Saturday, March 15, 2008

Smooth sailing

Didja ever have one of those days where everything just seems to sail smoothly? I went to the dentist today, expecting it to cost something outrageous and it was far less than I imagined. My laptop is back after an overnight stay at the local computer experts. It had a hinge problem, but all is well now. I had a bad scratch on my car door and a co-worker fixed it for me. And I got to spend time in the sunshine with my dog when I should have been at work. My copasetic day all started this morning with a phone call from a friend I haven't seen in awhile. This friend told me that she had been reading my blog every day and that she hadn't commented yet because she didn't want to seem like a dork. It's ok, really. I read blogs all the time and don't comment. Mostly it's because I just don't know what to say at the time. Now this person who called me today is probably one of the coolest people I know, and I can't imagine her as a dork, but don't tell her this because I don't want it going to her head, ok? When this friend called me, I thought she needed something, like to give her son (he attends our school) a message or something to that effect. But when she said that all she wanted was to tell me how much she enjoyed reading this blog and looking at my photographs and that was her only purpose for calling, I was really surprised. She said she wished she could take pictures like I do. And hearing this was a really good feeling. It totally took me by surprise and was a great way to start the day. We caught up a little on our kids, and after talking, I decided that I think she really enjoys photography but maybe is a little bit afraid to not 'be good at it'. And here's what I think. I think that if you really enjoy taking pictures, then you should just do it. If you don't have a nice enough camera to do what you want, you should save for it or do what it takes to acquire one. If photography is something you enjoy, then get a decent camera. Even some of the little point and shoots are very nice. Before I got my current DSLR camera last November, I was using a little digital Sony Cybershot. And even without Photoshop, a lot of the pictures came out really nice. A couple of them are even on the left side of this page. Prior to that little camera, I had a Nikon N60 SLR. I spent a small fortune on film and developing. I never use it anymore. Look at the photos I took of "I Take a Walk on the Wild Side" which is a couple of posts down from here. I want you to know that I took 68 pictures on that walk alone. And I posted the ones that I thought were the best. There might have been what, six? There's a few other good ones, but they weren't good enough to post. Not all of the pictures I take are the best, let me tell you. If you take 50 pictures and one of them is really good, you are having a good day. If you take 50 pictures and six of them of good, you have died and gone to heaven. At least, that's my theory. I publish this blog mainly because I want to share my photography. I'm not saying it's great, but I have always enjoyed taking pictures. Sometimes I really don't have anything to say on a particular day. But I do have some little stories that I enjoy sharing as well. I feel that a good camera, the desire to take pictures, and most of all a good eye, are the keys to a good photo. Well, that and continuous shutter speed! I keep it on the camera all the time. I don't always use it, but it's easier to leave on. For me, CSS has a two-fold purpose. One: I can capture 10 photos and get one really good one. So I'm already ahead of my 50:6 theory. And Two: The continuous shutter clicking makes me feel like a real photographer. Ha! No really, it does. Try it if you have that mode. Even my little Cybershot had that mode. I'm telling you, it really feels cool! Well, I've probably said too much already and digressed as far as one can do so. The main point of the post is to say sometimes your day will go smoothly. And today was one of those days. And thank you, Tracey, for your phone call this morning. And thank you, Rich, for fixing the side of my car. And thank you to my boss who had me arrange for coverage for the rest of the day because my dentist is so far away. And I got to spend well over an hour in my backyard in the sunshine this afternoon playing with my dog, when I should have been at work. And I only feel a little bit wicked. Wishing smooth-sailing today for all of you, as well. Oh, the pictures on this post were taken with my macro lens. I think it may be a maple tree in bud. I could get out the tree book but I'm not going to go to that trouble.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning! What a great post to read first thing with my coffee.

I just "graduated" to a DSLR camera last October. Had a sony point & shoot before that, that still took great little shots.

I, too, take tons of photos. I took like 60+ ones yesterday. Just because. The ones I use for my blog are just a small handful of the ones I take.

I must go investigate continuous shooting on my camera...

Mental P Mama said...

Love your photos--I get such a peaceful feeling when I look at them. And Kacey's, too! I am a newbie, but enjoying it all.

Anonymous said...

Well I think your photos are great and I enjoy them immensely. Unfortuneately i am one of those people who says things even when I have nothing to say, therfore I comment! Ha! You're stuck with me.

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

I think you're a fabulous photographer. It's like anything, if you enjoy doing it, chances are you're going to be good at it, because your heart will be in it. That's really what you capture when you take a photograph. You capture what your heart sees, and you pass it on to other people. And your photographs really have a lot of ♥ heart in them. :-)

(BTW, that deleted post just above was me. It was a comment I meant to put in the weekend guessing game.)

Jeannelle said...

We're all fortunate to be able to read your excellent posts and see the gorgeous photos, and be encouraged by you, and learn things about photography along the way!

I was scared to death the first time I left a comment on someone's blog.....like I would sound like a complete moron, and what business did I have commenting anyway.

gail said...

I like the shutter sound too. My first dslr didn't have it and I felt weird... I lurve my nikon. He's like a third arm.

Country Girl said...

Thanks, Jeannelle & Mental P. Kacey, hope you've found your CSS if it's there. Girl, there's just something about a Nikon.

I'm glad I'm stuck witya, Noble Pig and Josie, I heartya too.

~C.G.

Anonymous said...

I visit your site every day since I found you on Pioneer Woman's site. I never commented because I thought I'd sound stupid. Thanks for telling this story about your friend. And thanks to Jeannelle who posted above. I feel better now about commenting and I just want you to know that you need to keep doing this. Your blog is easy to read and fun. And your pictures? They make me happy!

Bethany