Friday, October 2, 2009

Sweet afternoon light

My husband had an appointment in Baltimore this afternoon, so we left George in the house for 4 hours all by his lonesome.

And when we got home, boy was that dog glad to see us -- although he ran straight away for the first squirrel that caught his eye. After we had our cup of tea under the umbrella, we played frisbee with our best buddy.

I used my least favorite lens, the Quantaray 70-300 mm for these photos. I also adjusted the white balance because it was so bright in the sun, and I was shooting towards it.

DSC_1015 copy 2

I was focusing manually, which is always sketchy with this lens and is one of the many reasons why it remains at the bottom of my list. The focus ring is quite loose, making it difficult to capture a truly sharp image. But it’s the only zoom I own at the moment and I am glad to have it.

These first two shots are of George on what I call his ‘frisbee point’.

DSC_1016 copy 2

There were also plenty of wonderful, awe-inspiring leaps into the air and perfect frisbee catches. Plenty of them, I tell you!

And that ain’t no fish story. But did I catch even one that was crisp and clear?

DSC_0995 copy 2 

Well, that would be a big no.

I caught many blurry ones though, and these are the only two that came out at all. I deleted the other 32.

You know I’m kidding, right?

DSC_0984 copy2 DSC_0986 copy2

When I’m not taking pictures, I clap and cheer for all the good catches.

DSC_1014 copy 2

Is he looking at me? I do believe he is.

DSC_1007 copy 2 

It was a beautiful late afternoon in the backyard at the manor house on the top of a hill in Maryland.

DSC_0938 copy 2

And a nice surprise, too.

My husband found several hawk feathers today. I got terribly excited. I mean, I love jewelry and perfume, too. But bird feathers really float my boat.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

29 comments:

Cloudia said...

We adore George!
Great shots...

Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

Char said...

I played with the tamron version of that lens yesterday at the zoo. it is a big softie at the long end for sure. still the shots are beautiful and work.

Michelle said...

Love George, he is gorgeous. I used to live in the Annapolis area about 11 years ago, before we moved back to our small town. I do miss Maryland sometimes.

Mental P Mama said...

Sigh. Hope all is well.

Caroline said...

Wow wow wow! Your dog is so cool! Love the feather!

Pony Girl said...

I love photographing in the afternoon light! :) That feather is gorgeous, and a great find. I usually just see crow feathers, LOL!

abb said...

Well, your least favorite lens certainly has take some lovely photos!

That George! Love him - and he loves me, I just know it! ;-)

Hilary said...

Love the photos ...and george....of course.
I have a hard time holding my zoom lens steady without a tripod...
Guess I am getting old and shaky.
Oh dear.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Love, love the pix of George! He is amazingly photogenic! C

BB said...

You know what lense you really want.. go on... it's as good as you think it is!!!

Love the pics (even if you do pick them to bits!) of George and that feather... sublime!!
:-)
BB

PS Did a pic-free post at my place. Very uncomfortable. For me anyway...

troutay said...

Lovely George, Lovely Photos!

And a gift of a feather too.

That is what I would call a perfect
afternoon

Mary said...

His "frisbee point?" I love it! At least you got some nice shots. When we went walking last weekend, we startled a little garter snake, and even with the camera in my hand and the snake under my feet, I still didn't get the shot... which my husband reminded me of at least three times over the next hour... lol

Hope everything is well. Have a great weekend. :)

The JR said...

I love George. Border Collies are beautiful, smart and make fun dogs to have around.

My sister would wrestle you down for the feathers.

Ramona

Anke said...

George is beautiful! We have a blue merle border collie named Savvy, and she is a hoot. They are so smart, quirky and funny, they're a wonderful breed of dogs.

Daryl said...

Oh me too, I love that feather even tho I was ohh ahh over George

Gail said...

He is in Border Collie heaven! I have two Borders and I love them.

Please help spread the word about my foster dog. Visit my site and type Gypsy in search.

We have collectively seven of our own and I am fostering Gypsy and trying to train her for a forever home.

JC said...

I can't get enough of your George

Anonymous said...

HI Kate - I have never posted on your site before but I have to tell you I really enjoy it. Your photos are breathtaking! Besides the fact that you get to live on a horse farm! My husband and I live on a small farm in Alberta Canada with our three horses, one dog, two cats and two birds. I am originally from Texas but have been here four years now and love it, although I do miss Texas from time to time.
Cheers,
Karen

Swetha said...

lovely shots! i have said you a million times.. i love your dog.. i enjoyed all your pics!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

That George is one lucky dog!
Nice shots!
<><

Deb said...

George rules!

Jeanne Walker said...

I always thought my dogs were/are the luckiest and most loved dogs in the world. In fact, many a friend has told me that, if there is such a thing a reincarnation, they wanted to go back as one of my dogs! George is a beauty...or should I say he is handsome! and was adopted by a great family! Happy weekend to all. (Got my pic!) Jeanne

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

It was a beautiful day today! Lovely images, as always ;0)

rxBambi said...

George is a very lucky dog, and quite a looker too...

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

These are great action shots! George has such sparkle. He's a delight!

Skogkjerring said...

I always feel guilty leaving my dogs and they always give me heck for leaving them..good to know I'm not alone in this experience..hahaha..Looks like you guys made up to George and looks like he forgave you- BUT DON*T DO IT AGAIN!! ;-)) hehehehe..the feather shot was FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!! Love how you wrote "float my boat" haven't heard that in a long time- love it! Have a great day!

Country Girl said...

Thank you everyone. Just thanks is all I can say. You make it worth the sharing I do most every day.

I love it when I rhyme without even trying. I crack myself up.

And to Karen, welcome. So glad you commented.

~ C.G.

GailO said...

I don't think it is possible to take a bad picture of George:) I am impressed that you usually use manual focus...I always do poorly using manual focus...Love the feather!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I take lots of pictures of my dog too, so I love it when other people post stories and pictures about their dog. I enjoyed your post very much.