Monday, March 14, 2011

Two cities; two weekends

I  spent Sunday in another city. (For those who are regulars here, last weekend was New York). Perhaps you can guess what city this is from the architecture ~ and the fact that I didn’t have to drive really far.

It was a typical March day, insomuch as no day in March can truly be described as typical. It was chilly and warm, and sunny and overcast, and bright, and windy ~ all wrapped up in one.


DSC_0340 copy 2

I guess this would be what is called a clue and if you googled those words, you’d know what city I’m in. But really, you can do this. Step away from the google.


DSC_0342 copy 2

And look at these old buildings. I think this one is a university, or part of one.


DSC_0350 copy 2

Ok. You should have it now. I mean, with the statue and all.


DSC_0349 copy 2

If I were a 1700’s babe, I would have totally been crushing on this guy.

I’m not kidding. He was smart, he was fun, he took naked air baths . . .
Ok. I’ll stop now.


DSC_0351 copy 2

That’s my niece, Emily, at the counter down there. We went to get take-out lunch.


DSC_0353 copy 2

An unusual gate; this marks the entrance to the Charles Addams Fine Arts Hall at the University of Pennsylvania.


DSC_0355 copy 2

In University City. Philadelphia.

Congratulations to those who guessed it. So was it Ben Franklin that did it for you?


DSC_0359 copy 0 copy 2

My lovely niece, Emily.

She’s Charlotte’s girl.


DSC_0359 copy 2

I couldn’t decide whether I liked Kevin Kubota’s chocolate syrup
(the sepia version, above) or this version. I love them both.


DSC_0360 copy 2

I’d like to spend some more time in this beautiful city. And you know what’s funny?

I was born here, in Philadelphia.

Yes, I was. Many, many years ago.

In the 50’s.


DSC_0361 copy 2

I just love the architecture. This was taken along Spruce Street, in University City where I was visiting my brother in the hospital.

Without going too much into it, he’s getting his final chemo treatment, and a stem cell transplant from his twin brother and will be in the hospital for a month. He was diagnosed with leukemia last spring.

It was a shock. Especially to him.


DSC_0363 copy 2

Everything will be ok, though. It will.

Even when he’s sick, my brother is just pure love. And speaking of love, I was in the City of Brotherly Love, man.


DSC_0366 copy 2

I loved this wall mural, shot from the driver’s seat of my car while stopped in traffic. I was giving my niece a ride home after the hospital visit, and she told me there’s a lot of cool art like this in the city.

So I’m going to have to go back. And maybe spend the night in her totally cool apartment where she has an upstairs and a kitchen with lots of room, an ironing board built into a wall cupboard, and stained glass windows.

: : :
I get nervous sometimes, driving in big cities, but the more I do it, the more I get used to it and I don’t get so {I don’t know} scared anymore. I guess what I’m saying is that for me, anyway, it’s good to face my fear.

And maps help.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

123 Signature

47 comments:

Michelle said...

Emily in chocolate syrup is positively frameable! And yes, Benjamin did it for me. We don't have buildings that old out here.

Anonymous said...

I like Emily in the colored photo.

I've never been to Philadelphia.... I know what you mean about loving Ben. I am in love with Thomas Jefferson... he was so hunkalicious!

Gayle said...

Looooove these armchair tours, thanks! I guessed correctly on the first photo, THO...I have never been to Phila. Have seen it in lots of movies. One with Denzel comes to mind. Mmmmmm, Denzel......Is there a pic of a cardinal as a prize for guessing correctly??? LOL

Prayers and good healing wishes for your brother. Your niece is a peach, go, go, go soon, stay in her darling appt.

Thanks for your wonderful blog!! George is a cutie but Blackie is my fave, give her a little head butt for me.
:)
Gayle in.....
Sunny, sunny, warm Sandy Eggo

beth said...

thanks for the visit....those buildings took my breath away....and the biggest prayers to your brother !!!

TexWisGirl said...

Gorgeous historical buildings. Liked your Ben crush... :)

God bless your brother and his family. Thanks for taking us along for the visit!

Jill of All Trades said...

I guessed Pennsylvania but not the town. Great snapshots and I love that gate.

deborah said...

Thank you for sharing your trip - I 'got' it when I saw Ben. He rocks!
Wonderful architecture
Your niece is so pretty!

Thoughts and prayers for your brother

Lisa said...

Kate..Your out and about and Im home. I love each photo you places here. Im a history buff and love old buildings . We dont have many in my part of Canada . I enjoying this blog more that you know.
Love Love them all. Your niece is stunning.
Have a wonderful time and I will never travel without a laptop again. Live and learn.
Have fun.

sharon said...

I've always wanted to visit Pennsylvania. Thanks for a short visit through photos. beautiful architect (I know msp.)

Lisa said...

Kate I also want to thank you for checking on me and my blog when I did leave for awhile. Ment alot.
Lisa

Infrequent Flyers said...

Your photos make all the cities look like cities of love, brotherly and otherwise. Hope your brother pulls through. It's so nice that you got to spend time with him and his family.

Donna S. said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Prayers for your brother.

Gone Country said...

You're such a traveler these days! And kudos to you for stepping outside of your country comfort-zone and seeing the city sights! My husband and I recently went back to my old city stomping grounds to visit some friends and we couldn't WAIT to get back to the two lane roads and wide-open spaces!

Will be praying for your brother as well as your husband.

Nice photos!

Unknown said...

That gate is sick (in a great way) love it!! Wonderful photos of a FUN, FUN city! You captured it well.

Deb said...

beautiful niece..beautiful photos...

Tiggeriffic said...

Those are great buildings in Pa.. I love to see college campus buildings ~ so much architecture...
Thanks for the visit~! it was tiggeriffic...
ta ta for now from Iowa:)
prayers for you brother...

Polka said...

amazing pictures :) I want to go see PA this year, it was actually on my list of things that i want to see this year :) now I am going to go read the post about your visit of my city (ny) :)

Hilary said...

Oh thanks for the tour. You certainly take us to the finest cities. I'll keep your brother in my best thoughts.

Annie said...

Ah, I guessed it right, thought you might have been visiting your brother again. Sorry to hear he is in hospital again, but here is hoping all will go well for him and his twin.

Love the architecture Kate. And the green on the uni building, very cool. A place I'd love to visit.

EliSa said...

Love, love, love your pictures, as usual!

Mental P Mama said...

Always had a major crush on my man Ben!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Beautiful city buildings! And many women crush on Ben Franklin. I like his smarts but the rest of him doesn't do it for me...I might be one of the very few!

Best wishes for your brother's full recovery -

Nurse Nancy said...

Great shots! I enjoy visiting Philly! Except for the Phillies of course....I am a Mets fan.

abb said...

Positive thougths to your brother - both of them.

Is that building green from moss, or are they really green stones? Whatever, it's beautiful!

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos. I have never been there but your post has brought a sence that I have thanks for sharing. Have a great day !

The JR said...

Sending well wishes to your brother.

Beautful buildings. What an amazing place.

ELK said...

what a stunning stroll .. each phot more amazing than the next.. all my best to your brother!!

your niece is beautiful .. i liked the sepia ..but both are lovely

Reena said...

Beautiful pics of my city! It was so cool to see them from a different viewpoint. Didn't recognize my own city until Ben popped up in the pic. Philly is so rich in material!
Well wishes for your brother.

BTW, you have (along with Pioneer Woman) have inspired me to improve my photography and I just purchased by first DSLR ... the Nikon D7000 ... Boy, am I in for a ride of learning! The lens themselves are overwhelming! Thanks for being out there and sharing!
Reena

Daryl said...

Maps are good and you are an awesome navigator ... compasses are good too.. and I am in love with the moss on those bricks .. reminds me of Hav'ard Yaaad

Lisa H said...

We spent last Saturday on a day trip to Philadelphia (live in Lancaster County, PA). There is a lot of beautiful architecture! Hope your brother continues to do well.

Julie Gatherum-McGuire said...

Thank you for sharing your gift. Blessings to your brother....he will be in my thoughts.

Julie

Meg McCormick said...

Hey, my husband was visiting a friend in Philly this weekend, too!

And yeah, I totally would have hung out with Big Ben. He liked beer.

Gail Dixon said...

Your niece is gorgeous; can't decide which photo I like better!

Beautiful photos of the university...yeah, I could see Ben Franklin getting my petticoats ruffled...or whatever they wore back in the day.

Hope your brother comes through the chemo well. Peace and blessings to you all.

Bluebird49 said...

You have many things going on to do with doctors, it seems! So glad your brother could help out your brother-in the city of Brotherly Love--hope they'll both be feeling well soon.

And Emily in Chocolate Syrup--lovely! Love her toothy grin.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Sounds like an excellent trip. So sorry to hear about your brother! May he be blessed with a miraculous recovery and be back to normal in no time.

Alli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alli said...

Were most of those photos from the campus? It was beautiful! Glad you shared your travel adventures with us!

Tess Kincaid said...

I have a soft spot for Philly, since my daughter lived there for five years. She's in NY now and I miss my visits to the lovely city of brotherly love.

Andi said...

You could have stopped at the flower show! I love Univ. of Penn. gorgeous campus. Used to walk it a lot when my mom was in the hosp. years ago. next time you are up, we should try for coffee. :)

Char said...

gorgeous shots and sites....i'm related to him you know - he had an affair with one of my great, great, greats and deeded her an inn

Mary said...

I miss Philadelphia, now that my son is back home again.

And you totally crack me up about Ben Franklin. :)
xoxo

Egghead said...

Would love to visit Philly. You know the great improvements on leukemia treatments are amazing compared to what my father went through 21 years ago. I am glad to see he is almost done with his chemo. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Great shots, looks like a wonderful place to go to school.

Anonymous said...

Great shots, looks like a wonderful place to go to school.

Unknown said...

sigh.

for all of it.
(sending healing thoughts for your brother)

Jan's camera said...

I wish your brother the best.

Lili said...

Having never visited Philly before I really enjoyed the tour. Your niece has the most beautiful complexion and for that I would vote for the full color, but I've always had this thing for sepia. Your "If I was a 1700s gal" cracked me up! Sending out positive thoughts for your dear brother. xo ~Lili