Sunday, September 19, 2010

It’s just a perfect day

The day started innocently enough.

Actually, it ended the same way. I just wanted to start the story with that line. I was looking forward to this weekend with its promise of beautiful weather and sunny skies and I woke early on Saturday morning, just as the sun was coming into my bedroom window.

I poured a cup of coffee and took my chair out to the place in the yard where the morning sun hits first and I sat and read my book while sipping my cup of deliciousness.

DSC_0678 copy 2

I went back for the camera later. I think my husband is going to pick the lone watermelon today and I wanted to get a photo of it. For some strange reason, none of the others survived.

And it wasn’t because I stepped on any of them.

DSC_0531 copy 2

As I was sitting and reading, a moth that looked just like this landed on my shirt. It stayed for a moment, and then it flew away, probably off to share a stack of pancakes with the butterflies who host parties in the morning glory patch.

DSC_0648 copy 2

I started this book which I won in a contest last week. Thanks Mental P Mama!

I’m still reading Eat, Pray, Love and am nearly finished. It got a little bogged down while we were in India at the Ashram. Not that it wasn’t interesting, especially after Richard came on the scene. I had the book with me last week when we went to see my husband’s oncologist at Johns Hopkins. We were met by a beautiful medical student who promised me that Bali would be the best part of the book and that I ‘needed to keep reading because you will love it’. And she turned out to be very correct.

Because I do love the Bali part.

DSC_0682 copy 2

And then I made pancakes.

DSC_0546 copy 2

And watched my husband fill the bird feeders.

I have always loved his arms.

DSC_0541 copy 2

After some chores, we set our chairs under the dogwood tree and watched the birds as they came to the feeders.

And then I made lunch because we were expecting company.

DSC_0537 copy 2

It was delicious. You can find the recipe here on my other blog.

DSC_0572 copy 2

We sat outside talking for the afternoon. Our friend brought his dog who got along very well with George. And after a while, he said to us, “God, it’s so beautiful here.”

It was so relaxing sitting under the tree and watching the dogs cavort and the birds flittering about. And my husband was happy to have someone to talk about sports with.

DSC_0573 copy 2

I’m not a real sports fan. But my sister is. She’s a Phillies fan in a big way and my husband loves having her here. I used to think it was because she reminded him so much of me (* snort *) but it’s the Phillies thing, man. Plus she’s funny and cool and is a super good cook.

DSC_0661 copy 2

I brought my newest knitting project outside. I’m making a white scarf for someone. Casting on came back to me and I realized I much prefer doing it with one needle than two.

DSC_0564 copy 2

We watched the morning glories begin to fade for the day, and then it was time for our friend to leave.

DSC_0643 copy 2

But he didn’t want to go yet. We could tell.

So my husband and he took a walk around the property, with the dogs following them most of he way, as I took photos of the morning glories folding up.

DSC_0636 copy 2

And I decided that I would make a photo book of these beautiful flowers and give it to someone for Christmas.

It was just such a perfect day. And I’m glad I spent it with you.

Love,

42 comments:

beth said...

it was a perfect day here, too.....there must be something in the air :)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

What a great day, and your recap is very soothing to read.

Of course you know I had to laugh about the watermelon thing. I wondered if your husband might make a remark about how there would be more watermelons if a Certain Someone hadn't stepped all over them.

I didn't know you had another blog, but if it's loaded with recipes I'm going to head on over right now and start perusing. Your photos of your food are just as pretty as the ones of your flowers. Everything you touch is a work of art. (Except, maybe the watermelons.)

Dawn said...

What A Perfect Day for sure!
I loved you r Day story....wish I could have sat under that beautiful tree!
Happy day to you,
dawn

deborah said...

both you and your husband had a perfect day!
It was a dry summer, so its great that one watermelon did make it:)
Love your photos, as always. The morning glory photos are exquisite, and will make a lovely book.
Hope today is just as perfect for you!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

...and I wish 1,000 more perfect days just like that one for you and the man with perfect arms...

:-)

Marilyn said...

I feel silly telling you this, but this post made me cry!!! Especially the part about yur husbands arms being your favourite of him....
I wonder why...anyway, I am so happy you had a perfect day...I wish you many, many, more. :)
lol
M

Marilyn said...

ooppss, ignore the typing mistake!!
please!

Andi said...

Sounds like my kind of day! :) I told a friend to come over and visit your blog and she fell in love with your morning glory pics too. Said it made her want to get up early enough to see hers tomorrow. We'll see if it happened.

msdewberry said...

It sounds like a perfect relaxing day!! I almost felt like I was there enjoying it with you all!
We had a respite from the rain that was predicted and got out for the day to the Illuminaria. Lots of lanterns and fire!! It started to sprinkle late in the evening as the event was ending. The timing was perfect for a great day!

Alli said...

This post really got me for some reason... especially the picture of your husband refilling the bird feeder. I hope you have many more beautiful days together in the warm sun and watching the birds. It sounds so peaceful. Glad you had such a wonderful day and I hope Sunday is just the same!

Unknown said...

Would have been a perfect day here if the rain had stopped. You have a lovely place and garden. Looks so peaceful

Gayle said...

The photos are just WONderful! Love the recipe and esp. love the plates you used to serve.

Oh, Kate, thanks to you I have renewed knitting interest. Please tell me what your pretty yarn is in these photos. I love the tutorials you shared and even put them on FB giving "George's Mom" credit for finding them. =^..^=

Waiting for an update on how the watermelon is. Love that you were blessed with a moth, seems like a fine omen and no doubt good luck. May many more perfect days be yours.

JacksDad said...

You had me at the last line! :)

Hilary said...

I have always been a fool for men's forearms....so I totally get your thoughts on that....and truly, it did look like a beautiful day.
Bravo.
Cheers for beautiful days!

Cindy said...

Great post and it sounds as if it really was a perfect day. Did you get any photos of George and his new pal? If you did can you post any? Have a great Sunday and a wonderful week. Cindy

Chrissykat said...

For someone who is not having a perfect day, I so much enjoyed sharing your perfect day with you.

Gail said...

I shared your site today with Marcy, my sister. She is in awe of your photography...but then so am I.

Ellen said...

What a wonderful day. I'd recap mine, but it was far less interesting - and filled with dead grass from thatching the lawn (by hand no less).

Glad to hear that your sister is a Phillies fan. Love them too.

Corny said...

I go once a week to JH with my son. Maybe we see you there!

Snap said...

It sounds like a perfect day and thank you for sharing it with us. I finished Eat, Pray, Love and enjoyed the Bali part best. I did enjoy reading about the different cultures and felt I learned a lot. Wasn't Richard a hoot?!!!!!!!! Hope your week is as beautiful as this day was.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Thank you for taking us along. Your photos tell a lovely story, but I enjoy your writing style. And thinking about moths and pancakes...

Sweetpea said...

...had a long, lovely e-x-h-a-l-e while reading this...

Deb said...

I saw the movie...really enjoyed it...sounds like a great day..

Kerri Farley said...

Oh it does sound like a wonderful day Kate! And you captured the beauty of it for us all to enjoy!

maillady said...

it was a perfect day kate... glad you had a visitor... always nice to see your pictures... hope you have a nice week

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a perfect day, love the photo of your man's arms ( I love my man's hands and arms too). and the morning glories are just fabulous folding up like that. Mine last a long time too each day and I just adore them, all tho for some strange reason, I haven't taken many photos or even edited the ones I have taken yet. You might enjoy this beautiful link with some more incredible glories on it as well ( just found it this morning)
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne
http://cheyannesexton.etsy.com
thanks for the comments on my blog I really appreciate it. How did you find me?

Carol said...

Does look and sound like a very beautiful day :) Nice watermelon!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love spending it with you too... you are a calming balm to my soul! :)

mrs mediocrity said...

it looks like it was perfect, and you gotta love a perfect day. and cherish it. and remember it always.

ELK said...

and very well documented ..the food the flowers ..the birds..my scarf;0 such a beautiful story here!!

Lili said...

I just love reading your posts, you have this wonderful ability to always take us right along with you. That WAS a most perfect day. And I'm hungry now too! ~Lili

Low Tide High Style said...

What a perfect day and your photos are stunning as always! I especially love the last one with the furled morning glory!

I just began knitting again after a multi year hiatus, and I had to look up casting on too! I use the one needle method as well, and I truly think I'm just not smart enough to use 2!! Frightening I know, but oh so true!

Kat :)

Scriptor Senex said...

What a lovely way to record your perfect day. (Those pancakes have made me hungry!)

Dagmar said...

Hi there Kate, it's wonderful to be back and start of in a perfect day of your life.
It seems to be marvelous! Thanks for sharing. Oh and that book your reading is great. I've got it from my hubby about 6 years ago. Loved it.
Have fun with more blessed days.
Hugs Dagmar

Jayne said...

Sounds like a very perfect day indeed. I could feel the joy oozing out of your words Kate. :c)

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

It was beautiful! I love my husbands arms too ;0)

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful....

Daryl said...

So .. was the watermelon harvested? Did you spike it with vodka? Cut it up and add it to a salad? Hungry reader needs to know ..

I never cast on with two needles ..

GailO said...

Such a perfect day...I'm glad I spent it with you:)

The JR said...

I'm so glad you had a perfect day. Sometimes around here those are so hard to come by.

Enjoyed the pictures.

Jan's camera said...

That was just wonderful. What a perfect day. I would love to have a day like that. Your home sounds beautiful. I adore morning glories. Great looking watermelon. I agree about "Eat Pray Love". I loved the book but I struggled a bit through India. But I knew it would be worth it and it was. The movie was great, too.

abb said...

My morning glories were far short of glorious this year.

Will you save some of the seeds of the blue ones for me? I did that one year and the colors you get the following year are simply incredible - all shades and types of blues, purples, whites. Simply incredible.