Friday, May 14, 2010

Some questions answered

To those of you who read this blog and the comments that go along with it, it may look as though I rarely answer reader’s questions. The truth is that I always try to answer questions, but more often than not, I end up e-mailing the answer rather than leaving the it in the comment section. On rare occasions, I will venture back into the comment section to leave an answer, but only after I’ve realized that there’s no other way to contact the person.

DSC_0284 copy 4

I asked George if he thought I should answer some reader’s questions in a post tonight but he just looked at me as if he didn’t understand.

So I’ll just go ahead and answer a few questions that have been asked in the past couple of weeks. Let’s begin then, shall we?

“What farm did your husband work for? Was it in Maryland?”

For ten years, my husband worked at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Maryland. He was hired as the broodmare manager and took on the stallion manager position when it became vacant a few years afterward.

“When did you start photography as a hobby?”

I began in my early 20’s when I bought a used 35mm Nikon and with the manual, taught myself how to use it. There’s a lot more information about me on the “About Me” tab at the top of the blog. It’s not very interesting, though.

DSC_0282 copy 3

“Did you hear that? Was that a squirrel?”

George, focus. Let’s get back to the reader’s questions now.

“Do you ever press flowers?”

No, Annie, I never have but I did look it up online and it seems like it would be fun.

“Are wild roses the same as primroses? We had those in Texas growing up.”

No, I don’t think so, Jo. But I’m not an expert and had to google it. I google everything. And Wikipedia says they are not the same.

“Do you have a macro lens or do you set your camera on the macro setting?”

I have a macro lens. There are times when I set my camera to the macro setting but it’s only in an emergency (like when I don’t have my macro lens) but the photos are never ever as good as using a macro lens. My macro lens is one of the best investments I ever made.

“Do you sell your pictures?”

I have an etsy site. I’ve had some sales but let’s just say that I’m not planning on quitting my day job any time soon.

“Isn't Photoshop wonderful? Do you remember when I couldn't figure out how to open a photo in PS?!”

I remember it well, Mary. It’s become second nature to us now, like breathing out and breathing in. (Name that movie) (or Broadway musical).

“Don’t you need a masters degree to be able to use Photoshop?”

Now, that’s a huge no. If I can do it, you can. You must trust me on this.

“Do you think 'smoky' and the doc will be left on the island and everyone else will get to live happily ever-after in the flash sideways?”

I think you may be on to something there, Becky, and we’re going to find out really soon. Good heavens, what will I do when Lost ends? (Don’t answer that).

DSC_0279 copy 4

I love having all of you visit and am glad you’ve made this blog one of your regular stops. Hope you all have a great Friday and an even better weekend.

Love ya.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

28 comments:

Hilary said...

What a good idea to make a post of questions and answers. I was pretty sure that George would have more than one though.

Country Girl said...

He's got a one-track mind when it comes to squirrels, though.

Mental P Mama said...

George rocks. So do his parents;)

Julie Harward said...

I love George! Enjoyed your ?&A's...I guess I like comments the best..emails get too many and it drives me nuts! LOL But I do love to hear from you! :D

Low Tide High Style said...

I never answer questions in the comments section either, unless I get that dreaded "no-reply" thingie and I can't email someone back!

Love the pictures and the answers. And here's a question for you...does George ever answer any of the questions for you?! ;)

Have a great weekend!

Kat :)

Pseudo said...

My Ollie wants to know if he will get to play with George.

Deb said...

I love that you answered questions...love the photos of George..

Chrissykat said...

"My Fair Lady"

I will cry when Lost ends...okay, maybe I won't cry but...

I heart George & Kate

C~

Char said...

:) love the answers

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Quick note: your pics posted yesterday were a balm unto my soul. Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

Dee from Tennessee

Brynwood Needleworks said...

"I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" sigh...Rex Harrison, who made women swoon at his voice, even though he couldn't really sing. Love "My Fair Lady"...but I digress...

Love your Q & A post today, Kate...and smooches to that handsome George, too!

xoxo
Donna

Gail said...

Great post, and answered some questions I had not asked yet.

I often wonder what is better, to answer on the comment section or email. I do not know the rules. I enjoy the personal touch of replying in email to comments.

beth said...

you and george just totally cracked me up !

Mary said...

"I've grown accustomed to your face... like breathing out and breathing in..." Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady," right?

Caroline said...

Ha...love your Q&A...you need to work on getting George to focus more...lol. And I agree 100% about the macro lens. Best investment I made camera wise.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

My Fair Lady! It's my Fair Lady - and I'm sure dozens of people have already answered, but I couldn't stop myself!

mrs mediocrity said...

That first picture is a classic, George is so handsome! I love the way you interact with your readers, it makes it so fun to come here...

Sweetpea said...

Heh everybody, I can totally vouch for the fact that CG writes ya back IF your email is available on your profile/blog cuz I ALWAYS (well ok, almost always) hear back from her when I comment. Good, now that's settled.

"Hi George!!!!"

Russell said...

Enjoyed the Q & A session. Very informative and a nice format.

I have often said a college course could be based on My Fair Lady - easily. One of my favorite parts is the horse race at Ascot. All the people are dressed in grey and black fancy clothes and doing everything very slowly in perfect coordination.

The whole scene is a satirical look at society. Then Eliza comes in and goes through the wonderful scene about how someone "done her aunt in, they did"!

Take care and give George a pat on the head for us!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Instead of ADD, George has ISS. I stalk squirrels. It's in the OCD line of anxiety disorders.

Daryl said...

Her smiles, her frowns, Her ups, her downs Are second nature to me now, Like breathing out and breathing in. I was serenly independent And content before we met ... but now I just want to go shoot photos with you

Nurse Nancy said...

I love George and your blog and hope to meet you some day.....FlyBoy wants a new Nikon and when he gets it, I plan on taking over his old one and learning photography.

Anonymous said...

I am shocked that George could stick with you after the squirrel showed up.....smiles.

The JR said...

I appreciate it when you take time to email me. Thank you!

George is truly a beautiful creature. Someone has to keep those squirrels in line.....

abb said...

That was fun!

Anonymous said...

I take tons of macro shots but REAAALLLLY want a macro lens and SOON! Obviously you read that manual on the used 35mm camera from front to back because your photos certainly reflect it.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is like reading a note from a friend, not a stranger and your emails re: responses reenforce the feeling! As Anne of Green Gables would say, you are a kindred spirit!

Linda (GillLink)

Skeletalmess said...

Wonderful post.
Love the Q & A.

I about lost my coffee on the George and squirrel bit. : )