Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Scenes from the Italian Market, Phila.

I spent the weekend with a couple of blogging friends, and we all met in Philadelphia on Saturday morning. We didn’t have a real plan for the day, other than the fact that we wanted to take lots of photographs. I picked up Daryl and Reena at the train station, then drove to the Italian Market and parked right on 9th Street and walked to Nina’s Trattoria for lunch. You can see it on the lower right of the photo below. I was starving because I’d forgotten to eat breakfast before setting off from Maryland.



DSC_4355 copy 2

I recognized Frank Rizzo right away. When he was on the police force, he used to patrol the Italian Market area. This mural was refurbished in 2010 which is why it looks so good today.



DSC_4360 copy 2

I love the murals. This one is so colorful.



DSC_4354 copy 2

I just loved walking around this place.



DSC_4363 copy 2


DSC_4361 copy 2



DSC_4366 copy 2

Getting ready for Palm Sunday this coming weekend.



DSC_4368 copy 2

One thing that upset me was the fact that my niece, Emily, and her husband Joe were in the Italian Market at the very same time that I was. And I didn’t hear their text come through on my phone until later that afternoon when I happened to check.

I am so sorry, Em ~ I would have loved to see you and Joe!



DSC_4372 copy

Lunch at Nina’s Trattoria was a wonderful mushroom and goat cheese quiche served with farm greens. Excellent food and great coffee.



DSC_4385 copy 2

Coolness abounds.



DSC_4388 copy 2

A little side street.



DSC_4382 copy 2



DSC_4391 copy 2

This telephone pole covered with colorful advertisements caught my eye.

: : :

Tomorrow I’ll share the rest of our journey. Hope you don’t mind coming for the ride.

Until then, my friends . . .

123 Signature[5]

28 comments:

fighting mermaid said...

Beautiful pictures. I so miss Philadelphia. Brings back such wonderful memories.

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos ! Looks like a great day had by all ! Cant wait to see more , thanks for taking us with you ! Have a good day !

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Beautiful! I loved being able to enjoy it virtually through your images. Glad you had a good time.

Christie - Fine Lines said...

My mouth was absolutely watering as I took in the Italian Market photos!!

beth said...

i don't mind the ride at all....and oh, that umbrella photo is FANTASTIC !!
xoxo

Cloudia said...

You're killin` me LOL!

I'm even nostalgic to see Rizzo...He said his cops made Attila the Hun look like a "Gay Slur Here."


Simpler times - GREAT SHOTS OF TODAY :-)


Warm Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

>< } } ( ° >

GailO said...

I love all these bright colors! Nice that you found color in all the rain...or maybe it shows up better because of the grey skies.

Also love the look of that food:)

Someday I hope to join you!

Gail said...

Your adventures are always a joy. Loving the creative art.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Beautiful! Also, that quiche and salad look delectable and not just because I'm starving right now.

Glad you all had a good time. As always the pictures make us feel like we're right there with you. Pass the quiche.

Hilary said...

I love seeing photos of your day with Daryl and Reena.. times 3!

wayne15575 said...

I love it when we get to go with you on a visit somewhere new and exciting. Thanks for sharing, can't wait until tomorrow.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I LOVE coming for the ride. And ooh, the food. The girl with the red umbrella shot looks like a 1970's commercial!....

Rachel Spinuzzi said...

Lovely photos, made me very hungry first thing this morning. Loved all the colors. Now I need to plan a trip to Philadelphia.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a twitter handle so @italianmarket can share your posts with our followers?

Daryl said...

Too funny .. how we got almost all the same photo ops which we interpreted differently ... I've got that vintage vinyl on mine today ... somehow I missed that cool pole with the old signs and I skipped Rizzo and now I am not sure why ... You and Em should join FourSquare (I am sure they have it for Droids) it tells you when friends you know are where you are!

BB said...

*Adds Philadelphia to Visit Wish List*

Wonderful. What a GREAT way to spend a day...

:-)
BB

thotlady said...

I visited Philadelphia once back in 1999, a delightful city. So much to see and experience.

cathy @ Noble Pig said...

Wow, you are so lucky to have these places close by...beautiful photos and culture

Mary said...

These pics just made me smile, Kate. :) Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! xoxo

Linda said...

Really like the umbrella shot!

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE those Murals! And LOVE your street photography too!

Lili said...

Your cityscapes are always so much fun to see. You really capture the culture and all the things I would imagine would catch my eye too. Love Italian food and yep I could eat it for breakfast too. xo ~Lili

Cathy said...

I have never been there...now I want to go! Great photos, especially all the murals. Thanks.

mrs mediocrity said...

What a wonderful little ride it was... and yes, that umbrella photo, oh my!

Country Girl said...

No Twitter handle. Sorry!

~ C.G.

Reena said...

I always enjoy seeing Philly through your eyes. I always find it amazing how although walking the same street, our cameras capture different sites.

JC said...

You sure do get around. I would love to have been there. My Grand Father came from Italy. My Mom was adopted so I'm Italian in my soul.

(GBS) NewsFromTheHill said...

I really need to spend a weekend in Philly. I haven't been there in over 35 years!!!