Friday, May 7, 2010

A trick I learned today

I’ve always wanted to be able to accomplish this mouse-over effect that I’ve seen employed on other web pages and today, while visiting one of my favorite blogs, I found out how to do it.

Well, we’ll see if I actually works after I hit publish. So I’ll be crossing my fingers here.

Basically, what I wanted to show on my blog was the original photo, but if you move your mouse over it, you’d be able to see the SOOC version. (SOOC means Straight Out Of Camera).

So let’s see if this worked, shall we?

Today I found this photo on the camera disk. My husband had been out with the macro lens today, and there were about 30 new photos to view.

I opened this one up in Photoshop and ran an action from the Florabella Collection called Sweet Vintage. I did some other things too, like adding a slight burnt edge and then adding a soft texture layer, brushing it off the petals and center of the flower.

Egads! Didn’t mean to freak you out here. I first published this photo last year at this time and like the one above, it was also taken by my husband.

I don’t remember what I did to it but I sure hope it works if you run your mouse over it.

This is a photo I took in NYC this past February. It’s a railing detail at the Dakota Hotel. I used Kevin Kubota’s Chocolate Syrup 1 action on it. Yum.

UPDATE TO THIS POST: I posted this about an hour ago with Pioneer Woman’s instructions. Maybe they worked for other people but they sure didn’t work for me. Could have been Blogger, Live Writer, I dunno. I did a little research and found a code that did the trick, though.

Here’s the link to the trick: {Mouse-over Effect}

Where it says TARGET URL and FIRST IMAGE: That’s where you’ll put the URL of the GOOD IMAGE, the one you want to show.

Where it says SECOND IMAGE, that’s where you’d place your SOOC shot.

Hope you have fun with it. Try it out on your blog and leave a link here if you like!

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

41 comments:

Michelle said...

VERY cool! I've always wished I could compare more of your SOOC and PS'ed photos. I don't tinker with my photos enough to warrant using this feature, but it's nice to know where I can find the instructions should that change. Thanks!

Deb said...

that is so cool...what a neat trick...

Julie Harward said...

I don't understand a lot of it but I always love what you put out there for us to see...thanks for sharing it all. Come say hi :D

Country Girl said...

Thanks, Michelle.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm violating Flickr’s terms of service, which say “pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr.”
I thought by clicking on my photo, it would provide a linkback, but it doesn't. Darnit!!
I guess I could do a manual link.

~ C.G.

Country Girl said...

Wow. Two other comments while I was typin'. Hey, gang.

~ C.G.

Char said...

:) very professional

Mary Lou said...

I love that...So can we do it or it's not legal??

mrs mediocrity said...

PW made it look so easy...great shots either way!

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

I didnt notice PW providing a link back when she did it... did she? I am going to have to go look now.

Andi said...

Awesome! I love learning new things. :) totally love the bee photo the most. I have PS but don't know how to use it yet. Thanks for teaching us a new skill!

Holly said...

Ooooo! got to try this one! Thanks!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Awesome!!.. gonna try it. Also played with dandelions today, you inspired me so...

Country Girl said...

Mary Lou, the Flickr guidelines are here:
http://www.flickr.com/guidelines.gne
I'm still not sure how I'm going to get around it.

~ C.G.

Marla said...

Awesome pictures. They make me so excited about summer. :)

Marla @ www.asthefarmturns.wordpress.com

Gail said...

Cool. I like that, but, alas, I fear I will never learn those tricks or talents.

BB said...

Hmmmm - PW's worked for me, but it ain't workin' here... got no clue. None. Sheesh!
:-)
BB
PS The clue-free status would lead you to think I would be the LAST person to hand out blog-how-to lessons, wouldn't it? Nevertheless, hints at my place today too! :-)

abb said...

They're beautiful, but reading instructions makes my head hurt...it sucks getting old.

WV: apstied - "She was all apstied up trying to figure out all those photograph moves."

Low Tide High Style said...

Great trick and it worked like a charm for me! I love that railing picture...yum is right!!

Kat :)

Kay on south coast of Or said...

Hey kate: That is cool. I didn't even try it on Ree's sight, as i thought it was only for her photo experiences......gee, that's super.
What fun.

GailO said...

This is fantastic! You did a great job....I saw this on PW too but it really looked way over my head...Maybe I'll try this on some rainy day because I know it would take me all day:)

Loved your shot of the fence..

beth said...

love the mouse over....but too tired now to add it....maybe on a rainy day :)

Ellen said...

Congrats on learning a new 'trick' - very cool.

Sweetpea said...

Heh CG, this is the best tip I've been given today - ok, well it's really the only tip I've been given today but it's still THE BEST! Can't wait to try it out!! I always appreciate seeing your befores-n-afters...I learn a lot. THANKS.

Hilary said...

Fun new stuff and a great idea.

Heather said...

Aren't you awesome for sharing this?! Yes, you are. Thanks a bunch, Miss Kate!

:)

Now, at some point within the day, I'll share it and link to you in the process.

Jayne said...

Now that's a pretty cool trick there!

Flea said...

That's so COOL! And the difference in the shots is amazing! You're quite good.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Awesome! You are always so kind to share your knowledge!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Your photoshopping is so amazing - I'm envious, I'm always too scared to even attempt post processing!

Judy said...

How cool is that! I'm going to have to try it.

Daryl said...

Cool .. the last shot of the Dakota rail showed off the effect of SOOC and altered more than the others at least to my eye .. and I cant believe MY blog isnt your favorite!

;-) xo

WV: beldsind .. sort of like that effect .. blends in

Mental P Mama said...

Love it! You are such a good student;)

Caroline said...

Thanks for this! I will have to try! Great shots.

Kerri Farley said...

WOW ~ what a super duper trick!! i LOVE it! And i LOVE the photos too ... That BEE is superb!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

LOVE the railing! Outstanding.

Unknown said...

So COOL - I tried and tried last night, but no luck.

Tonight - I DID IT. Check it out.
JO

www.teensandtriplets.com

Mary said...

Whoa! That is so cool!! You know I'm going to have to try that real soon... :)

Gena @ A Bluebonnet in Beantown said...

You know, I'm such a photography newbie that every one of my shots is SOOC. Of course I know that PS exists, but I'm amazed at the gorgeous, subtle effects that you can achieve. What fun! I just discovered your blog and absolutely love it. I look forward to reading more.

Paul Crowe said...

Hi Kate,

Paul Crowe here from Spice Up Your Blog.I seen quiet a bit of traffic coming from this post so i thought i would check it out :D

I love how you have used the Mouse Over effect, Excellent.

If you dont mind i might add a link to this post on the mouseover tutorial.Your examples really show the potential of the effect.

Great blog keep up the good work,

Paul.

Country Girl said...

Sure, Paul. That would be fine. Couldn't respond to you via e-mail.

Diane said...

Kate,
I am still having a problem and would like to know if I could get more details from you?
Thanks~
diane
rosajosies@yahoo.com