glad (we're) not tenting it. I look forward to (our) cottages photos and experience :-)

Deb said...

good to hear you found a place...love the photo of you and George...

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I am NOT a camper...I'll happily stay outside all day and into the evening...but give me a nice hotel or cottage with air conditioning (remember, I'm from the deep South) once it's time to go to bed ;)

Kerri Farley said...

SO glad you found a place! And I'm sure your hubby will be happy when he gets there. LOVE the shot of you and George :)

Mary said...

First of all, I'm so glad that you found someplace to stay... Vacation should not be more work than, well, being at work!

Secondly, I love those little glimpses of the house, especially that last one of the door -- beautiful.

Thirdly, I cannot imagine how I got to be so behind in my visiting... I am a bad, bad blogger! Hope your weekend was happy!
xoxo

The JR said...

You and Georgie look happy!

mrs mediocrity said...

Well, hey, he can pretend to camp and get it all out of his system! And you can have the bed all to yourself for a few nights. Sounds like a win-win to me...