Friday, October 30, 2009

A faux pas in the school parking lot

Long-time readers of this blog may remember my posts about embarrassing things that have happened to me. I call them my Hall of Shame. I really don’t see what’s wrong with asking your handsome chiropractor to show you again the exercises he wants you to do daily. It was nice watching him do them the first time, and since they involved bending over, when he asked if I ‘got all that’, I lied and told him no. And asked if he could please do the first two exercises again?

He looked like George Clooney. And although I don’t condone lying, I do condone saying yes to something pleasurable. As long as nobody gets hurt, you know?

I’ve also written about my star-spangled underpants and the subsequent emergency room trip as a teenager, farting in that same handsome chiropractor’s face, and a former boss who had a wrap-around skirt that didn’t have quite enough fabric.

All these posts can be found [here], if you’re that interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, this is yet another embarrassing situation for me and I’m writing it here because I enjoy making fun of myself. Besides, it made my husband laugh out loud when I told him this afternoon.

This morning, as I was coming down the road that leads to school, the radio station I was listening to queued up an old tune from the Allman Brothers Band, Southbound. If you’ve never heard it before, there’s a link to YouTube, but let me warn you, the song is almost 10 minutes long. It’s a classic Southern rock ballad and when we were young, my husband and I absolutely LOVED the Allman Brothers. My husband saw them play in ‘73 at Watkins Glen, along with the Grateful Dead and The Band. (We started dating in ‘76).

I have good acoustics in my Honda Element, so I cranked it up, turned into the long driveway to the prestigious private school where I work, and let the music overtake me.

When I finally pulled into my appointed parking spot out back, parents were dropping off their children in car line and teachers were arriving and getting out of their cars. I left the car running so I could hear some more of the song and maybe it was because I was feeling so good, maybe it was the fantastic memories the song brought back and maybe it was because it was just damn good music, but I totally. Rocked. Out. To. this song.

Allman BrosI played the air drums on my steering wheel. I rocked my head back and forth, and I’m sure I looked like an insane person but I didn’t really think anyone was looking. And for some crazy reason, I didn’t think anyone could hear how loud I was playing my car stereo.

And then, there was a knock on my window.

I jumped! It was my co-worker, Rich, who handles car line in the morning. He opened the door and was laughing at this point, and asked me if I was ok.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I was so embarrassed. I got out of the car and parents were waving, co-workers were laughing, my friend Rich was telling them that he thought I was having some sort of seizure because, you know, I’d been in the hospital a couple weeks ago. Maybe I was having an attack of some kind.

I am usually very ladylike and I never rock out to music in public. Well, not anymore, but this song just took me back and sounded so damn good in my car that I wanted to listen to it just a little longer.

I think it’s my haircut and color. Because it really does rock.

Yeah, that’s probably it!

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

PS ~ Thanks for all the wonderful comments on my husband's (er, George's) photography yesterday. If I read him some of the comments, he'll get all embarrassed, and we can't have that.

Rock on.

44 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I'd bet you and I would pee our pants sharing stories, Kate!

LOL to the extreme.

This is great, great sharing...I am most definitely leaving here with a smile :)

You ROCK, Kate.

Sugar Creek Beads said...

You are really feeling better it sounds, fantastic. Don't ever stop rocking, it can keep you young. You can find me atleast once every day rocking to the music. Loved George's pics, he did a great job! Jeanne

tracey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tracey said...

Hi, I'm commenting for the first time although I admit I've been following your wonderful blog for some time now.I know there is an official blog word for that but I can't think of it. I had to comment today because I am a teacher as well...and have done that very thing( a different song however :) ). My principal saw me and told me it proves I'm one of the "cool" teachers. hee hee...it's a good cover...

Country Girl said...

Thanks Heather and Jeanne. Tracey, thanks for commenting. (They're called lurkers)!! And I don't teach, I run the office. I'm glad it happened to someone else who would understand!

~ C.G.

susie said...

Keep on rocking. It's when you stop that you're in trouble. LOL

And if anyone thinks you look foolish, just let them wait. You'll catch them doing something too.

Another sister said...

Kate Fun

Mary said...

I love it that you are able to laugh at yourself! I have been known to sing harmony with Jackson Browne, very loud...

So rock on girlfriend!

Jeanne Walker said...

Rock on and peace out, Baby!!!!!

Char said...

my first thought was .... you go girl. and my second, third and fourth.

and i still think that.

rock on sister friend.

Deb said...

What a great way to start your day!
Sometimes it just feels good to let loose....good for you :)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

This is a great story, the only thing missing was the sound of the needle being ripped across the record when Rich knocked on the window.

Speaking of sounds, I must read the farting story. Off to do that now. (Read, not fart.)

rxBambi said...

This made me laugh out loud! I love it. My kids always get so embarrassed when I sing/dance in the car. I love that you got caught!

MrsMama said...

What a great moment! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

I enjoyed reading the rest of your Hall of Shame stories. You have a gift for writing and a wonderful sense of humor. I have a huge smile on my face now...

Stacey J. Warner said...

there is nothing better than losing oneself in music! sounds like a great time.

much love

GailO said...

OMG...You may not believe this Kate but Mr O and I first met when it was arranged by friends for us to drive up to the Grateful Dead concert in Watkins Glen in 73 together...what I remember most was being stuck in traffic for more than four hours...we never did get to the concert...ask hubby if he was stuck in a traffic jam!

Rock On Kate!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Ha haha ha ha ha haha :) :) SO funny! Kate was busted in the school parking lot!

Does that sound like high school or what? Thanks for the most excellent giggle!

Kay on south coast of Oregon said...

I hope I feel like that and rock on after I get my hair changed on Wednesday.......I've been gray/white/silver,etc. for about 15 years, so going to get a light blonde or medium blonde reverse frost on it...and pray for the best, and then find me some oldies to rock .... Kay

Sue said...

Hi Kate...I love how your co-worker thought you were having a seisure...when I'm in the car I listen to Big Band as loud as that little CD player will go...I always thing no one else can hear it.....it's escape time...Your husbands pictures are simply beautiful...I must admit that i stole the beautiful picture of dear George just to keep in in "wonderful dog file"....thank you and thank him for sharing...

Caroline said...

You go girl! That is so funny. I love the Allman Brothers...such a great band... Keep rockin! :)

Sarah Anne said...

Epic.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Okay, what I loved about this was the evidence of pure abandon! But, everyone was enjoying it...just a bit disconcerting to be surprised that you are entertainment for everyone! C

Tess Kincaid said...

He thought you were having a seizure. Oh, that is priceless. LOVE-love it!!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

HYSTERICAL and wonderful all in one!!!!! love love love the music your hubby listens to LOL... i was tellign my kids abotu the band... they had the hardest time getting what i was saying until i drug out the album!

Golden West said...

So glad to hear you're feeling so much better!

BB said...

Ummm... Walking on Sunshine (Katrina and the Waves) has been known to cause something similar in appearance to an epileptic fit in me. And according to my husband I sound like a cat whose owned rocked a chair onto its tail. But hey... you don't like it, join in and sing louder!!!

Rock on, my friend!
:-)
BB

Daryl said...

Rock on sistah!!!!!! Rock on.

Isnt he the one who thought we were axe murderers??????

CarlaHR said...

You are so definitely feeling better - isn't it great when we can get pleasure out of something as simple as a song which brings back pleasant memories. Keep on rocking!!! I hear those old songs at the Gym and they do bring me back to my youth.

Mental P Mama said...

Awesome song. Awesome post. Rock on sistah!

Unknown said...

Too funny! Everyone needs to rock out once in a while!

Rock on!

Skogkjerring said...

Hahahahaha! That was cute Kate- how wonderful that a song could move you in such a way that you forget the world around you and just "rock out"...bet it felt good and the embarrassment was a good kind of embarrassment, not like passing wind in front of the chiropractor..hahahaha...not good...
I have something for you on my blog- go check it out when you get time and have a great day/evening my friend!

LadyFi said...

Coming here from Amy at Eventryhus.

This was a hilarious - and yes, embarrassing story!

The JR said...

I've been rocking out and look at the car next to me to see somebody cracking up. Oh well, I march to the beat of my own song.

I have a Honda Element too!!! I love mine.

Leslie: said...

FANTASTIC! So glad you were enjoying the music. I tend to do that sometimes, too, but maybe not so "violently." LOL

I'll have to go check out that "farting" story. *hee hee*

Leslie: said...

OMG Kate! I just had to come back and tell you I have tears running down my face from laughing so hard! Thanks for that - it released some tension for me today! Still ROTFLOL

MaggieGem said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing :-)

Betty said...

Very funny. I have done that.
~~Hugs~~

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

:0) It is good to let go every now and again, is it not?!?

Donalyn said...

Hey, at our age, we have to rock while we still can. Though, maybe I'm better at it than you 'cause no one ever thought I was having a seizure. Well - at least not that they told me about. I realized once that my mother in law was standing on my porch looking in when I was dancing to Molly Hatchet. It was up a little loud and I didn't hear her knock. Hey - at least I wasn't in my pajamas at 1 in the afternoon - that really scandalizes her! I think I saw your husband at Watkins Glen - not sure because he was walking toward me, but maybe....

Deb said...

This was one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time!
Hey...remember the quote "...dance as if no one is wathings..."
take it to heart and just smile. You made everyone's day!

Anonymous said...

I rock in the car all the time, and sometimes when I pull up to a red light there will be a person in the car next to me rocking out too! It's a rockin' world!!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

cottage farm villa said...

KeeP RoCkin OUt GirL...it is good for the soul!! :)

Tui Snider said...

I can just envision you rocking out to your music. I love it! I can relate... I sometimes bob my head to music that, alas, is only in my head (especially in the mornings, according to my sister. I seem to wake with tunes in my mind!) Anyway, it can be embarrassing!

RoseMary King said...

I went to that same concert. I hadn't thought about that in years. My husband and I still go to concerts, most recent Paul McCartney. I screamed like a young school girl and didn't care who watched. Life is so short and I am going to grab all I can. Love to you, Kate.

Regards
Ro