Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Days like these

Ah, early Spring. One day it's beautiful, and the next is cold, windy, and raining. Not that I'm complaining. I love Spring! And I'm really in a good mood today because Thursday is my last day at work before we close for Spring Break.
My husband keeps track of all these days off that I have. I feel bad for him because during breeding season, he works 6 days a week. He has Sundays off and that's it. And breeding season runs a long time. So he likes to count the many days that I get off from work. Just last Sunday, he'd been looking at the calendar and he commented, "Did you know that in the next 16 days, you've got off 12 of them?" He said this with a not-so-happy voice. You'd think he'd be glad for me that I get all this time off. I told him that I knew I had 12 of them off, and that I'd just forgotten to mention Spring Break to him.
Maybe I should get up every day next week and make his breakfast. That would be really nice of me. I mean, he makes us dinner every night. And tonight, he even did the dishes. By hand.
Please don't think that I sit here waiting to be served, like the Queen Bee that you all must be thinking that I am. I'm really not. My job, when I get home from work, is to take the dog out for a big walk. And I do that. Today, I did that in the rain, but it wasn't that bad. The dog is full of energy and he really needs to run and I do my part every day. Usually every day.
While I'm out, the dinner is being cooked. I love it when this happens. To me, it's like magic. I leave the house and I'm gone about 45 minutes and when I come home, voila! The house smells like heaven and before I know it, Dinner Is Served.
Now, I have asked him repeatedly what I can do to help. I'd love it if I could help. But he seems to handle the kitchen like he does with the rest of his life, and that's as a loner. Oh, well. I can live with that, too. And don't get me wrong. Sometimes, I actually do cook. I'm pretty good at it, too. It's just that I don't LOVE it. Well, not like I love photography.
I can't tell you how much I enjoy having this man make me my evening meal. But it wasn't always this way.
Oh, no. It was not.
But it certainly is now. And for those of you who know me, it's about time, isn't it? And for this, I am eternally grateful.
And he doesn't know it, but all next week, when I have off, someone is going to be getting some really good breakfasts.
Yeah, you thought I was going to say something else, didn't you? For gosh sakes, this is a family site, people!
Oh, the pictures. I took these with the macro lens last weekend during a walk with George. Then I fooled around with the vignetting effect in Photoshop, using one color for the vignette layer that I found in the flower stem from the top photo. It's almost a lavender shade and I liked the effect. I don't know why, and it's not really a Spring photo, but I love my pinecone picture. I think it's my favorite. I hope you enjoy these photos, as well. Have a great day, everyone.

11 comments:

Aunt Jo said...

Stunning!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos and I think he'll really appreciate the breakfasts. I would do anything for someone to cook me a meal.

Mental P Mama said...

Those pictures are beautiful, and I'm with Noble. I would do anything for someone else to not only cook it, but think about what to cook, get the goods and do it. Heaven. You are blessed, but you do have your own workload. I can smell the bacon now. Enjoy your vacation!

Country Girl said...

Thanks, Aunt Jo, Cathy and Mental P Mama. I'm actually looking forward to cooking next week.

And, I may even make a dinner or two, as I'll be home. Wow, I am so generous, aren't I?

~C.G.

Anonymous said...

Oh, these pictures are so nice! I just stopped by here from Pioneer Woman's site and I love your pictures! I'll be sure to return.

Anonymous said...

My husband cooks dinner most nights too. I can cook, but, well he enjoys it more.

I think that's really nice that you're going to get up and cook him breakfast next week!

Love and adore the pinecone shot!

Mary said...

My husband does sandwiches and grilling. I do pastas and soups. It all evens out in the end. All the pictures are great, but I LOVE the last one! enjoy your time off!
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Pretty pictures! It is a toss up between the pine cone & the last photo.

Breakfast would be so sweet of you. I'm sure your husband would appreciate the thoughtfulness! :)

abb said...

I think I will hang up my camera now...it's kinda like your pics are truly art - Ansel Adams....and mine are assuredly not - LHAT (Loving Hands At Home...pooh!).

(P. S. - The pine cone photo is outstanding!)

Country Girl said...

Annie! Don't hang up your camera. I'd never forgive myself!

Christine and Mary, I'm now loving the last picture, too. Thanks.

Kacey, always good to see ya.

Jeannelle said...

I like these close-ups of various plants and flowers.....and your pretty borders to set them off!