Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A ride in the car on a beautiful day

Today was incredibly beautiful. Although I’m still under a bit of a fog and moving slowly, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. This morning, I took a walk using the hiking poles we bought from REI. They really made a difference. I only tried to nap on them twice and made it around the entire property one time. “Slow and steady, steady and slow, that’s the only way to go”, chanted my husband as I heard him come up behind me when I was about two thirds of the way around.

Later on, my husband asked me if I’d like to go for a ride in the car. And I swear, just being out there, moving, looking at the scenery on this beautiful day, it made my heart sing. Now I know how dogs feel when they go for the Ride in The Car. I lay back and let the air hit my face. I don’t even care where we were going, I just wanted to be away.

I brought the camera just in case.

DSC_0381 copy 2

Here we are going south over the C&D Canal (the canal that leads from the Delaware River to the Chesapeake Bay). I used to drive over this bridge every day to get to work when we lived on the horse farm outside of Chesapeake City.

DSC_0387 copy 2 

I love this little canal town and was surprised when my husband pulled into Chesapeake City, parked and asked if I could take a small walk. This is a little park here, the Pell Gardens.  The bridge we just travelled over is in the background.

DSC_0389 copy 2 

We found a small bench by the water and I sat down and snapped a few photos.

DSC_0393 copy 2 

This was a funny looking boat that was going by.

DSC_0396 copy 2 

We walked around the docks and here is yet again another photo of my husband’s back but I don’t care. I wanted to show you George, who does not have sea legs and was extremely wary of the floating docks. See that gangplank in the background? You should have seen him going over it. He looked very odd, poor thing.

DSC_0399 copy 2 

This is looking towards one of the restaurants on the water, the Chesapeake Inn. Moored out front looks to be a huge yacht, which is in the center of this photo. I love that they installed all these lovely walkways complete with benches. I needed the benches today.

DSC_0400 copy 2 

On our way back to the car, we decide to take the street route. I said yes because I knew there would be benches along the street where we were going. This is a lovely B&B where I did an install years ago with my decorator friend, Kathy. I wonder if those window treatments are still in that bedroom.

DSC_0401 copy 2 DSC_0404 copy 2

I like the old-time feel of this town. And I was especially enamored with this little lantern. When I feel better, I’m going back to see if it’s for sale at this shop.

DSC_0407 copy 2

I looked in the windows of one of my favorite shops. The town is full of this sort of thing, plus antiques and artworks.

DSC_0408 copy 2

And my favorite restaurant ever, The Bayard House, on the water. Thirty years ago, when we lived in Pennsylvania, we would travel to this restaurant because it is that good. I have never had a meal there that wasn’t wonderful. And downstairs is a unique little bar called The Hole in the Wall. They make the most wonderful bloody mary’s and it was fun bringing overnight guests here on a weekend morning and having a drink on the water and then perusing the shops of this little town.

I’ll announce the giveaway winner in the morning Thursday. As I write this post, it’s Wednesday night. I hope you’ve enjoyed my ride in the car today. I sure did!!

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

26 comments:

Golden West said...

Looks like a perfect autumn day in the company of loved ones - it doesn't get much better than that! Glad to hear you're getting out and about and moving easier as the days go by.

Mary said...

Oh Kate, I'm so glad to hear you had a good day! It was beautiful here in Jersey, too. Thanks for all the photos -- I feel like I've just taken a mini-vacation. Loved looking in the shop windows -- looks like my kind of place. :)

Deb said...

I absolutely love the porch on the B&B. I would like to sit there for awhile and watch the world go by.

Jo Whitehurst said...

So glad that you got to get out today! What a great Rx for your "cabin fever"! And, such a beautiful little hamlet!

Kay on south coast of Or said...

Kate: Absolutely breathtaking pics of Chesapeak Bay......I WANT to see that. My niece lives outside DC area in Woodbridge , Virginia. I know it isn't that far away.
But alas ! I will just dream as won't be traveling....Glad you got out and about...... Kay

ELK said...

glad your day was happy and the drive looks divine...take care, bet you were tired at night!

Cloudia said...

I enjoyed this outing!
Miss Kitty has lived on the boat for years and offered to show George the ropes.


Aloha, Friends!

Comfort Spiral

Debbie said...

The car ride was fun.....I liked seeing the sites. I can sympathize with George and the lack of sea legs. I don't care for floating docks myself. :)

Mental P Mama said...

I am so coming there when I get sick....

maillady said...

so glad you got out today. it was a beautiful day... seems to me your on the road to recovery. good for you. the photos are great. make me want to take a road trip. thanks kate, you make my day.

Sugar Creek Beads said...

What a lovely city to explore. You sound so much better today, moving around seems to have helped alot. Poor George looks a bit timid, he's just too cute. Keep getting better! Jeanne

GailO said...

Don't you just love road trips?...This looks like a beautiful destination....So glad you are out and about:)

My name is Riet said...

What a beautiful ride that was. Your pictures are wonderful as ever. I love the picture of Geaorge being so carefull.
Have a nice day

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, I enjoy taking these strolls with you, great photos of a place i've never been..thank you!.

Unknown said...

Hi Kate,
Im glad you are feeling better. Thanks for the tour of Chesapeake City...it looks so charming.

annie

Hilary said...

Looks like a great place to spend the day or weekend. I'm glad you're feeling well enough for the outing. :)

Annie said...

Lovely outing Kate...just what you needed ! And thanks for inviting us along too! That is so funny about George..if it had have been my Abbey (now gone to doggie heaven) she would have been in the water!!

Kerri Farley said...

So glad you were able to get out and enjoy the day!

CarlaHR said...

Thank you for taking us along on your car ride - what beautiful scenery (and photographs naturally). Getting out and about is the first step to recovery and you are well on the way by the sounds of it.

A New England Life said...

So glad you were able to get out and about ... and it wasn't going to the hospital!

What beautiful places. Good thing you brought your camera. Even in illness there will be slacking of the blog ; )

Your husband sounds like such a good man, Kate. He seems kind, considerate, and very concerned about your welfare. Maybe one day soon the two of you (without George) will go eat once again at the Bayard House.

Take care,
Sharon

Donalyn said...

Glad you are getting stronger Kate - one day you will wake up and suddenly feel "right" again. Lovely photos of a lovely day - we are land locked here, but we both love the ocean and visit whenever we can.

Unknown said...

That little town looks so inviting, I'd love to go there sometime. I may add it to my list.

I'm glad you are doing better!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh, I am so happy you got out on that glorious day. What a beautiful place. I have never been there!

The JR said...

Beautiful, glad you felt like getting out.

Ramona

Jill of All Trades said...

What a wonderful drive. I try to always carry my camera but you know that just doesn't happen sometimes. Glad you are feeling better.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I've been out of the loop and was coming here to catch up. Yikes, I'm so sorry you've been suffering. Glad it's getting better. Gall bladder surgeries are a lot more complicated than people realize. I had one before the laproscope stuff, and it was awful. But the attacks were awful too. Once I actually recovered from the surgery - yep, the recovery was awful, lol - but after I recovered, I felt fantastic! Better than I'd felt in years! You'll wake up one day (soon) and think, "Wow, I actually have some energy!" Or you'll start noticing things that need to be done that you've been ignoring, and actually feel like doing them. Sounds like you're on your way.