Sunday, February 10, 2013

A kitty, some birds, and the sunshine

It was a quiet, peaceful weekend without a trace of snow, and my heart goes out to those further north of me who are buried in up to 40 inches of the white stuff.

I would have liked just a little but I did get to see some when I visited family in NJ on Saturday. They had about 3 inches. And just look at this beautiful little kitty. I took my new flash bounce to practice with.

 

DSC_7481 copy 2

Her name is Adele.

 

And she is so affectionate.

 

 

DSC_7487 copy 2

George would love this little cat.

Plus, they would match very nicely.

 

DSC_7465 copy 2DSC_7487 copy 2

 

* snort *

 

 

DSC_7539 copy 2

I bundled up and sat outside in the dazzlingly beautiful sunshine today, among the flittering birds. Just listening to their calls and the beat of their wings as they flew overhead was pure bliss, as far as I’m concerned.

 

DSC_7536 copy 2

These last two are SOOC (Straight Out of Camera) shots.

 

 

DSC_7561 copy 2

The cardinal hung out in the bush next to me for more than a half hour before he ventured out in the open to get some sunflower seed. The female with him wouldn’t come out from the protection that the bush afforded.

:   :   :

The most impressive thing I saw on the news tonight was the story about the 7th grade California girl who sent her Hello Kitty doll into space, armed with cameras. She was able to get crystal clear footage of the earth that surprised her. With a little help from her dad, and a high-altitude balloon, the little rocket ship soared nearly 100,000 feet into the sky. Below is a video she made for the project, accompanied by music from Fun. (We Are Young). I expect to see more of this group on the Grammy Awards tonight.

 

Share

 

Hope your week is a good one. I’m hoping that mine is, as well.

123 Signature[5]

32 comments:

Country Gal said...

Sounds like you had one of my type of favorite days , sunny with camera in hand and birdies ! Lovely photos ! We are to get a bit warmer with rain over night and through tomorrow most of our snow should be gone soon ! Looking forward to Spring now that Feb is starting into it's 3rd week ! Have a good evening !

Sabrina Steyling said...

Beautiful kitty! Love the eyes, so expressive! The bird photos are awesome too. Lovely!

We got probably four inches here in my area of NJ, plows were at a premium but luckily we've got a landlord with access to some pretty awesome equipment and he got us cleared out today. :)

That Hello Kitty video was really neat! I forwarded it to my friend who's a HK nut. What a project!

Cloudia said...

The second I saw the Kitty I thought "George's soul mate"
*Snort*
SOC means something to me since I never show SOC.....but when you got that nice Nikon and know how to use it......good on YOU


Aloha to YOU
from Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >


Nellie said...

Adorable kitty! I missed the spot about Hello Kitty on a photo-taking mission.

I send along wishes to you for a good week.

Chrissykat said...

But of course I'm going to comment on the gorgeousness of that kitty!!! She is just stunning. I think I'm seriously going to have to look into this flash bounce as I usually loathe photos taken with indoor flash.

Reena said...

George would so make a good companion for her! But then Blackie would perhaps not like that. Adele posed so nicely for you. We had a bunch of snow dump on us out here in Utah. It's so cold and I'm so ready for spring!!

Low Tide High Style said...

Today must have been a bird snapping sort of day, I took a bunch of shots too! Love that sweet kitty, and that video rocks! I want a Go Pro!!!

Kat

JC said...

I thought maybe you'd be in the snow but maybe in the next round. lol

That cat is purrfect !!! So, why don't you have one ?

XO,
JC

Carol E. said...

I loved that video of the rocket in space!! Kind of creepy (my dislike of heights) and fascinating at the same time.

Deborah said...

I if any has a soft spot for tuxedo cats as I had one - Garbo! Still miss her.

Glad you escaped the snow and had a lovely weekend.

Country Girl said...

Oh, Deborah! She was so beautiful. I'm so sorry.

Daryl said...

such a pretty kitty ...

Dianne said...

Adele is beautiful
the bird actually matches George and Adele
how cool is that :)

Anonymous said...

Got my flash bounch today...can't wait to give it a spin! Your portrait of the kitty is outstanding. She and George make a handsome pair! And thanks for sharing that video...that was amazing!

mudmaven said...

Such a sweet and photogenic kitty! I do think she and George would make quite a pair. I had two of those cute black and whites at one time - George and Frank - great kitties. Love the bird pix (as always the glimpses of cardinals are so welcome). Great video too! WOW! ~chris

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Adele is beautiful, those eyes!... and wow, what a hello kitty project.

beth said...

i love real names on animals....so adele just stole my heart :)

the grammy's were great....did you watch ?

now i'm off to watch your video :)
xo

The Weaver of Grass said...

It is obviously a young cat - it has such crystal-clear eyes. Gorgeous.

The JR said...

She's beautiful...I love Tuxedo Cats...she looks like my Putter.

Ellen said...

Kitty/Doggie dopplegangers? What is the world coming to?

Tracey said...

What a cool video and a great science project! I too wish we had gotten a tad bit of snow. :( Maybe this week? xoxo

Tracey said...

P.S. I have a bird post coming up on Wed. that I might need your help with...had trouble identifying the bird ;)

Anonymous said...

Those images were great SOOC - no need for anything else. I hadn't heard about the little girl. Can't wait to see the video!

Jan's camera said...

That was a very cool video. Thanks. Love the photos.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what a Sweet Sweet Kitty! Love your pics Kate!

mrs mediocrity said...

Love the kitty, very good at posing..... And a perfect match for George!

We had just the perfect amount of snow....I hope you have a good week, too!

Deb said...

Beautiful photos and what a darling cat.

Lili said...

Even the chickadee matched George and Adele! So sweet. And that video was amazing and has me wondering whose yard it came down in up in that tree! xo

Jill of All Trades said...

What a beauty Adele is. Totally photogenic!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I love tuxedo kitties--Hey, George is a tuxedo dog! Have you seen Susan Branch's tuxedo cat, Jack? He really has a mustache--very unique! Adele is very beautiful and glad to see she isn't wearing a tacky dress like the "other Adele"! (I do love her voice, just not her taste in clothes).

GailO said...

Love matching dogs and cats!

We got two feet of snow that weekend but the worst thing was losing power for two and a half days...we didn't get a chance to see the Grammys...or Downton Abbey:(

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful blog.I love the dog and cat adorable one.Thank you for sharing with us.
Buy Youtube Comments