Saturday, September 25, 2010

I wish I was the moon

Saturday mid-day and I’m taking a small cleaning break. I’ve got laundry on the line, the sun is shining, and it’s a fairly warm day here in Maryland. I’m looking forward to sitting under the dogwood tree in the breeze later this afternoon when all my chores are done.

Last night I couldn’t slow down my thoughts. Maybe it was the moon that was keeping me awake. It was such a beautiful moon. Yesterday, it went up to 95 degrees here and the air was thick with humidity. But early in the evening, things began to slowly change. I watched an old movie that had arrived from my friends at Netflix. I hadn’t seen Shirley Valentine in years and it was a pleasant jaunt to the Greek Isles for me.

I drank a beer under the moonlight and watched the soft breezes rustle the leaves in the trees while I imagined what I would do with this place if I had the money to buy it as George brought me sticks to throw so he could fetch them. And then finally, at 2:30 I went up to bed.

DSC_0824 copy 2My husband shot this photo the night before and it’s not bad for having done it without a tripod. I added a layer mask which I got here.

Well, it’s back to work for me. This afternoon, when it’s all done, I’ll go out to my favorite shop and pick up a few things. Tomorrow we’re having company and it’s been a long time since I’ve seen these particular friends.

Oh. I wrote quite a story about my dad and the recorder incident. Reading it back, it sounded way too crazy. So I guess it needs some work.

Hope you’re enjoying your Saturday.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

23 comments:

Country Girl said...

Chimney falls and lovers blaze
Thought that I was young
Now I've freezing hands and bloodless veins
As numb as I've become

I'm so tired
I wish I was the moon tonight

Last night I dreamt I had forgotten my name
'Cause I had sold my soul but awoke just the same
I'm so lonely
I wish I was the moon tonight

God blessed me, I'm a free man
With no place free to go
I'm paralyzed and collared-tight
No pills for what I fear

This is crazy
I wish I was the moon tonight.

~Neko Case - I Wish I Was the Moon

Mental P Mama said...

Just beautiful. Going to lunch at Partner's now with Annie and Jules. Wish you were here....

deborah said...

A lovely day you are having! That moon photo is awesome. I was watching it last night come out from behind the clouds, magnificent!

Caroline said...

Love the moon shot and that gorgeous layer mask. Have a wonderful weekend Kate!

Gail said...

What an amazing poem!

I guess the moon affects us all, I was up bright and early...not cleaning.

Enjoy your company!

ELK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ELK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ELK said...

lets see if 3rd time is a charm..
i enjoyed my visit here today..the moon ..the memories ..and yesterdays sun and long shadows..a very special place here Kate..supermans daughter;0

A New England Life said...

You stayed up until 2:30? Oh my, I'd be a mess the next day. As it is I already took a nap today. I seem to have a headache that I just can't shake no matter how much Ibuprofen I take.

Yes, plenty to do this warm, muggy Saturday afternoon and I'm certainly not accomplishing it on the computer! LOL!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I love that poem.

I was up too... think it was the moon. And perhaps the loneliness. In a house full of people, yet.

I found a truck yesterday that is a photographers dream! Wish I had better camera skille... it's my header and post today if you have time to check it out. You would have had a blast with your camera I think.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem....(is it a song?)....The moon was splendid last night....makes me smile to think of all the people I love looking at that same full face...take care of you...smiles.

JacksDad said...

What a nice peaceful post today!!

Have you watched Educating Rita?

Country Girl said...

I've not seen Educating Rita. I'll check it out. Thanks.

To Ellen and everyone who asked: It's a song. You can listen to it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STvUooK7hfs

~ C.G.

Mary said...

Hopefully you are done with your cleaning and enjoying the fruits of your labor... have a wonderful weekend!

Daryl said...

Dammmit we had cloud cover .. so no moon at all what a night even ligtening bugs are afraid to light there's no moon at all .. I have cleaned/disinfected and dipped Jack .. Rose is reprived from dips and further meds, seems she is now anemic maybe due to sulpher in dips or just from the 6 weeks of treatment/9 weeks she's had ringworm. I think my vet should name his new second floor for us.......

BB said...

I didn't know this poem but now have Frank Sinatra's FLY ME TO THE MOON in my head...

Hope you are feeling more calm today - your layer mask action is gorgeous. You do things I would never think of - clever possum!

I never let a little crazy get in the way of me pressing 'publish' on my blog posts... maybe you've noticed! Heh.
:-)
BB

myletterstoemily said...

it IS hard to sleep when the moon
is looking that beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read the story about your Dad.

Tammie said...

Wish I really understood what the song was ..is saying. I've been watching the moon the past several days and it really has been amazing. Lonely, but amazing.

Lili said...

What a great capture of the moon. I still haven't been able to figure out how to do that, even with a tripod. ~Lili

D. Jean Quarles said...

Lovely photo. Good luck with the story.

Char said...

one of my favorite things to do at times - sit alone and stare at the moon. i miss having a place to do that.

it was very bright friday night.

The JR said...

At least you had some great company in the moon light!