Thursday, March 20, 2008

I am curious (yellow)

Remember that movie back in the late 60's? I think I was in the 7th grade when it first came out and I really wanted to go see it. I was just curious. Yellow. Of course, there was no use in asking my parents permission and I tried to plan an excursion with some girlfriends, but someone's parents got wind of it and called my mother. So I never did end up seeing it and haven't thought about it until today, when I was trying to think of a title for this post. Ah, well.
I will tell you an odd fact about this movie that you may not have ever heard. The movie features a brief appearance by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who is interviewed by the the director about his views on civil disobedeience. The interview was filmed in March 1966 when Dr. King and Harry Belafonte were in Stockholm to gain Swedish support for African Americans.
See, you can actually learn something when you visit my blog!

Let's go on to the pictures now.

The forsythia is starting to bloom in Maryland! Shown here in this top photo is a praying mantis egg case, otherwise known as an oothica. Personally, I've never called it an oothica. I just think it sounds funny.
When the mantis lays the sack, it's whitish in color. Over the fall and winter, it dries and turns a brownish color.
Do you have any praying mantis at your home? If you do, you're very lucky. They eat all kinds of bugs. Hundreds of babies will hatch from this single sack alone, all at one time and they'll usually stay near the place of hatching.
I see them all around the place during the summer. They'll sit very still for hours and then spring on a bug, killing it. One year, we had several that would hang out near a wasp nest that was behind one of our window shutters. I have egg sacks on lots of bushes around the house. Can you imagine all the babies? It's sort of freaking me out when I think about it.

Today it rained again, drenching downpours at times. Watching the news tonight, I saw that a huge storm swept across a large number of eastern states causing severe flooding. We weren't hit very badly here, though and I hope you're all ok.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo envious of your yellow buds!! No sign on spring yet here...

Jo said...

We don't have any praying mantis here in Vancouver, but we do have lots of lovely yellow forsythia, and it's starting to bloom.

I learned two new things here today. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

well, we do learn new things at your blog, now don't we?? Our forsythia is no where near blooming. Though I have mine in a not so sunny spot. I'm sure you'll see a pic of it sooner or later though!

Aunt Jo said...

Mine are blooming too and I just love it. I haven't seen any praying mantis around here, but that doesn't mean anything.

Anonymous said...

Praying mantis are so neat. We had one last year that gradually made it's way all around the exterior of the house. Very neat little guy. I've never seen the egg sacks though, so now I'll have to be on the lookout!

Mental P Mama said...

So beautiful, and it gives me hope of what's to come. Happy spring everyone!

dlyn said...

Beautiful pics Kate - yellow always gets me! We do have PMs here, but not a lot. I haven't seen one in a couple years now.

gail said...

Your flowers leave me wanting for spring! I love yellow the best I think... especially big yellow sunflowers.

Bekah said...

Hi, I just stumpled across your blog...and I like it! You are living my childhood (and still current) dream. A horse farm. wow. Thanks for sharing with us all!

Bekah said...

haha and I can spell...really I can. Stumbled. Not stumpled...stumpled sounds so wrong somehow.

Country Girl said...

Dyln, at first I thought you had PMS where you live, and then I read it again and realized what you were really saying!

Girl, I'm so glad I published yellow today, then. Now that I know it's your favorite color, I'll keep that in mind!

Welcome, countrymouse. I love your screen name. And it's fine that you spelled stumbled silly. I do that all the tim. I mean time.

Can anyone tell I'm in a really good mood? Today is my last day of work for another (let me count them) 10 days. Sorry, I don't mean to rub it in.

~C.G.

Anonymous said...

Kate, so funny as usual. I don't know how you come up with your ideas and they just keep getting better and better, you always were a great story teller. I went to Sams club for the first time and my hubby and I were looking at the wine. I found one that made me think of you and how I should buy it for you if you make it out here. Remeber the story you told of the big deer crashing through the woods while you were doing your business?, well the wine was called...get this, I love it.....

Leeping Deer, ha ha ha ha ha ha

Love the Forsythia, just like our mother

Fave Babe

Oh, have a guilt free 10 more days off.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I mispelled "remember" and did is mispell misspell? See, countrymouse, everyone does it.

Fave Babe

Russell said...

Forsythia is a true sign of spring out here in Iowa. Every year I put some special fertilizer on my lawn (along with some stuff to keep crabgrass away) and the rule is to always apply BEFORE the forsythia leaves fall.

I will put it on in mid April. Six bags. $221.28! But it is worth it... I hope!

Beautiful photos as always.

Take care.

Mary said...

Oooh, lucky you -- we won't have forsythia for a few more weeks. The pics are beautiful! Happy spring!
xoxo,
Mary
Oh, and thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog today -- you made my day! :)

Country Girl said...

Thanks, little sister, for the compliments. I do love telling stories, too.

Russell, thanks for coming by again. I saw pictures over at Jeannelle's site today and see that there's still snow on the ground in Iowa!

Mary, I meant what I said. I usually always mean what I say. Unless I don't remember saying it.

Ginny, I really loved that Leaping Deer wine. Hope you bought some.

~C.G.

Janet said...

I love praying mantis! Our forsythia isn't anywhere near blooming, but maybe it's hiding an egg case or two. One can hope!