Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I love reading a good book

I am reading the most wonderful book. I’m sure most of you have either heard of it or have already read it. I’ve had it in my cart at Amazon since mid-summer and when I bought the new camera lens last week, the book came along as well.

It’s The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and it came as a surprise to me that it’s compromised entirely of letters back and forth to each of the characters in the book. It takes place after WWII and features Guernsey Island in the English Channel, which was under German Occupation. I’m only about a third of the way through and I already don’t want it to end.

I started the book this weekend and Sunday was a sterling day here in Maryland. In the afternoon, my husband and I enjoyed sitting outside in the perfect weather. I brought out a glass of a shiraz and some pretzel sticks with mustard and settled down for a nice read.

DSC_0833 copy 2

I processed these photos with some new actions I just purchased from Shana Rae at Florabella. Yes, actions! I love Florabella textures and today I purchased the Vintage action set as an early birthday present to myself (as was the camera lens). If you click on the link, it’s a couple of posts down. The photography is incredible and the before and after shots are a must see.

The photo above was processed using the Sweet Vintage action. I also used a texture on it but am such an airhead that I can’t remember which one.

DSC_0826 copy 2

This photo was processed using the Retro Vintage action with Allure (warm) texture.

DSC_0820 copy 2

I love the name of the action I used on this one. It’s called RETRO Lollipop. I also used a slight burnt edge on the overall photo. The sky in the original one was a rather glaring shade of blue and I liked this one much better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’d like to answer a couple of questions from the comment section yesterday.

A little red around here today, but mostly grey. Hey, don’t you have red hair? My youngest sister, Ginny, is the one with the red hair in our family. Mine is brown, but it does have red highlights.

How many years have you been seriously taking pictures? I got my first real camera when I was 21 years old. It was an old Nikon. I’ve never been serious about taking pictures. If I were, I could have probably been much better than I am. It’s always been a bit of a lark to me. I enjoy photography, but there’s so much I don’t know.

Can I bend your ear for some feedback on a project at my place? Sure Bush Babe. I headed right over because I love visiting Australia when I come to your blog. And your calendar is going to be awesome. I was crushing on it as soon as I saw it. (And am jealous).

I don't have a clue how to use Photoshop. But it's on my to do list for the new year. All of you gals who use it drive me crazy with all the cool effects you're able to do. Listen to me. If I can do it, you can. I bought a book by Scott Kelby. And I googled tutorials and practiced constantly until my husband was so jealous of Photoshop that I thought he’d divorce me. It would have been fine, too, because I would have still had Photoshop. So, ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Until tomorrow, my friends. Thanks for your continued friendship.

27 comments:

A Scattering said...

Kate, I read it this summer and it is a lovely book - you will hate to leave the characters behind when you finish it.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I'm just starting that book tonight; it's one of our bookclub picks, and I hear it's great!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

One of several books on my Christmas wish list.
Books and chocolate. Yum.

tainterturtles said...

I love your style of reading....wine and pretzels! And I thought I was the only one that loved pretzels, wine and books. Happy reading.

I'm currently reading Joyce Meyer's second novel (she's now writing fiction), called "Any Minute." It's very good.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

For us slow learners you should post a before and after picture with those texture thingies so we can see the effect/difference.

Or just pass the pretzels, a glass of shiraz and a retro lollipop because whatever I learn in the seminar will not be processed properly.

Beautiful pictures, though.

Bren Haas said...

I am a photo person... I ma loving your images. Those honey-wheat pretzels look super yummy!!!

Happy Autumn and thank you for sharing your world.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Just to clarify - when I say before and after I mean before applying any textures and then the after shots.

Maybe hold off on passing that retro lollipop. My brain needs a nap.

Another Sister said...

I have not read this. Perhaps I could borrow it?

Leenie said...

Read Guernsey Potato Peel TWICE and loved it.

Jan said...

I love that book. I can't count how many I've bought for people. Annie was kind enough to autograph some for my daughters; and she reads my blog! I loved having lunch with her and learning the story of Aunt Mary Anne.

Sugar Creek Beads said...

I'd love to see a few of your before and after pics, it is always interesting to see how the different layers change the photo. Over at PW's Ree has several posts in her photography section showing each step and I think you are as talented as she is when it comes to great shots. Jeanne

Chocolate Cat said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I loved 'Water for elephants' when you recommended that so will be sure to seek this one out!

BB said...

Oh gosh... you didn't have to do that Kate!!! Thanks so much for the link - and your feedback. Means a lot to me...

Love your work!!!
:-)
BB

Flea said...

You crack me up. :)

Mental P Mama said...

I knew I should have stopped by as I was driving up the highway! Always a beautiful spot there! And tasty, too;)

Daryl said...

Wonderful book isnt it? And its going to be a movie tho how I cant imagine ...

And I highly recommend the movie UP... but make sure you have a HUGE box of Kleenex on hand .. I dont understand how this was marketed as a kid movie.

I am taking a seminar in Aperture, an Apple software program that looks to be a lot less confusing to dunderheads like me than PS Elements or PS ..

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Sooo jealous! That you have time to read! I reliving the 6th grade again!
<><

JC said...

I've asked for Photoshop for my Holiday gift. I have no idea if I'll be able to figure it out but I'll have fun trying...

Love the barn photo ...

Diane said...

It took me years to stop being terrified of Photoshop. CS3 version (which I swear is friendlier than previous versions), Pioneer Woman and Scott Kelby have helped a lot. I'm still rock dumb with it, but capable of producing the occasional nice edit!
Your pics are lovely as always~

The Weaver of Grass said...

Kate you are certainly getting to grips with those fancy photo things - I dare not try. I have read the book you mention and I agree it is fantastic stuff - you don't want it to finish.

Kay on South coast of Or said...

Kate: I also have read that book.
It was not my favorite but okay.
I guess I got lost in it and didn't follow very well, but I did like it enough.
Kay

June said...

I loved the book, and I love your gorgeous photos! There's nothing like a day on the porch with a great book...and a nice shiraz!

Terra said...

I bought a copy of that book last week, and am eager to read it, and glad you are happy with it.
Your afternoon with the glass of wine, pretzels and mustard sounds idyllic.

Sharon said...

You make your life look like a magazine spread. One I would happily join.

I am going to Scott Kelby's Photoshop for Digital Photographers workshop on Monday. (I had signed up for Lightroom 2 but it was switched.) I'll let you know how it goes. His books are wonderful and if you are serious about wanting to learn, check out http://www.kelbytraining.com/

Scriptor Senex said...

I've just fonished reading GL&PPPS. One of my top books of the year / century.
Just found your blog and will be back!

The JR said...

Great photos. Love them.

Unknown said...

I'm almost halfway through the book right now and I don't want it to end either. In fact, I started looking at accomodations on the island. I'd like to go there. : )

Be well ~Andrea~