Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sometimes a little voice can say the biggest thing

Every evening after dinner, I sit down with my laptop in the living room. My husband watches the news and I usually pretend to do the same. Oh, I can hear it and I can see it, but sometimes I just want to ignore it. So I open my laptop and begin fiddling around with photos I’ve taken, or I check my mail, or I visit a blog or two. I fiddle around with my photos using Photoshop, a program I taught myself to use.


I’m not a genius by any stretch of the imagination. And I’m not going to lie and say it was easy learning this program. I used online tutorials, and bought a Scott Kelby book for CS2 (the first PS program I had). I can get around in Photoshop, but only peripherally which is good enough for me. I rely heavily on actions I’ve gathered, and textures I use from my photo files to enhance my photographs. An action is a recording of a sequence of editing commands, and a texture is a picture that can be layered on top of the photo that I’m working on.


Here’s an example of what a texture looks like:

Sarah Gardner Textures


I am into Sarah Gardner textures lately, and she offers a ‘try me’ package for free.




DSC_3486 copy 2

This is my favorite photo of the past week.


Last fall, I brought my geraniums in and cut them back to winter-over in the house. And this weekend, I noticed that a couple of them have blooms.


Sweet ~


The rounded edges are a free action I downloaded – probably from The CoffeeShop Blog.




DSC_3474 copy 2

I also repotted my spider plants last fall, taking the babies and beginning a pot for them. They’re doing fine, I see.


In the photo above, I used a free brush from the Kim Klassen Cafe. A brush is sort of like a stamp. (My watermark is a brush I created myself). Kim has a tutorial on her site on how to make a watermark, if you are interested.


Watermark tutorial – Kim Klassen




DSC_3475 copy 2

Moving along . . .



DSC_3488 copy 2

It was extremely busy at school today. And I’m sad to say that I haven’t walked in days. This is not like me, and I can’t stand being lazy.


Ok, let me rephrase that. I love being lazy sometimes. But only sometimes. And if anyone who was new to the blogging world asked me what my best piece of advice to them would be, I’d have to say it was to exercise.


‘Nuff said.


It's just a little voice
and if you're listening
Sometimes a little voice
Can say the biggest thing
It's just my little voice I've been missing
~ Sara Bareilles



.

(I love her voice.)


: : :


Thanks for stopping by today, my friends . . .

123 Signature[5]

IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO ENTER MY GIVEAWAY
ENTER TO WIN AN ARCHIVAL QUALITY PRINT

24 comments:

Cloudia said...

"exercise" - IS great blogging advice! Gotta stand up and walk around . . .



nice shots as always


Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

>< } } ( ° >

Low Tide High Style said...

I love Sara's voice and that first photo too...beautiful!

Kat :)

Unknown said...

beautiful music....lovely images....good advice...and you wonder why we keep coming back?.....smiles

Deb said...

I haven't tried do all the layers and such....I have cropped...and gone to black and white and such...but i already spend too much time on the computer as it is...

JaneK said...

love that first shot.... love it, I say!

thanks for explaining those terms; I'll never need them but it is nice to understand basics since I follow a few photography blogs :)

thanks for sharing the Sara Bareilles clip; been meaning to hear since she was "recommended" on my amazon. and completely unrelated... have you seen the movie "Little Voice"? It is quirky and kind of fun (and won't leave you too scared to turn off the lights when you go to bed!)

Hilary said...

Walking keeps me sane, I swear.......it has especially done so since this headache started.
That first picture is totally awesome......really.

mrs mediocrity said...

i have to say, i agree....

love your geranium shot, you do such a great job with your texture work...photoshop is a monster that can be so intimidating, good for you for learning it on your own!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Exquisite photos. The last one is my favorite.

You are so right, excercise is essential and does not have to be complicated. It just means moving.

Reena said...

You always can do beautiful things with PS and textures. Taking a simple image and turning into pure loveliness! I'm still working on a watermark ... and have been using various ones from different programs. I'll pop over to Kim's and see what she has.
Ah yes, exercise ... must.do.it.

Caroline said...

I love Sara...oh yes her voice is amazing. And I love being lazy...but not for too long. And I love your photos today. Funny, I just went on Kim's site to re-learn how to make a photoshop brush. So easy...she does have great tutorials! Hope things calm down so you can get back walking.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I keep intending to teach myself to use photoshop too Kate but the trouble is finding the time.

Anonymous said...

beautiful shots, as always. I am still too lazy to learn to apply textures. That's what it is.. laziness. I have enough tutorials to do it. Your applications are lovely.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Um... that Anon. is me. Weird!

Kerri Farley said...

She's got quite a voice! LOVED it!!
Your images are lovely ..... that last one - is it a Lily of some sort? It is GORGEOUS!!

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet post. I have always liked Sara Bareilles and had not heard this song so I am enjoying the new music experience. Your photos look so spring like! I like them. :-))

beth said...

i haven't walked since we got home on friday and my body is not happy....for some reason, though, my heart just isn't in it right now.

i love sara bareilles...and now i'm off to watch this video.

ps...self taught is a good thing !!
xoxo

Daryl said...

My attitude is if I cant figure it out w/o a tutorial then its not well constructed ... personally I loathe PS and PSE ... feh .. but I always love what you can get it to do

The JR said...

I really want to learn how to use textures. Haven't had the time to learn.

Too much on the ol plate right now.

it's me said...

Nice photos--enjoy following your photo progress--I don't think I have the patience and attention span to get to that level--

Laura~peach~ said...

love the pics (didnot enter because i have some beautiful pics from youand figure someone new needs to win ) someday i will learn tricks too until then its SOOC for me :)

Lili said...

Yes, walking is so important, but like you, there are times when we don't get to it either and I could kick myself when that happens. I love that you are self taught, it makes it all the sweeter knowing how you are able to convey so much beauty through your imagery and sense of style. xoxo ~Lili

abb said...

Love the geranium photo - your skill is increasing at a very rapid rate!
I like Sarah as well - a lot of good singing there!

Mary said...

Oh, that geranium -- be still my heart! Beyond beautiful, truly! xoxo

Dawson Cattle Company said...

lovely photos... they are breathtaking. thank you for sharing the sites. i will definatley be checking them out. take care.