Friday, March 7, 2008

I hate crying at work

We all do it, don't we? We check our personal e-mail at work and oftentimes, I even respond. Not at length like I would to my sisters, but just dropping a line or two. Today, I received an e-mail from one of my co-workers. I'm always a sucker for a dog story especially when it involves a child as well. Maybe many of you have seen this e-mail floating around. I don't know if it's an Urban Legend or not and, if it is, I really don't care. It's a good story, nonetheless. A child's mother writes the following account:

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. she asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:
Dear God, Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her, you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her. Love, Meredith.
We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.
Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, "To Meredith," in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, "When a Pet Dies". Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:
Dear Meredith, Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her espeecially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love. Love, God
If this is a true story, I love the postal employee who works in the dead letter office. I apologize for being sappy, but I just wanted to share this with you. Of course, I had tears in my eyes at school and children who came into the office were asking me what was wrong with me? I didn't even know what to say other than my usual, "Oh, I just got something in my eye."

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sniff*

You've heard of the Rainbow Bridge? That's what I read to my oldest daughter when 'Tana passed away. It made her feel good thinking of our boy waiting for her. :)

Country Girl said...

No, I haven't! I've got to check it out. I could've used it too, because after our prior border died, my husband grieved for well over a year. Enter George. Thanks for the tip!

gail said...

Oh my, that was a tear jerker.

What a wonderful person to do that.

Laura B. said...

I've seen that email...and yes it made me cry at work too. There is a special place in heaven for that postal worker.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/abbey.asp
According to snopes.com, where I go to confirm any email like that that I get, this is a true story.

Anonymous said...

Well, Darn it !! Sniff sniff, you made me grab the kleenex too . I don't usually comment,but that one was a tear jerker. I have a dog I love almost as much as my kids.And that's a lot . I can just see this child getting this gift of believing their loved pet is with God now. And ....it probably is ! Doris in Tx

Anonymous said...

Here you go:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

(Author unknown)

brneyedgal967 said...

I love Rainbow Bridge and posted a tribute to our previous shih-tzu who passed when he was 14.

Love the letter. So, so sweet. I hope she keeps that book and letter forever - it will mean so much even more as she gets older.

Country Girl said...

Oh,thank you! Only thing is that I'm at work again and sniffling again!

~C.G.

Mental P Mama said...

That is an amazing story. Every time I read "The Rainbow Bridge" I cry. I miss all my 4 legged babies.

Anonymous said...

I teared up after reading this. Animal stories always get to me. And (if it's true) what an amazing postal worker. We need more people like that in the world!

Jo said...

Okay, I'm sitting at my desk at work, and now I have tears in my eyes.

I just received an e-mail from a friend of mine in Nova Scotia, and she lost her beloved cat of 20 years yesterday. I am going to send her this lovely story.

Anonymous said...

Just when you think there aren't good people left out there...isn't that great. Even if it didn't happen I'm going with believing it did but I would like to. Wouldn't you love to do that for someone if you could?

Country Girl said...

Josie, then it's serendipitious that I posted this today.
Welcome, J & J!
Noble Pig, I would love to be able to do this for someone. I have done small things that are similar and they have always made me feel good.
Mental P, I think there are plenty of people like this in the world. We just need to hear more about them!

~C.G.

Anonymous said...

well, it's a great story and i am a postal worker. i answer santa letters too and their are a few of us left who love our job and are proud of what we do. so to all the postal workers out there , remember we are all customers too. thanks for such a great place to come to and read and relax watching someone elses life . thanks again kate, your jersey friend, peggy

Leslie: said...

Oh Kate, I'm sitting here just sobbing thinking about how wonderful that postal employee is! He or she will certainly receive a shiny gold halo upon arrival at those Pearly Gates. Thanks for sharing this. :D

Mary said...

Smiling through my tears to read all the comments. :) Aren't we all just a load of hormones? No, I guess almost anyone would be wiping away a tear at this story...
xoxo,
Mary

BITR Country Girl said...

I just found your blog and now it already has me tearing up! Love the photo's that you post on your blog. I wish some of mine turned out half as decent as yours do.

Jamie