Monday, March 31, 2008

Excellence in Blogging award

I have had the honor of being awarded the "This Blog is Rated E for Excellent" award by Leslie at The Pedalogue. I've been reading Leslie's blog since January and we've been visiting each other back and forth. Leslie lives in Vancouver and in 2006, took an early retirement from teaching, although I think she must miss it some because she still continues to tutor young scholars. I enjoy reading her interesting posts and she's been one of my 'role-model' blogs.
I started this blog on December 26, 2007. I began blogging because I wanted to share my pictures with my sisters and some friends. I thought a blog would make a nice backdrop for my photographs. Although I'm not much of a writer, I really did it more as an outlet for my photography rather than my writing skills. I didn't open it to the public until a short time afterwards and now am enjoying a regular stream of visitors that I love hearing from. When people comment to tell me they really like a post, it makes it all worth it. I'm also liking that I can share my love of nature and the simple pictures I enjoy taking. One person wrote me and told me that she lives in the city and the only nature she sees is the two trees in front of her apartment building, ending by thanking me for sharing my pictures and my life. If my blog can make people smile, then I'm happy.
I read many interesting blogs and it's going to be so difficult to just choose ten of them to nominate this Award for Excellence. So I won't even try. I'm awarding everyone who I think deserves this award. So here goes:
I'd like to award the following, in alphabetical order, for the Excellence in Blogging Award.
To Josie at C'est La Vie, whose site I can't go a day without. Like Leslie, she lives in Vancouver, and they know each other and are friends who met through blogging. Josie is an accomplished artist, and posts her work on her site. She's an excellent writer and always has something interesting to say and I find her charming. I've learned so much visiting both her site and Leslie's.
To Miriam Lovell Dyer, a professional photographer who lives in Queens, NY. Miriam's photo assignments are always interesting and her photographs are inspiring. I love visiting her site and seeing what's new in her life. She posts some of her subjects and her pictures of children and weddings are my favorites.
To Christine, at Hogue Chronicle, who has been instrumental in helping me achieve the confidence to continue to post every day. Through her kind words and the visitors she has sent my way, I began to have a small following of people who frequent my blog. Maybe she never knew how I felt, but she will now. Visit her site which she's had for many years, and look at the pictures she takes. She's always suggesting interesting blogs to visit, as well. And if you're into organization or need to acquire those skills, this is the site for you.
To TJ at Humble Origins. Now, TJ doesn't post every single day, but it doesn't matter. When she does, it's witty and interesting. She was my very first visitor to leave a comment aside from my sisters and she's always been so supportive of me. Go visit her site and see her wonderful primtive creations made with her antique treadle sewing machine. TJ lives in a rustic log home in Missouri.
To Russell, at Iowa Grasslands, whom I met through Josie and Leslie. Russell tells us that he's a recovering attorney, who is now teaching law at a local community college near Des Moines, Iowa while helping to care for his aging parents some weekends. Russell was raised on a farm and has a lot of interesting posts concerning the old days, but not only that. Russell gets you thinking and I do enjoy visiting his site. Sometimes it just takes me back to a simpler time.
To Mary at the Little Red House, whose site is also a must-visit for me on a daily basis. Her photographs are artful, tasteful arrangements of her belongings from beautiful dishes to gorgeous flower arrangements. The other day she posted a picture of her cat lapping at a bowl of cream with the post that she just wanted us to feel as good as a cat who's found the cream bowl. Mary has exquisite taste and is a kind-hearted soul. She's a joy to visit.
To Jeannelle, at Midlife by Farmlight. Don't you love that name? Jeannelle lives on a dairy farm in Iowa and assists her husband in its management. She's involved in her community and her church. She posts every single day and is quite the photographer in her own right. I think maybe she doesn't think so. But if you visit her site, you'll see what I mean. Jeannelle's light shines through both her pictures and her words and I find comfort in visiting her site.
To Tammy, over at The Color of Home, who's got a really interesting ghost story going on at her place. In fact, she's got me hooked on it. She's had so many inquiries about it that she began a new blog just about the story itself. It's called My Paranormal Journal. Now normally, I don't go for that sort of thing, but if you start at the beginning, you'll see why it's such a good read and you'll understand why I got hooked. The Oklahoma Paranormal Society has asked for permission to film the current happenings at her home. Tammy and I have been visiting each other's sites since the beginning, too.
To Meg, at Lucchese to Louis Vuitton, who is a new blog that I've just begun visiting. Meg lives in Texas and is just such a fun person. She's a go-getter and a networker. She's on a health kick right now and is inspiring me, once I get off this bum knee, to get back into shape in both my health and my life. Her site is different from any of the others I visit and I feel really girly when I'm over there. I find myself getting the urge to shop, maybe for a designer purse or some flip flops! I just can't help it.
To Cathy, at Noble Pig, the Californian who is new to blogging but who is gaining quite a following already. Cathy's blog is a little about food, a little about wine and a lot about nothing. Now, mind you, these are her words. She and her husband are building a vineyard in Oregon from the ground up and she's invited us along for the ride. Cathy is a wine enthusiast whose reviews leave me in stitches. She also posts recipes the likes of which I've never seen before. You'll see what I mean when you visit.
To Kacey, at Wine On the Keyboard, whose blog I've been visiting daily since I began. Kacey bills herself as a boomer-blogger and has so many interesting tips and sidebars on the business of blogging. She's also an avid photographer and lives with Super Guy. He builds her things. You'll see what I mean when you go to her site. I also like it when she posts pictures of Super Guy. Did I just say that out loud?
There are many more blogs I visit and they can be found on the left tab of this page.
To these blogs I've nominated:
By accepting this Excellence In Blogging Award, you agree to award it to 10 more people whose blogs you find Excellent Award worthy. You can give it to as many people as you want but please try to award at least 10. You deserve this! Feel free to recognize blogs that have already received this award.

19 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Wow.....you must have just posted this.....I don't usually get into the comments this early.

Thank you for all the kind words about the ten blogs, and it is certainly an honor for mine to be included. Thank you!!

I just noticed the clock on your site, and the live feed thing.....cool! And your new partial profile photo is nice!

Take good care!

brneyedgal967 said...

Wow - I can't wait to check out all of the blogs you have posted about. And thank you for including me in this very special list.

So glad you opened your blog up to the public - AND don't say you don't think you're much of a writer. When you tell one of your stories, I love the way you digress... it makes your story soooo enjoyable!

Minna Dyer said...

WOW! Thanks! I can't stop smiling :)
And thanks for your words and images. I enjoy you everyday.

Jo said...

Wow! Well, congratulations on winning this award, and thank you! for passing it on to me. My goodness! Isn't blogging fun? We get to meet so many interesting people from all over the world. And the thing I have found, is that we are all different, and yet we are all the same.

I am going to check out the other blogs you mentioned now.

dlyn said...

Awesome! A bunch of interesting new blogs to visit - love that!

Anonymous said...

You are sweeter than sugar! You are so kind and nice and just all around enjoyable. I have enjoyed your blog for a long time now and feel lucky to have come across such a special place where I slow down and look at beautiful photos. Thanks a million.

Anonymous said...

You really made my day. It has been hectic and I received your comment on my blog and was honored that you would have included me and say such kind words.

Every since I stumbled upon your blog from Pioneer Woman, I've been hooked. There is something about your easy writing style, humor and good outlook on life, and of course, your photography, that keeps me coming back time and time again.

And of course, my kids beg me to return to see if there are new pictures of horses and bird feathers! LOL

Leslie: said...

Hi Kate, glad to see you've followed thru with awards to other excellent sites. I'll have to check them out. :D

Russell said...

My goodness! Thank you so much!! Coming from you, well, this is quite a compliment! YOU have such an excellent blog and I enjoy it a great deal - thanks for your kind words.

There are so many excellent blogs out there and it is nice to discover a new good one every so often!

I used to play around with model railroads, but that is a pretty lonely hobby to be honest. Blogging is a hobby where you can interact with lots of people and, well, that is pretty nice, isn't it? We, as people, are so much more alike than we are different and blogging is a reaffirmation process (whatever that means...!).

Take care.

Mary said...

Dear Kate,
Congratulations on your award -- it is certainly well-deserved. I love visiting you every day -- your photos are wonderful, and you ARE a terrific writer!

Thank you so much for including me in your list. I do know a few of the others, but I am looking forward to visiting thenm all and making some new friends!
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hey look! I won an award. Thanks. I adore coming to your blog. And, no, it's not just to look for more George pictures. Well, sometimes it is. And it's not just to see if you've left your macro lens unattended. Well, sometimes it is...

I'll go check out those links. There are a few on there that I haven't visited. Thanks!

Country Girl said...

Blogging is fun, isn't it? For me, it's a creative outlet that enables me to meet interesting people. You all deserve this award as well.

Christine, tell your daughter that tonight I publish tomorrow's post. I've got a frisky little foal that I caught with my lens on Sunday that she's going to fall in love with. He's a spunky one!

Have a great day, all.

~ C.G.

Mental P Mama said...

I think your writing is as smooth a silk...and the photos are always a treat! Thank you!

Meg said...

I LOVE your blog, but you already knew that. I am so excited for your award and HONORED that you would include me in such an impressive list, thank so much!

I have actually visited a couple of these blogs listed only because I found them through you! Blogging is so amazing and wonderful, like having penpals everywhere and getting to check in on them daily without having to wait on a letter
(remember those?)from them to find out what is going on in their lives.

Thanks again!

Ruth L.~ said...

I followed you here from Leslie's blog and . . . hmmm . . . your avitar looks familiar. Is it possible we've already met on Flickr? Small world!

tj said...

...I got an "E" for Excellence? Are you sure you're visiting the right blog? Mine has old barn siding for a header, a folky black doll for a self portrait, I talk in circles and there is no killer photography what - so - ever... I've seen these awards floating around and thought, "Wow, if I ever get one of those it should be rated "G" for Goof!" lol...

...And how sweet are you... You not only honor us with an award but you even write a lil' bio on each of us and explain why you chose each of us! You are too much girl and fun too! Thank you for the award!(*blush* w/a giggle)...

...Blessings... :o)

Country Girl said...

Mental P, you are just so kind.

tj, you've got to be kidding. Have you seen your site with fresh eyes? Better yet, have you seen some of the c**p that's out there? You are excellent. Make no mistake about it.

You all are.

Ruth D - I sent you an e-mail back. So nice to have you stop by!

~ C.G.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.