Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sometimes I just prefer black & white

It’s been a relaxing weekend here at the manor house on the hill, and it’s been a beautiful one, as well. Today the weather was so nice that we turned off the air conditioning and I was able to sit outside in the shade among the birds and the little garden I’ve got under the dogwood tree and be comfortable.

It’s been a couple of months since I’ve been able to sit outside here.

I took some photographs and got into sort of a black & white mood with them all.



DSC_2240 copy 2

I mean, this was ok (I guess) in color, but it wasn’t until I saw it in black & white that I realized how much I liked it. I even put it up on my etsy site for sale.



DSC_2242 copy 2

Both photos processed using Kevin Kubota’s BW via Lab with Color action.



DSC_2027 copy 2

I cut some of the smaller zinnias and put them into a little vase.



DSC_2022 copy 2

The vase is about 3” high and was formerly an Agraria diffuser.



DSC_2022 b&w copy 2

Then I processed one of the shots using the Cappuccino action from Red Leaf Studios.

I like it fine.



DSC_2058 b&w copy 2

The deer that visit here daily.

That’s the spike buck from back in early July. He’s with the same doe.

I think.




DSC_2165 copy 2

Our kitty, Miss Blackie.



DSC_2156 copy 2

And what she was looking at when I took her portrait.




DSC_2255 copy 2

And, of course, himself.


: : :


Watching the wrap-up of the 30th Olympic Games before the Closing Ceremony begins. It’s been wonderful these past two weeks seeing all these great athletes, hasn’t it? Hometown boy, Michael Phelps, did not disappoint. And our women were phenomenal!

So many uplifting stories from these games.


: : :


Hope your weekend was a good one.

Thanks for stopping by and spending some time with me here ~

(It’s always nice having you visit).

123 Signature[5]

ps – you'll be proud of me: I even got some vacuuming done!

29 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Lovely series of images. I love the hummer and the beautiful flowers. And being a dog lover, it is one of my favorites. Great shots.

Reddirt Woman said...

Himself is always a favorite of mine and the hummer photos... great.

Sabrina Steyling said...

Beautiful photos! I have 35 settings on my little point-and-shoot camera, and always ALWAYS forget about the black-and-white setting! I will have to consciously try to use it more often.

Hilary said...

Wow, do those deer really walk right into your back yard??
how very cool.

Sheila said...

Great images, love the B&W's! Thanks for sharing them with us. Have a great week.

beth said...

holy crap....these black and whites are fantastic !!

the hummingbird stole my heart :)
xo

Country Gal said...

Your photos are awesome ! Papa has got me into Light room now so I am having fun learning that and all it can do ! It is nice when you can turn the Ac off and have the windows open cause the air is cooler , makes it nice for photography to hehe ! I am now waiting for fall for all the wonderful colors ! Have a great day !

Carolynn Anctil said...

These are lovely. I watched a hummingbird feast on the flowers outside our window for the longest time the other day. It felt like the most marvelous gift. Alas, the windows are too dirty to warrant getting out the camera. I love Miss Blackie, too.

JaneK said...

Holy crap! I didn't know that you could see through a humming bird's wings until I saw these amazing photos! Damn you're good :)

Em Parkinson said...

What stunning photos. It's such a pleasure to see them. I used to work for Getty Images as a researcher at the Hulton Archive in London and, at the time, I found it difficult to appreciate anything that WASN'T black and white. Now I see so little of it, it's really nice to look at your work without colour.

We're off to London on Thursday and will be looking at the Olympic Park. I'm already missing it.

Glad you got the vacuuming done too by the way!

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photographs, fantastic face of the nature. I am greeting

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Beautiful shots- all! And Himself is quite a handsome fella!

BB said...

BREATH-TAKE-ING!
Wow. SUCH an awesome eye. And I agree. Sometimes colour just distracts you from the essence of the scene.

BB

Low Tide High Style said...

Wow, that first shot is just beautiful! And I agree it's really lovely in B&W! Sometimes black and white helps you to just focus on the subject matter, and that's why I love it too.

Kat

Mental P Mama said...

Gorgeous. Like you...

Jill of All Trades said...

What fun. I like B&W sometimes too.

Kerri Farley said...

Your Hummers are AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...love the B&Ws and that cappucino...REALLY love that one!

Daryl said...

nicely done ..

Devon said...

What wonderful shots... I love the first zinnia in full beautiful color.
I have enjoyed the olympics also... I couldn't tear myself away from the mens volleyball final... what a huge upset!
I just wanted to let you know that my 'George' photo is so happy in my home. A dear friend's husband almost died in a traffic accident last summer.. coma for months.. brain injury. He used to do wood working... he has been miraculously recovering.. he made the most incredible frame for 'George'.. so it is extra special now. Just wanted to let you know himself is spreading joy!

Country Girl said...

Thanks, everyone. And Devon, I'm glad your friend's husband is recovering so nicely. Wow~

~ C.G.

Cloudia said...

masterful shots, esp of Blackie and Himself



Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>

> < } } ( ° >

> < } } (°>

><}}(°>

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

The hummingbird wing!!!!!... awesome.

Candis said...

Gorgeous! Love the hummingbird. Yes, bw can make a photo sing. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow - such beautiful shots!

Gail said...

I do believe black and white has won the show.

Great job.

Caroline said...

Amazing amazing shots!!! Wow...the 2nd black and white humming bird...gorgeous!

mrs mediocrity said...

Oh my, those hummingbird shots are gorgeous! I love them all, actually... I didn't plant any zinnias this year, and now I miss them. Glad it is cooler for you, same here, it's been great sleeping weather.

Lili said...

You are seriously talented Kate. These shots are so inspiring, they are such beautiful works of art! xo ~Lili