Thursday, October 1, 2009

Along Fabric Row in Philadelphia

Earlier this evening, while I was working on some photos in Photoshop, my program began to go wonky. This got me very upset and even afraid, because if I ever lost Photoshop, it would be like losing a very good friend.

I got a little worried, so I shut down my laptop and devoted my rapt attention for the next two hours to the continuing Ken Burns’ film on America’s National Parks.

DSC_0112 copy 2

And when it was over,  I got brave enough to start up the laptop again and open Photoshop.

And it worked.

And I rejoiced.

To celebrate, I explored travel photos from the summer, specifically a trip I took to Philadelphia in July to visit my niece. I figured I’d post a photo on my Picture A Day blog and then hit the sack.

DSC_0104 copy 2

It didn’t work out that way, however. I was having too much fun.

I took all of these photos at the Pennsylvania Fabric Outlet along Fabric Row. There’s my niece taking a picture of me taking a picture.

DSC_0106 copy 2

The store had everything you could think of and it was all jam-packed in a long narrow building that I found extremely interesting.

DSC_0111 copy 2 

Boxes upon boxes of buttons lined the front walls.

DSC_0108 copy 2

Colorful cottons caught my eye.

DSC_0114 copy 2

And barrels full of rolls of upholstery fabric were on the front pavement because there was no room in the store for them.

I had a wonderful time with my sister Char and my niece Emily in Philadelphia this summer. I only wish I had been able to go with them, and the rest of my family, to my other niece’s wedding which was held last weekend in IL. Emily posted about it however, and has lots of photos up [link]. I even got to see the quilt square that I’d contributed, and those of everyone in my family. Nice job, Em!!

Ok. Now I’m tired. Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

23 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thanks for winging me from Waikiki all the way to my birth city.

Mahalo :)


Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

Quiltpiecer said...

Fabric row would be like heaven to me ... trim, buttons, fabric, love the colors and textures ... wonderful pictures!

Mary said...

Oh, I'm so glad PS is still working for you! I would have been crazy, too.

What a fun, quirky little shop! I <3 Philly. :)

Unknown said...

Big, heavy sigh....buttons have a way of making me do that.

A New England Life said...

What a place! Look at all that stuff! My problem is that I would find some fabric I couldn't live without and then have to redo a whole room ... much to my husbands dimay. LOL!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

I love fabric row in Philly! Your photos make me want to go back. NOW!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

I love these!! My mother loved to sew and make quilts and cushions, so spent many an hour with her 'wrapped' in fabrics in a similar store. Thanks for the memories. Fab photos.

Hilary said...

All that fabric....looks like heaven to me.

Gail said...

Art is in the simple things.

Your photos are wonderful.

Daryl said...

What neat shots, love the button boxes. There's a shop on Lexington Avenue at 61st St (I think, tho it might be 62nd St) called Tender Button. Oh the buttons they sell are simply delicious ...

Deb said...

who's taking a photo of you taking photo?

and I didn't know that you actually went to a fabric store when I left my comment on your other blog!!! silly!

Unknown said...

Great photos! I had my first photoshop lesson with my husband last night and well, I'm here to tell you about it so it couldn't have been too bad! I yawned and feigned tiredness when he started getting all fancy pants with me.

I love the last photo, the tailor shop across the street is using my maiden name so it's hard not to have something like that 'jump out and speak to me'!
Be well! ~Andrea~

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

fantastic girl!
<><

JC said...

I love fabric stores ..

Mental P Mama said...

I would love to get my hands on some of that upholstery fabric!

My name is Riet said...

Oh, how I wish I was there in that shop. Lovely picture.

Char said...

Looks like a great place to visit - love the colors and the textures

Jeanne Walker said...

I don't want to give you the 'big head' but looking at these photos made me think I was looking in a Southern Living magazine! They are definitely mag worthy! I, too, wish that shop was down the street from me!

Another Sister said...

I liked seeing pictures of our fun time in the city. And I love your house. You really make a cozy place for and your family. Got all caught up on your posts today. I missed checking every day! XXOO

The Weaver of Grass said...

That fantastic fabric shop is in Philadelphia? And I was in Philadelphia in May and didn;t find it? Oh how cross I am - it is almost worth coming back specially - I love fabric and cannot resist buying it. Maybe on second thoughts it is better I didn;t find it otherwise we would have had to pay excess baggage.

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm nutty about dress forms and have a vintage male and female couple, myself. That's a fabulous photo!! I'm taking it back to the manor and using it for my screen saver pic, if that's okay with you. :^)

The JR said...

I cound spend my whole pay check in that store.

Ramona

Sharon said...

Fun shots! I love the first one.

Photoshop asks wonky for me every so after. Luckily closing and rebooting fixes the problem.