Tuesday, September 21, 2010

This and that

I was surprised at a comment I received last week and it was from one of my regular visitors, someone I’d met In Real Life. She said to me, “I didn’t know you had another blog.”

For some crazy reason that I can no longer recall, I thought it would be fun to start another blog. As if I even have time enough for this one. So in July 2008, I began A Picture A Day. It features one photo per day, but lately I’ve been lucky if I have the time to post one photo per week let alone per day. But that’s the place where I usually feature my mosaics.

Mosaic: Autumn hues

I love making mosaics and feature them on the other blog because I feel that the page width suits them so much better. For the one above, I used the Mosaic Maker at Big Huge Labs. I’ve found that, for me anyway, it’s more user friendly if you already have your photos uploaded into Flickr.

Autumn 2010

The one above was made using an action in Photoshop. I downloaded a free template from MCP Actions called Magic Blog-It Board. The action allows you to place your photos in pre-determined sizes.

I share my mosaics every now and then at Little Red House where my friend Mary hosts a weekly meme called Mosaic Monday. It’s open to anyone who has a blog.

DSC_0513 copy 2

Oh, hello there, little bug. ~ :: ~ :: ~ :: ~ :: ~ :: ~

And now I’ll leave you with something that made me chuckle. Maybe you’ve seen these before, but regardless:

These are classified ads, which were actually placed in a U.K. newspaper:

FREE YORKSHIRE TERRIER.
8 years old.
Hateful little bastard.
Bites!

FREE PUPPIES
1/2 Cocker Spaniel, 1/2 sneaky neighbour's dog.


FREE PUPPIES.
Mother, a Kennel Club registered German Shepherd.
Father, Super Dog... able to leap tall fences in a single bound.

COWS, CALVES: NEVER BRED.
Also 1 gay bull for sale.

JOINING NUDIST COLONY!
Must sell washer and dryer £100.


WEDDING DRESS FOR SALE .
Worn once by mistake.
Call Stephanie.

*** And the WINNER is... ***

FOR SALE BY OWNER.
Complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica, 45 volumes.
Excellent condition.....£200 or best offer.
No longer needed; got married last month.
Wife knows f#%#%#g everything

Until tomorrow, my friends . . . thanks for stopping by.

44 comments:

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Yep, I had no idea that you had another blog - it's loaded with gorgeous pictures just like this one. I still think you should start another one just for your food photos/recipes.

Those ads are great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate
I knew you had another blog when you go to your profile it lists your blogs. It is a beautiful way to display your talent and love for your photography.
You are a kindred spirit.
Wishing you a wonderful week.
Kim :)

alphabet soup said...

A good idea mentioning your Picture a Day blog. It's well worth a look - those autumn mosaics are wonderful too. And the ads are a laugh - I will forward this post to a friend next Monday just to kick off her working week with a smile.
Ms Soup

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Kate,
Those ads are hilarious! Off to read them to the hubster...He'll especially love the last one - unless he wrote it!
xoxo
Donna

Hilary said...

Your mosaics are always beautiful and those ads cracked me up. :)

eileeninmd said...

Fun post and your mosaics are beautiful. Love the fall colors. The ads are just too funny. Thanks for sharing, I had a good laugh!

Joe said...

The mosaics are great:). The classified ads are side splitting!! I thought the last one was the best...my wife don't see it that way:). She said the wedding dress one was the best.

Ellen said...

Beautiful mosaics - love those fall colors.

Hilary said...

That is funny stuff.....that last one could have been said by my husband!!!
Ha!

Lili said...

Very nice mosaics, I am so ready for some fall color! And yes, that last ad was priceless! ~Lili

Dawn said...

Oh I would love that mosaic up on my wall right now...to remind me how fall is supposed to be!:)
Love the ads.....last one is true:)))

Low Tide High Style said...

I love visiting your photo blog, and my husband goes there even more than I do!

I also love the mosaics, just perfect for the fall! Thanks for the chuckle with those ads!

Kat :)

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

your photographs are just lovely, and so autumnal today

deborah said...

fabulous mosaics! I just love your photos, you know:)
Am laughing out loud at the ads!

Caroline said...

Looking like fall over here ;) Love the mosaics! And those ads...lol. I love British humor!

Sweetpea said...

Just adore those mosaics, CG...thanks again for sharing the sources of how you template them etc.

BUT MOST OF ALL...
thank you for those HILARIOUS ads! I read them aloud to my husband and we laughed ourselves silly - EXCELLENT!!

GailO said...

I peeked in here just before heading to bed...and now I can say that I'll be going to sleep with a smile on my face:)
xo

Shayne said...

Hi Kate, i found you yesterday and immediately fell in love with your blog. YOur photography is stunning and i'll definately be returning. I have 2 blogs too, one private and the other where I document my photo a day - sometimes it is such a challenge to remember to take the photos, but i'm managing so far. I love your mosaics and am definately going to give them a bash! Thank you for sharing the links with us xx

wayne15575 said...

Thank you Kate for all the help you have just given me on the mosaic. I will be sure to make good use of it.

See you again tomorrow. Wayne

maricel said...

Beautiful mosaics..

BB said...

Of COURSE I knew... it's gorgeous. You are soooooo talented. Must try mosaics one day... whenever God gives me a spare 15 minutes to mess with it.

As for the ads... I snorted. Fun-nee!
:-)
BB

Jayne said...

Beautiful mosaics Kate... I also didn't realize you had another blog! LOL at the ads! Thanks for the morning chuckle. Have a wonderful day.

SouthernSass said...

Beautiful mosaics! And thanks for the chuckle, those ads are hilarious!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

LOL.. love these.

Gail said...

How did I miss your other blog?? Could be, I am so addicted to this one, I never looked for another.

Your mosaics are beautiful!

Sarah said...

Love your mosaics - and your other blog! I've looked at the MCP Blog it Board and thought about getting it, even though I don't have a blog. It just looks like so much fun!

Thanks for the laughs - your blog is a great place to start the day!

mrs mediocrity said...

I only learned that you had another blog in your last post...
Love the ads, thanks for the chuckle!

Mental P Mama said...

Oh, those are wonderful!

Snap said...

Beautiful mosaics. Love those fall colors. I'm going to laugh all day about the encyclopedias......... !!!!!!!

Daryl said...

love those mosaic/collages ... I believe that's my husband selling the books

Corny said...

Saw the cardinal on your other blog!
I picked the seashell and my daughter picked the cardinal! : )

Carolynn Anctil said...

Those clever British. *grin* I'll have to remember those the next time I put an ad in the paper....

The JR said...

he he, those are funny!

Vickie said...

Loved those ads! What a hoot!

Love your fall mosaic, too - beautiful!

Cindy said...

Love the mosaics and the colors are gorgeous. Love the ads too. They're hilarious! Have a great Tuesday.

abb said...

Well I knew about your other blog! Just as pretty as this one! Your mosaics are beautiful, but they always are.

JC said...

Love that last one ...

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Hysterical. And I have always been a fan of your mosaics!

Brenda Pruitt said...

And you capture phenomenal photos, I might add. Those ads are hilarious.
Brenda

Sheila said...

Great photos, great ads. Your blog is a bright spot in my day!

Mary said...

I think we both started our second blogs around the same time... :) Your photos are so beautiful. I think I actually gasped out loud at the gorgeous fall mosaic here! :)
xoxo

Deb said...

great mosiacs....I didn't know you had another blog either..

Anonymous said...

That top mosaic is perfect! Love the way it shouts AUTUMN!

Jill of All Trades said...

First, I love your mosaics! So funny that I had just wrote the post for tomorrow and I titled it This and That, then I opened my reader and saw your title. :)