Sunday, May 9, 2010

Into the light

Yesterday I finished putting together this year’s container plants and hanging baskets and also planted a few hostas I’d bought. When I was younger, I could go all day with the yard work and the housework but now . . . not so much.

After putting away all the tools, I showered and changed and took a book outside to sit in the sun and read.

DSC_0295 copy 2

I brought the bouquet that I received from my sons outside and used the beautiful light on the porch to take some macro shots.

DSC_0291 copy 2

I also made this lovely summer drink. (It’s not non-alcoholic).

1/3 lime, cut up

packet of Splenda

ice

vodka (I used Skyy)

club soda

Mull the lime with the sugar, using a wooden spoon (crush the sugar into the lime). Fill glass with ice. Pour vodka to 1/3 full;  top with club soda.

DSC_0324 copy 2

It’s yummy. Or you can leave the vodka out if you like and just use club soda.

I think I like this shot the best (the one above).

DSC_0314 copy 2

It was crazy windy here in Maryland today.

These flowers are so beautiful and I’m blessed to have my sons.

DSC_0333 copy 2

Today we’re going to Jersey to have lunch with my in-laws, stopping on the way home to visit my brother in the hospital. (He sounded much better when I spoke to him yesterday).

DSC_0309 copy 2

And I’ll think of my mother.

I hope your day is wonderful, my friends. Happy Mother’s Day to everyone who is a mom and thanks so much for stopping by today.

29 comments:

Razzberry Corner said...

Happy Mother's day to you, Country Girl!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Happy Mothers Day, Kate :-) Lovely Daisies...

Jayne said...

I love your macro shots Kate and think that third one is my favorite as well. The drink sounds refreshing and yummy!

Happy Mother's Day!

Heather said...

Kate, Happy Mother's Day to you, too. Your arrangement of photos is absolutely stunning; a treat for my eyes and heart.

Ellen said...

Happy Mother's Day Kate.

Cheryl said...

Happy Mother's Day !!

Beautiful Flowers.

Kathy said...

Beautiful photos. Your talent continues to amaze me.
Have a great day.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kate. Thank you for sharing your flower photographs. I think they're spectacular. Have a great day, my friend.
xoxo
Donna

Deb said...

Happy Mother's Day Kate -
Such beautiful flowers from your boys and awesome photos as always.

Enjoy your day and best wishes to your Brother.

Mental P Mama said...

Have a wonderful day my friend....

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Exquisite photography Kate! Have a wonderful day with your family.

beth said...

happy mother's day kate !

and those flowers are beautiful !

Kerri Farley said...

Happy Mother's Day Kate! Your flower shots are beautiful!
I always think of Mother's Day as a Day to honor those ladies in our lives that nuture our souls ~ whether they are our Mother or not.

You nuture my soul ~ with your words AND your pics!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Sounds like you have a lovely day ahead of you! The men in my family are barbecuing today! Yahhh, I don't have to cook! I may bake a pound cake - because I WANT to--not because I have to!
Your daisies are beautiful--What a thoughtful gift from your boys! I think my son-in-law has vodka - I just may try that drink!

Gail said...

Enjoy your day. We shall remember our mothers.

The photos are so spectacular today. I think it is the love showing with the senders and with the photographer.

Carol said...

Happy Mothers Day to you also and thanks for the absolutely beautiful shots of those flowers, the only ones I got today!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Have a wonderful day! LOVE the photos, especially the thrid one and the last one.....beautiful. Do you have a macro lense or do you set your camera on the macro setting?

Char said...

happy mother's day! sounds like it's off to a beautiful start.

Deb said...

beautiful flowers...Happy Mother's Day....drink sounds yummy

Daryl said...

I like the profile ... but oddly I like the 2 following it even more.... Happy Mother's Day!

Country Girl said...

Thank you so much everyone. Cold here in Maryland today!

~ C.G.

ELK said...

this is one of my favorite flower series Kate ..you are a marvel...and happiest of mothers day

Hilary said...

Gorgeous shots one and all. You do macro best!

Donna S. said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kate!! The flowers are beautiful. I just love your pictures. Wish I had a decent camera & the talent you have.

Michelle said...

Happy Mothers Day to you, Kate.

BB said...

Have a wonderful day Kate - mine was lovely!!! Also love the image you pointed out...
:-)
BB

The JR said...

Luv the pictures!

A New England Life said...

I love these photos and the way you cropped them. Perfect pink for Mothers Day!

Darned wind, hopefully it will let up by tomorrow here in the northeast.

Girl Tornado said...

Love your macro flower shots, and esp the one you mention that you like best, that one is outstanding.

Oh, and I like the sound of your drinkie too. Sounds like the perfect beverage after working in the yard. Like you, I remember when I would work all day in the yard, digging and planting, and then shower, and go out with friends that night!! Wow. No more that. And I even have to break up my all day garden ventures into short chunks on consecutive days... the all-day thing just doesn't cut it anymore. :-(

Speaking of, more garden work today! Maybe I'll try your drinkie later today, when I sit on the front porch to relax in our brand new glider. :) Can't wait!