Saturday, May 8, 2010

I must have done something right

I’ve just returned home from an evening spent at the home of a friend who moved last weekend. She has a new place on the water. There’s ever so much more to the story including sordid tales of a marriage gone bad, but I’ll just leave it at that.

My friend’s new digs are awesome though, and I’m very happy for her. Some other friends came over and we all ended up sitting out on the front porch of the new place, looking out at the water and the sunset and enjoying each other’s company.

It’s late though and I need to hit the hay but what I really want to tell you before I visit the land of Winken, Blinken and Nod is something that happened today at work.

Today we had several floral deliveries for my teacher friends and at one point, a florist arrived with the most beautiful bouquet of gerbera daisies I have ever seen in my life. And I was absolutely gob smacked (there’s just no other way to put it) to find out that this big beautiful bouquet was for me.

DSC_0261 copy 2

My two sons had sent me the flowers for Mother’s Day. They looked best in front of my co-workers desk in the office next to mine (and it made her happy) so that’s where I kept them, and every single person that came into the room had something to say about them. They were just that stunning.

I must have done something right raising these boys (this is something I heard many times today). This photo doesn’t do them justice at all. It was taken a half hour ago in the dark little breakfast nook with just the Ott light shining on the bouquet. I’ll take better photos tomorrow.

But for now, I am happy. Tired, but happy.

And it’s very late.

So until tomorrow, my friends . . .

33 comments:

Unknown said...

awww how sweet! And I love the word "gob smacked" - not part of the every day vernacular!

Jo

p.s. - thanks for stopping by my blog!

Michelle said...

I hope I am saying the same thing about my boy in another 15-20 years. Good job, Mom!

abb said...

You are so very loved. Nice!

Julie Harward said...

That is the most wonderful feeling...to be remembered and loved by our children! A bit of giving for all that we gave goes a long way in our hearts. How nice of them..awesome sons! Come say hi, a special thing happened at my blog today! :D

Caroline said...

Awwwww...that just warms my heart! Have a wonderful Mother's day!

Skogkjerring said...

I totally get you being shocked by your kids...whenever mine surprise me I think...yes...I haven't a clue what I'm doing with them but something must be right...love that feeling!!
Beautiful daisies...enjoy and have a wonderful Mother's Day Weekend!!

Holly said...

Thoughtful kids are the best. I am sure these are gorgeous flowers and they were delivered from a couple of young men who love you....that makes them even more beautiful!

Happy Mothers Day

BB said...

Oh WOW!!! You know, my wedding flowers were gerberas - my absolute favourite flower of all time! Gorgeous, simple, no perfume to make me sneeze... And your son/s - keepers!
:-)
BB

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Happy Mothers Day, Kate! and oh...you've probably done more than a few things right. :-)

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Happy Mother's Day Kate. Doesn't it just warm your heart?

Mental P Mama said...

You absolutely have done a wonderful job. And you continue to do! Happy Mother's Day my friend.

Jayne said...

Awwww... how very sweet and how wonderful to be fully gob smacked like that!

Razzberry Corner said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

You did do something right, and you should be proud. What a sweet gesture.

wv: downiter. I'm downiter beach having a girls' weekend of my own, and it's a blast. Weather is spectacular.

Happy Mother's Day.

Andi said...

They are so sweet! The boys that is, not the flowers. The flowers are beautiful. It is so nice when our children make us truly proud of them. I am hopefully raising my son to be much more, let's say, aware of his significant other than my dh can be at times. :) Happy Mother's Day!

altar ego said...

Rock on, Mom! Good on your boys to send you such love and beauty. Enjoy them--I love gerberas and will be planting a few today myself!

Low Tide High Style said...

You clearly raised wonderful sons who are thoughtful and love their mother! Happy Mother's Day and enjoy your beautiful flowers!

Kat :)

JC said...

I have always liked Gerbers Daises so I can imagine how lovely yours are.

Gail said...

I knew you were a good guy, the boys just verified that for me. Beautiful flowers and my favorites.

We have a saying here, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Daryl said...

That they did it together makes it even more special...

JacksDad said...

If you have to get smacked, getting smacked in the gob is the best :)

Deb said...

I haven't thought of Winken, Blinken and Nod in a very long time!
Happy Mother's Day!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

sounds like you have a couple of great boys with very good taste:) Happy Mother's Day!

Mary said...

First of all, I love it that you say "gobsmacked!" What a great word!

Secondly, you did a good mommy job -- what a sweet bouquet from your boys! Beautiful picture too. :)

Have a very happy Mother's Day Kate.
xoxo

myletterstoemily said...

oh, you raised such thoughtful young
men who love their mama!

have you seen the funny commercial
about the men who send their mom
flowers and then basically ask her to
re-imburse them?

ELK said...

i am so happy they did that Kate ..I know you did a lot right!!

Cloudia said...

we flock here to bask in your "Something Right"-fulness!!



Aloha from Hawaii


Comfort Spiral

Anonymous said...

Gerbers are just the sweetest way to tell someone you love them.

Di

Chrissykat said...

Lovely flowers given to a lovely soul...Happy Mother's Day...

mrs mediocrity said...

Gerbera daisies are one of my favorite flowers. And yes, what a wonderful gift for you. Have a lovely Mother's Day!

p.s. - word verification word: joyfil...so there you have it.

Donna S. said...

Beautiful!! I got a bouquet of mixed flowers from my out of town son & family. Love Them!!

Hilary said...

Happy Mother's day to you, Kate. I'm happy for you.. flowers are always such a special gift... particularly from sons. :)

LR Photography said...

Great photographic work, congratulations!