Friday, September 10, 2010

Visitors to the garden

This weather is making me glad. It’s actually cool enough this evening to wear a light sweater. It goes without saying that after the summer we’ve had, this is bliss.

However, I’ve just said it. So it didn’t go without saying, after all.

Speaking of sayings, I’ve added some quotes to the photos I’ve posted below. I found them at the Quote Garden. And I found the insects in the garden over the weekend.

Warning: There may be a bug or two below, so if you’re squeamish I’m just warning you. There are no spiders or snakes, so don’t get your panties in a bunch.

DSC_1007 copy 2

With a butterfly kiss and a ladybug hug, sleep tight little one like a bug in a rug. ~Author Unknown

DSC_0996 copy 2

Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers. ~Robert Ingersoll

DSC_0978 copy 2

Nothing seems to please a fly so much as to be taken for a currant; and if it can be baked in a cake and palmed off on the unwary, it dies happy. ~Mark Twain

DSC_0859 copy 2

We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics. ~Bill Vaughan

DSC_0897 copy 2

And what's a buterfly? At best, He's but a ceterpillar, drest. ~John Grey

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. ~Betty Reese

DSC_0988 copy 2

Aerodynamically the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it, so it goes on flying anyway. ~Mary Kay Ash

If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive. ~American Quaker Saying

DSC_0879 copy 2

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar. ~Bradley Millar

Some primal termite knocked on wood; and tasted it, and found it good. That is why your Cousin May fell through the parlor floor today. ~Ogden Nash

Have a wonderful Friday, my friends. Hope you enjoyed the critters.

Respectfully submitted,

29 comments:

Ellen said...

Very nice. Thanks for not including that dreaded stink bug!

Chrissykat said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the quotes but alas, I cannot say the same for the "critters" as you so kindly called them! Okay, I almost enjoyed them. ;)

Jo said...

Love, love, love Ogden Nash.

I never kill little critters. When you think of the miracle they are alive, and how beautiful most of them are, it's impossible to kill them.

Beautiful photos. :-)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love them all ... love the quotes too!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Well this all makes me feel better, because I can't bring myself to destroy a spider's egg sack dangling from my sliding glass door even though the spider who left it came straight from a planet called Hades.

Now I know it's because I want to live and thrive. And...I do! (Which is also why I've not touched Hades' spawn sack.)

These are ding dang diddly beautiful photos, as always. Enjoy the gorgeous weather and make sure you get out there and build a bonfire this weekend.

abb said...

I luv bugs - and you captured them beautifully!

Cloudia said...

Delightful
with substance!


Warm Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

JacksDad said...

I love Ogden Nash. I wish there were more of him around today :)

wayne15575 said...

This must have been the last of your use of the
105mm lens. You did a fantastic job of using it too Kate. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog each day... both of them. Pat George for me.

Jayne said...

What wonderful images and quotes Kate! Thanks for starting my day with a smile. Have a beautiful Friday.

Unknown said...

Luminous photos, fab quotes! Love the phrase 'panties in a bunch', in England we say, 'knickers in a twist'!x

Gail said...

The quotes are wonderfuf.

There is a sadness that comes with the end of this season despite the pleasure of it.

Deb said...

love the ladybug.....

Deb.....ladybugfromTexas

Nurse Nancy said...

These are wonderful!

Sheila said...

Loved the bugs & quotes, your lens is working beautiful.

mrs mediocrity said...

Loved them all, great photos. The fly quote made me laugh and say eeeewwww at the same time....

Daryl said...

Sweet ... even Jiminy!

altar ego said...

Isn't the quote garden fun? You found some great ones to accompany your pictures.

And just so you know--your work with the macro lens (along with my friend Jayne at Journey though Grace) is part of the inspiration that is catalyzing me to kick my Pampered Chef business into high gear. I. must. have. that. lens.

SouthernSass said...

Lovely group of photos and quotes!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, I did enjoy! I love little critters from the garden. Most are beneficial. The ones that aren't, oh well. Beautiful quotes and snapshots.
Brenda

GailO said...

Thanks for the smiles today Kate! Those quotes are precious...and the photos ...Love them!

The Weaver of Grass said...

These quotes really made me smile Kate - a nice start to the weekend.

Scriptor Senex said...

I'd heard of 'snug as a bug in a rug' but not 'With a butterfly kiss and a ladybug hug, sleep tight little one like a bug in a rug'. Great photos as always.

Kerri Farley said...

Ok - you must know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! All of those wonderful critters...... super job!

becky up the hill said...

Love the bugs and oh Mark Twain, he always amazes me. Thanks!

Lili said...

Now how did you just do that? I feel as though I have just bonded with those little creatures. Delightful Kate! ~Lili

Unknown said...

Love all your buggy pictures! You know how I love macro shots!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Ha! I love these quotes!!

The JR said...

We've got our share of those stink bugs.....