Friday, March 9, 2012

Summer in the light, and winter in the shade

It’s Friday evening and for the record, I’d like to state that for the second time this week, my husband is getting dinner together. This is a milestone here because since his surgery in October, he’s stayed away from the kitchen.

Part of me thought he was pretending to not remember how to get dinner on the table by 6 pm (which is what he prefers) so I continued to do it. But halleluiah ~ my husband is doing it up tonight again.

: : :

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade. ~Charles Dickens

: : :

 

DSC_3519 copy 2

Today was a day off from school for me, and marks the first time in 14 years that we’ve been able to use our March day off rather than use it as a snow day.

I went out to take photos this morning, and then again, later in the day. It got up to about 54 degrees here today, and when the sun was out, it was quite pleasant. A little windy, but still nice.

 

DSC_3523 copy 2

Nuthatch on the dogwood tree.

 

DSC_3571 copy 2

Tufted titmouse on the picnic table.

 

DSC_3585 copy 2

Male cardinal.

 

 

DSC_3593 copy 2

Trees on the bud.

 

 

DSC_3595 copy 2

And a junco on the dogwood.

 

 

 

DSC_3707 copy 2

One for Daryl’s Three on Thursday . . .

 

 

DSC_3702 copy 2

. . . a small altercation in the yard this afternoon . . .

 

 

DSC_3613 copy 2

. . . and a male house finch to finish it all off ~

: : :

The naked earth is warm with Spring,
And with green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun's kiss glorying,
And quivers in the sunny breeze.

~Julian Grenfell

: : :

Enjoy your weekend, all ~

123 Signature[5]

28 comments:

Lili said...

That Charles Dickens has got it right for sure. Hope the juncos are making their way South. Their absence here means Winter is over. Love seeing the buds on your branches and you just have a way with bird photography. Your captures are an instant spirit lifter. xo ~Lili

alphabet soup said...

Hey, I'm right on the game today, you only posted 30+ minutes ago!! My Soup Plate award today goes to the tufted titmouse on the picnic table. The intersecting iron rods and the straight and curved lines do the trick. Oh dear, hope that isn't too analytical....
By the way whose picnic table is it? The birds or yours? And just what are those metal rods about anyway?

Enough of the interrogation.

Ms Soup

Unknown said...

you amaze me..

( glad to hear about your husband cooking)

Low Tide High Style said...

Glad your husband feels up to cooking again. And I see you put your day off to very good use, love the photos!

Kat :)

Country Girl said...

The picnic table belongs to the birds and the squirrels. And as for the iron contraption, it's just something we acquired along the years. Have no idea what it is, but will post a picture of it later. It was probably a small plant stand at one time, emphasis on small.

~ C.G.

Kerri Farley said...

OH Kate ..... what a GREAT way to end the week! Stunning images my friend!
So glad your hubby is in the kitchen again :)

Anonymous said...

Lucky you...a day off. I want one with absolutely nothing to do on the agenda. So glad you enjoyed your day. And the 'altercation' photo is my fave...it reminds me of how my week went at work. But, looking at this, I can at least laugh about it now!

A New England Life said...

I'm so glad your husband is cooking again, Kate! It must be nice to have a break from the kitchen not to mention he must like being able to get back a little more of his normal routine.

Those red buds are just glorious. I can hardly wait to see them here in my yard!

JaneK said...

there's a children's book in this post somehow....

Lee Owenby said...

Happy your husband is cooking again. Love today's photos. And I agree with JaneK about the children's book.

Dawning Inspiration said...

What a fun time you must have had capturing those beautiful birds... love them.

Cloudia said...

"Tufted"
*Snicker*



Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

>< } } ( ° >

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Your buds are ahead of ours by a few weeks, I'd say.

barbara l. hale said...

Wonderful!! Fun glimpse of these nice little birdies.

Alli said...

Love the cardinal. Such soft colors for a bright bird.

beth said...

i love to watch those bird altercations :)

oh lord, we were at our cottage today (60 degrees) and our trees are budding out there, too and i hope it's not too early.

i pretty much love the "threes" photo. it's as if they middle bird is purposely staying between the two on the ends until they can learn to get along :)
xoxoxo

wayne15575 said...

That is great news about your husband. I went through something similar with my lovely wife when she had a cyst removed from her brain.
God bless you for all your strength and patients. One day at a time dear. One day at a time.

Hilary said...

Beautiful, as always. The house finches are making their brief appearances here too. Sigh.. I love spring.

Marcie said...

Such beautiful spring photos. Love..love..love!

becky up the hill said...

What she said, Lili. Its true. Take care Miss Kate.

Daryl said...

what the dickens ... those 3 are perfect for my Three on Thursday .. I wish I'd taken the shot... xo

Country Girl said...

Thank you all so much ~

Caroline said...

That Dickens quote is right on! I hope you were able to enjoy a nice quite weekend. And I am glad to hear that hubby is making dinner again! Beautiful photos...I can't get over the variety of birds you get!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I dream of the day that I'll take fabulous photos of the birds in your backyard, too.

Annie said...

Love all the photos Kate...so lovely to see that Spring is there!
And so pleased to hear that hubby is back cooking dinner. Just needed some time, that's all!

The JR said...

I'm glad he's felt like cooking for you.

Great pics.

Mary said...

I love the "small altercation" -- how cute is that?! Hope your week is wonderful! xoxo

mrs mediocrity said...

Your news about your husband, and then the rest of this post, made me smile.
xoxo