Monday, August 6, 2012

A stroll through the Thuya Gardens, Maine

Another slide show for you today - this one from the Thuya Gardens in Northeast Harbor, Maine. When I’m heavy on the photographs, it’s much easier incorporating them into a slide show for you. While in Maine a couple of weeks ago, my blogging friend, Lili, and her husband, Henri, picked me up one morning to do a little sightseeing. I had told them that I’d never been to the Thuya Gardens and had asked if they would mind taking me there.

So off we went, planning on having lunch at Jordan Pond House afterward. I found out a lot about the gardens, and the house (Thuya Lodge) that sits on the property. What I hadn’t known was that the gardens were actually started with plantings from the 1956 dismantling of Beatrix Jones Ferrand’s family home, Reef Point Estate, in Bar Harbor. Mrs. Ferrand was a landscape gardener and landscape architect whose designs graced estates, college campuses, public parks, and even the White House.

Charles Savage, a landscape designer, and trustee of Joseph H. Curtis’ Thuya Lodge, designed the Thuya Gardens at the site of an old orchard. Mr. Curtis passed away in 1928 and his 140-acre property was gifted to the citizens of Mt. Desert through a trust he established. The storybook-English style Thuya Gardens is part of the Mount Desert Land & Garden Preserve.






If you’re really interested, the link below leads to a wonderful article from the Down East Dilettante and includes lots of historic significance.

Saving Mrs. Ferrand’s Plants


Hope you enjoyed the photos. It was a perfect day for shooting flowers: overcast, with a hint of rain in the air. I loved it!
123 Signature[5]

Beatrix Farrand was one of the founding eleven members, and the only woman, of the American Society of Landscape Architects. Farrand is one of the most accomplished persons, and women, recognized in both the first decades of the landscape architecture profession and the centuries of landscape garden design arts and accomplishments.  ~Wikipedia

24 comments:

Hilary said...

You keep me longing for Maine.
L says it's your fault that I do.
:)

Anonymous said...

I can see why you didn't want to miss seeing this garden. So lovely and isn't it wonderful for all of we non gardening people that there are people who have created all this beauty for us to now enjoy? Thanks for sharing this slideshow with us!

Gail said...

I have always wanted to visit this state. You have tempted me with your photos.

Low Tide High Style said...

Captured beautifully through your lens!

Kat

Cloudia said...

So northern I love New England!


Wishing You a Sweet Week
with Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>

> < } } ( ° >

Sheila said...

Beautiful images, thanks for sharing!

Lili said...

We may have never discovered how beautiful this place was in it's peak season, had it not been for you Kate. As you know we went back there again yesterday on our anniversary! xo ~Lili

JaneK said...

Oh goodness.... Gorgeous shots of gorgeous gardens.... Thanks for taking the time to share so many pics..... They are wonderful

Kerri Farley said...

They absolutely take my breath away! I think I could spend days and days (if not weeks) there among those flowers and the beautiful carvings!
WOWZA!

beth said...

gorgeous !
i loved that moss covered bench and that butterfly house {or what was it} on the crooked trunk....

and an overcast day? what's that? we need one or six of those stat as we've all overdosed on sun !

Mental P Mama said...

So lush!!! Love the green.

Daryl said...

Oh.. Gail is copycatting you, LOL, she posted pix on Instragram of her lunch at Jordon Pond House .. now I am beginning to feel as if I'm in Maine too!

The JR said...

I wish Maine wasn't so far away......

GailO said...

We have actually planned to visit Thuya gardens today if all goes well...now if only I could take photos like you! These would make a beautiful book:)

Love the slide show presentations and will have to play with them when I get a chance...a great way to share!
xoxo from Maine:)

Dianne said...

beautiful gardens
love the gazebo and the peaceful paths
and so many purple flowers!! my favorites

altar ego said...

Beautiful photos, as usual, and what an exquisite garden! Thanks for taking us along.

sharon said...

Absolutely Beautiful! This is one of the reasons I've always wanted to go to Maine!

Debra said...

Lovely pics. My favorite is the pink petunias - the color is vibrant and the image crisp and clear. Beautiful!

spindrift,maine said...

Misty, moisty, mossy Maine morning! You've captured Thuya beautifully, Kate. Thank you. ;o)

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a gorgeous place full of lush beauty and vibrant colours. So peaceful and it looks like you were there alone, too, which is even better.

Donna said...

I went through the slideshow twice. Beautiful images, Kate! I'm sold on wanting to visit Maine now!

Em Parkinson said...

Fascinating stuff - thanks Kate. It's a pleasure to read your blog and no wonder you have so many followers!

Another Sister said...

w-w-WOWZA.

Georgianna said...

I went through your photos three times. I would so love to see this garden and I'm really happy you shared your beautiful photos. Especially as the light was perfect that day, soft and diffused. The plants look magnificent. I even saw some Thalictrum which I love so much. A real fairy plant. :)