Monday, November 9, 2009

Shades of red

I often use Photoshop and fooling around with my pictures as a way to escape the real world. I enjoy taking a simple photograph and fooling with it, maybe even adding some textures, until I like the way it looks. And for awhile, I can ignore things that bother me.

And more things seem to bother me on a Monday than any other day of the week.

It’s a fact.

So tonight, I found myself sitting around after a nice dinner cooked by my husband (mini penne pasta, with a vegetable marinara sauce) and fooling around with pictures. After a little while, I noticed that every one I’d chosen had red in it.

I began to sense a theme.

DSC_0800 copy

Our car getting a bath on Sunday morning as I sat and watched while sipping my coffee at the garage door. I’d just gotten up and my husband had been awake for hours.

DSC_0864 copy 2

I found this leaf today on my walk. Every single other leaf was brown, and our property has millions of leaves on it, so this one really stood out. By the time I got home however, it was too dark to shoot a photo. So I brought it inside, put it on the table and took it under my Ott-Lite.

I love the natural light of this lamp.

DSC_0875 copy 2

My husband found this little surprise in the garden today. It’s been really cold at night during the past week or so and we’ve already had a hard frost. But this little pepper survived.

DSC_0218 copy 2

The mums on the front porch. There isn’t much to say here. They’re mums. They’re red. And, oh look! They’re on the front porch.

Please contain your excitement. And refrain from jumping down and peeing your pants, as someone we know did the other night. But we shan’t speak of it again.

I’ll close in saying that although I don’t have enough time in the day to visit each and every one of you who follow or comment on this blog, I appreciate all of you. Thanks for your support and your friendship. The blogosphere is a better place for having all of you in it.

Oh, and congratulations to Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, whose cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, is #1 on the Best Seller List of the NY Times. I’ve been reading her blog for a long time now and enjoy her candor, wit, the love she has for her family, and her beautiful photography. And her cookbook looks fantastic.

Until tomorrow, my friends.

27 comments:

abb said...

Red is the color of the day! When you're up here visiting me, I have a red duvet...just so you'll feel like you're home. (Thinking Feb.!)

Hilary said...

Great shots.. love the leaf best. It's true how they stand out in a field of brown.

Michelle said...

I just read the status of Ree's cookbook, too; WOO HOO! A little red around here today, but mostly grey. Don't you have red hair?

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Those pictures are just gorgeous.

We'll pretends there was no incident with the jumping.

And that's amazing about the Pioneer Woman, although well-deserved; very well-deserved.

Deb said...

I love the red mums - have the same ones on my step.

Red is a "make you feel good" color. Looking at your photos does just that :)

Have a good week!

Mental P Mama said...

Enjoying this. With no pee.

Alli said...

I love the red vehicle. It makes me feel like I live in a different time period!

Cloudia said...

You spin mundane things into (red) gold; your choice and witty words make a tasteful setting.

Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Char said...

:) I like your theme tonight too. I also appreciate your friendship, warmth and support.

have a wonderful night

Sue said...

Red is my signature color....I love anything red...my favorite thing is my little red Bug...
I have to make a point of reading the Pioneer Women's blog...she's going to be in Atlanta next month and all the blogging ladies are making a night out of the book signing.....I think I may have to join them....

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I love red! The photos are amazing!
"C" and I stopped in at Wal Mart SuperCenter earlier this evening to get our Pioneer Woman Cookbooks signed by Ree Drummond, but lo and behold to our amazement, there were HUNDREDS of excited women thronging the store! The line went on forever, so although we DID get to see the very lovely Ree and her Marlboro Man (who had quite a few ladies getting his autograph too), we gave up without getting ours signed! Boohoo

Sugar Creek Beads said...

Cool, I love red and, as always, your photos. How many years have you been seriously taking pictures? Jeanne

Dagmar said...

Hi there Kate, love the reds. Happens to me too some times that my day is full with one color as it seems. I'm never wearing red because I'm a redhead myself but love the color on others.

Caroline said...

Ha! So that's why I love manipulating photos so much :) Love all the red!

Anonymous said...

I wish to watch Jeep if not ride.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Your red shots have cheered me up too on a very grey day here. So thanks for that. That Monday morning feeling can be pretty hard to shake off.

maillady said...

love red...

Kerri Farley said...

Lovin' the Red shots! Especially the leaf..my fav :)

BB said...

*Le sigh*
Gorgeous as usual, Kate. Very, very therapeutic!!

Can I bend your ear/eye for a moment for some feedback on a project at my place? I am unable to make a decision on my own... I need you!

http://bushbabe.blogspot.com/2009/11/calendar-girl.html

:-)
BB

The JR said...

Great photos. I love red. I love your Element. Mine is the burgandy color.

Deb said...

Didn't know Ree was #1! Wow! I think I already told you I'm going to see her in December when she comes to Atlanta.
Love the red leaf photo...that's my kinda photo!!!!!

Christine said...

I don't have a clue how to use Photoshop. But it's on my to do list for the new year. All of you gals who use it drive me crazy with all the cool effects you're able to do. :)

Kittie Howard said...

The color red got me! I gavitate to red like a bee to honey. Haven't a clue why. Never saw Red Mums before! Fabulous!

Daryl said...

I am now wanting that ott-lite ... it will make my indoor shots less yellow ... love all the red ... and that pepper, what a brave and hearty little guy .. I am sure he had no idea if he survived the cold, he'd end up cooked!

Anonymous said...

Lovin' all the red no matter what day of the week it is! Yay RED!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I love red. I mean, I really, really love red. Your post was lovely!

Betty said...

Red is one of my favorite colors and you did a great job with it.
Love,Hugs and Good Thoughts.