Saturday, August 4, 2012

A walk at low tide to Bar Island

When I started working on this post yesterday, I realized that I had a whopping 20 photos to go with it. That’s way too many to put into a post, so I decided to incorporate them into a slide show using Flickr.

I hope you’re not getting sick of posts about my trip to Mt. Desert Island, Maine but the scenery is just so different and beautiful and it’s difficult not to share them with you. And besides, this is my blog and I can do what I want, right?

I’d always wanted to go out to Bar Island at low tide, just to see what I could see. And this year, we did it. Before you go, you need to be aware of the tide schedule, have the proper footwear, take some water and plan on leaving about an hour and half to walk out, hike to the view, and then come back before the flow tide begins. You could also leave some time for exploring the sand at low tide (I found a starfish).

If I remember correctly, on Wed., July 25, low tide was scheduled for 9:47. We arrived at about 8:00 and were back to our car by 9:15, beating the crowds (which was our goal). In the last photo, you can see that a lot of people are beginning their walk.

 

DSC_0557 copy 2

The photo above was taken from Cadillac Mountain. In the distance, you can see the strip of sand that we’ll be taking to get to Bar Island. For the slide show, I took a photo of the water at high tide, then the water beginning to recede. Then we drove down the road and found the ruins, returning for the walk to Bar Island at ebb tide.

 

Hope you all have a wonderful week ~

I’m just trying to stay cool here.

123 Signature[5]

18 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Stunning!!! LOVE the slideshow....I'm going to have to figure out how to do that.

Merisi in Vienna said...

Fantastic endeavor, congratulations on accomplishing a dream!

A wonderful Sunday to you,
Merisi

altar ego said...

I really appreciate the slide show. Felt a bit like we were walking with you (and George!). I do miss New England, and it's been too long since I've been to Maine and Bah Hahbuh, so I appreciate vacationing vicariously through you. Don't stop posting! Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I never tire of seeing the world through your camera lens. That's a fabulous photo journal of your vacation.

beth said...

how cool.....and what fun....especially knowing that you have to plan it just right !!

those rock sculptures are fantastic !!

did you make one yourself to leave behind ??

Donna S. said...

Oh, I love your vacation posts!! It may end up the only way I get to Maine!!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful slide show! So glad you shared all your photos!

Marcie said...

Having just recently spent a week up in Maine - in Bar Harbor - I did the walk across to Bar Island. So nice to see someone else who loved the place like I did. Love your imagery!!!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Fantastic. Almost as fantastic as a 13-month-old baby.

Gayle said...

Gosh, what a cool idea to do a slide show. I just posted pics of a lavender farm and had a dickens of a time picking out the best ones.

Maria_NJ said...

Hi Kate, Bar Harbor is on our bucket list...the pictures where beautiful thank you for sharing...m

troutbirder said...

Wonderful slide show. We visited Acadia N.P. show years ago and vowed to go back sometime other that tourist season...:)

Daryl said...

Gail is on her way there now .. driving the renovated Airstream, she's posting pix on Instagram

those islands look like beached whales!

The JR said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful cubed!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

soooo beautiful.. - peaceful.. rustic raw clean soulsoothing natural kind of beautiful.

Cubed. :-)

Lili said...

Those cairns you shot on the way back are so cool. I for one never get tired of your MDI pics! xo ~Lili

GailO said...

No internet at our house so I am sitting in the Maine Grind internet cafe as I type this! Do you really think I would get tired of your MDI pics? We have never hiked on Bar Island either and it looks like yet another one we could do with a 7 and a 5 yr old...not to mention the 5month old in a backpack:) Will suggest it to our hike organizer:)