Thursday, March 6, 2008

Gerbera daisies and better days

It's coming back slowly (my energy, that is) and today after school, I ran some errands. First to Staples where I get my photo paper because finally I am going to print Rachel Hogue's feather picture. I was touched when Christine at The Hogue Chronicle commented on a post I did about two weeks ago. I had taken a picture of a blue feather and when her daughter saw it, she didn't want her mother to move away from the page. She loved the blue feather. How adorable. So I wrote to Christine and told her I wanted to send her daughter a print. And even when I saw the adorable photo of Christine's daughter entitled "Little Feet" over at Kacey's February Photo of the Month post, did it make me go any faster? Ha!

Next stop was my favorite flower shop where they now know me. I picked up a few Gerber daisies and they promised to contact me when they had leftover tropicals from a wedding or something. I even get to go into the special cooler room and choose whatever I want. They're so helpful there. So the picture I'm posting today is a lovely cream colored Gerber daisy. I took it in natural light while the sun was going down through the wood blinds in my living room. I didn't use a tripod either because I'm lazy. Nah, I was actually just tired from my walk.

George knows what time I get home from work and he's always waiting outside for me behind the fence then he rushes into the house to greet me when I come in the front door. And every day after I hang up my coat, I tell him that "I have to get changed". He knows that this is his cue to rush like mad up the stairs and then plant himself outside my closet door while he waits for me to change out of my nice clothes. God, he's so cute. I bundled up because suddenly it's terribly cold again and told my husband I was going to go a little further today. I did, and almost overdid it because I had a coughing fit I couldn't overcome. But really, I am feeling so much better. Thanks to everyone for the kind words from yesterdays' (and every days') posts.

I'm excited for the coming weekend because after Saturday morning housekeeping chores, I'm leaving for Jersey to visit friends. I'll be staying at Adrienne's house and her mom, my best friend Karen, is coming as well. Karen is really close with her daughters, Adrienne and Rene. I've known them since they very young. I'm 10 years older then Adrienne and 10 years younger than Karen. When I first met her, Karen didn't seem to like me very much. But once she decided that I was not after her new boyfriend, it was all good and we've been friends for 30 years now.

If the weather's good, we're going for a nice walk in a state park nearby, and then we're going to get pedicures. We're making a scrumptious dinner and dessert and settling down for the evening to play games and laugh. And drink some wine. I love being with them and I can't wait to see them again. My husband says it's always boring when I'm not around and I know this, but he'll have George to keep him company. Have a great Thursday, everyone!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

groan. A girls weekend. Sounds so nice. I love SuperGuy, but a girls weekend...

So now I lust after your macro lens AND your girls weekend!

brneyedgal967 said...

So glad you're feeling better and will be able to enjoy a great girls weekend together. Nothing like it. Of course, staying in and playing games, laughing and drinking wine is rapidly becoming more my speed. Bar-hopping and loud parties last weekend took it out of me.

Have a great time!

Jo said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I had the cold from h*ll this winter, and it just would not go away. So I know how you feel.

Those photos of the Gerbera daisies are exquisite. It's hard to believe they're cream, because they're such a beautiful butter yellow on your post. How did you manage to do that with just the sunlight? I would love to do a painting of them. One of the exercises I had to do in an art class was to paint a flower up close, so that all that showed were some of the shapes, and it didn't look like a flower. The effect was really nice.

These photos are so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You're so sweet to be thinking of my little one when you should be resting all that you can!

I love those daisies! Just beautiful! I'm hoping when our taxes come in at the middle of this month to splurge on a macro lens as well. :)

Anonymous said...

I love gerber daisies!! I'm having a girls night tomorrow night... but a girls weekend sounds even better!! Have fun!

Mental P Mama said...

So glad you're feeling better. This has been a bad year for all things bronchial. That last daisy picture is going to tide me over until spring...

Anonymous said...

Love the Gerbers. I think it's one of my favorite flowers. I love it's height and layers and layers of petals. Enjoy your day!

Country Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Country Girl said...

Gerbera daisies are such happy flowers. On my computer screen at work, they've taken on a dinstictive buttery hue, while at home on my laptop screen, they're much less so. I must admit to upping the yellow saturation on at least one of these. The others I left the true color. Sorry to burst any bubbles. The warmth of the setting sun also added to the buttery glow, I assume.

And if you want to see sections of beautiful flowers, you simply must visit Riva Berkowicz' blog. She's listed on this page at the left under the photos.

Thanks, everyone!

~C.G.

Mary said...

Oh, how beautiful! These are really gorgeous. I can just picture them framed in a really wide matte (sp?) and hung in a row, maybe in a hallway? They are works of art. :)

Enjoy your weekend! So glad to hear you are feeling better.
xoxo,
Mary

Jeannelle said...

Wow, the bright daisies about knocked me over! Have a great weekend.....don't overdo it, though. Its so nice what your hubby said about you.

Leslie: said...

Hi Kate, glad to hear you're feeling better and looking forward to a nice weekend with the girls. I love those photos of the gerbera daisy! It's my older daughter's favourite flower and she had them at her wedding.