Friday, January 13, 2012

Every which way but loose

I know, I know. You’re totally shocked, aren’t you? Here I am posting three days in a row. Will wonders never cease?

It’s Friday evening and it’s been a good day. Aside from the fact that I caught a not-so-flattering glimpse of myself in the full-length mirror that our director at school has installed on her closet, it’s been a fine day. I got off early from school and oh, my gosh, was it ever cold. The wind was wicked and the air was frigid so I elected not to take George for walk and ended up watching Dr. Oz instead. Is that ever an informative program. And I’m this close to starting a low-carb diet, I tell you. This close . . .

Regardless, I’m always about the photos on this blog and today I have several to share with you that have nothing to do with each other. Well, other than the fact that they’re on the hard drive of my laptop at the moment. Yes, I am a loser because I still haven’t purchased a new external hard drive. I don’t want to talk about it, so let’s not.


DSC_0082 copy 2

This was taken earlier this month by my husband with our old D80. It’s a Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC) shot of one of the most beautiful sunrises which occured January 6. Everyone at school was talking about it that morning because we all come in at 7:30 am and we all witnessed the amazing skies on the drive to work that day.


DSC_1103 copy 2

Pier 1 on the Hudson in New York City. I took this over the holidays. The cloud action was pretty awesome.



DSC_0409 copy 2

Also taken over the holidays, this is my friend, Peg, with her darling little granddaughter. Peg, I just want to tell you that the guest room is ready. Bring wine. And bring Karen. I miss her.



DSC_2020 copy 2

My favorite window in the late afternoon. This is the window in my kitchen that faces west and has the most amazing light. I’m not too sure about the amaryllis plant there. It was a Christmas gift and when I opened it, it was pretty dried up. We’ll see how it goes, though. I bought some stones and a nice white pot for it to dress it up some. And I love that the geranium is blooming. On the left are some little spider plants that fell off when I was transplanting the parent plant this fall.

And yes, on the right you can see my pomander balls, made over the holidays, which still smell wonderful although they’re hard as a rock now.



DSC_2021 copy 2

The view out that same window.



DSC_2016 copy 2

Weird self-portrait.

I completely suck at these. And it’s so hard to focus.

I like the blur, though. And geez, my hair is really getting long.



DSC_2027 copy 2

And finally - tonight’s dinner. Friday night is take-out night and sushi makes me happy. My husband prefers a good cheesesteak and some onion rings, but give me sushi any day and I’m a glad girl. These are from Bamboo House in Newark, DE. On the left, we have Mexican Roll which consists of Kani mixed with wasabi mayo on top of shrimp tempura avocado roll. On the right is what they call the Brandywine Roll – Shrimp tempura, covered with avocado and topped with eel sauce. It was like a party in my mouth.

“And I find chopsticks frankly distressing. Am I alone in thinking it odd that a people ingenious enough to invent paper, gunpowder, kites and any number of other useful objects, and who have a noble history extending back 3,000 years haven't yet worked out that a pair of knitting needles is no way to capture food?”   Bill Bryson

No, you're not alone, Bill. I, too, have a problem with chopsticks. I've tried to overcome my affliction to no avail and all I can say is thank God for forks.

Hope your weekend is wonderful ~

Mine will be three whole days which may or may not have a lot to do with my happy mood. That and the fact that my husband ate a regular dinner tonight (see cheesesteak above) and I think I saw him smile several times. Life is good ~

123 Signature[5]

33 comments:

Low Tide High Style said...

That sunrise is amazing! And I hope your amaryllis makes it. I have single-handedly killed my beautiful cyclamen. It's sort of struggling to hang on, but I have my doubts. I'm blaming it on low humidity, but I fear I may have more of a roll in it than that!

And sushi would have to be the only food on the planet, and I would have to be starving before I would touch it. My daughter LOVES it though, so I'm glad you had such a yummy dinner!

Enjoy your 3 day weekend!

Kat :)

Hilary said...

I don't get sushi.......I have never had it, but it looks so strange.
My husband would be eating the steak too.
You need a sea onion for your window.

Anonymous said...

Love long week-ends when my husband is home an extra day...well, I did, until he started working his own consulting business and now works all the time! Lovely photos... did your amaryllis not bloom??

Cheryl said...

Such beautiful pictures. I love looking at all of them. I hope you have have a wonderful weekend.

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

I also enjoy sushi a lot. We have it about twice a month.
It's nice to put up some random photos sometimes. And I'm glad you are having happy days:-)

Candace said...

I'm glad you have a happy 3 day weekend ahead of you.

Cindy said...

The sunrise really is amazing. I usually don't comment but I visit quite often. Your posts are always wonderful. Happy three day weekend.

Lili said...

Sushi is always lost on me, but it does look quite lovely displayed in your plate. I would eat sushi before cheesesteak though, but not before onion rings. So glad it's the weekend for you and things are going well (and growing well too) in the manor house on the hill. xo ~Lili

Reena said...

Love sushi! And that sunrise is simply gorgeous! Enjoy your 3 day weekend!

GailO said...

You will have to let your husband know how much we all love his sunrise photo! Truly unbelieveable! Especially for those of us who don't like to get up that early:)

I do hope you have a marvelous three days!

Cloudia said...

frankly I didn;t see ANYTHING after Jan 6 RED sky!!!!!

oh MY


Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Skogkjerring said...

That first photo was A-MAZING!!! WOW WOW WOW! Who needs to retouch a photo like that? Mother Nature is quite the artist and your husband is really getting good at capturing great shots. Mine has actually been out with the camera too...I think they figure it´s a good hobby when they are tired of fixing things around the house ;-)))
I´m with ya on the sushi and looks like you are picking sushis I would eat- I always get the kind with shrimp either cooked or fried (tempura) or crab meat (which is also cooked) I think the only RAW fish I´ve had was salmon and I actually thought it was smoked salmon which I´ve eaten before so I didn´t say anything until afterwards. But I love the avocado in the roll ups....not so sure about the eel sauce..just sounds disgusting but probably tastes great- will take your word on that! :-)
Have a great Saturday :-)

Kerri Farley said...

Happiness resides at the Manor House :) Great post Kate!

thecatalanway said...

Quick read as I need to get started! Lovely posts - glad for your happy days. Wow what a sunrise and I suppose that makes it worth while being up so early and on route to work. Now I have a border collie barking for attention because she didn't go for a walk with the others so I must go! ( she is 15 and a half and the others sometimes need to go faster than snails pace) Here's to lots of good days with delicious food! K x

Maria_NJ said...

that sunrise was really lovely that day wasn't it? it made me go back inside and snap a few photos as well...

and to think we both turned our noses up to the ell, go figure...now I want some sushi!

Mental P Mama said...

Tw nights in a row of a regular dinner! Break out the bubbly! And have some for me...Love to you!!!

Sheila said...

Great Images, especially the sunrise image. Love your window with all of the plants, I thought I was the only one that had geraniums in bloom this time of the year. Enjoy your long weekend!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am glad things are on the up for you Kate - may that continue. That dawn photograph is quite something. As to Amaryllis - one of mine collapsed so I cut the stems off and put them in water - has lasted ages and looks lovely.

Nellie said...

Kate, it sounds like your long week-end is off on a good beginning! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your hard drive was not recovered. It could be worse - you have a tremendous body of work in your blogs & videos (I just watched the Neko Case one again a few minutes ago). I'm happy for the pictures we do still have to enjoy from you.

I loved the sunrise! We had a sunrise and sunset like that in Virginia a few months ago. Something must have happened - the skies were beautiful and it went on forever. I had enough time both in the morning and at night to pull off the road and take pictures of it.

http://livingtheseasons.com/2011/11/09/detect-the-music-of-nature/

Thank George for visiting my blog to see the hawk pictures and leaving a comment. That was very nice of him.

Nancy

mrs mediocrity said...

yay! that is what i like to hear!

that sunrise photo is just incredible.

this year, for the first time ever, my amaryllis and my paperwhite narcissus bloomed at the same time.

you have a big bud on yours, it will bloom for you!

sharon said...

I absolutely LOVE the sunrise picture! I'm a sunrise fanatic. love them.

beth said...

oh that sunrise....oh that yummy sushi....oh that baby....oh your hair really is long :)
thanks for keeping us safe in your little corner of the world....we love it there you know !!
xoxox

LadyFi said...

Lovely pics - that sunrise is amazingly gorgeous!

Country Girl said...

Oh, thanks so much everyone ~

C.G.

Daryl said...

Ypu are a bawdy gal.. a party in your mouth now .. a party in your pants (I am NOT going to explain how that was my fault) when you were here .. and you need to eat sushi rolls with your fingers! xo

ELK said...

these are spectacular in their randomness!!

Deb said...

We had sushi tonight....unagi, spicy tuna, yum

Andi said...

Love the self poitrait! Suits me well, I prefer to myself in blur - I feel that way most of the time! :) Plus I am not fond of the mirror most days.

Sunset is gorgeous.

Kim said...

I love the sunrise. The sushi ... not so much. I'm with your husband on that!

The JR said...

Wow! What a sunrise.

Okay, I like sushi too and now I want it for breakfast.

Mary said...

Oh gosh, I love Bill Bryson!

And that sunrise -- WOW!

Wishing you loads more smiles.
xoxo

remote control cars said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.