Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend birds

I’ve been stuck here on the property all weekend, and my plans were thwarted when the driveway froze shut Saturday night. We needed a few groceries, but have been getting by just fine with what I have stored in the cupboards.

It was cold here Saturday, and perhaps I could have made it down the driveway and back up again but when we woke this morning, it was a sheet of solid ice and by mid-morning, I knew I wouldn’t be going anywhere. I busied myself with housekeeping, a little knitting, some reading, and some bird watching out my kitchen window with my trusty camera at my side.



DSC_2420 copy 2

There’s still ice on many of the branches and I’m wondering if we’ll have a 2-hour delay tomorrow. Either way, I’ll be hiking down the driveway in the morning and meeting a co-worker who lives in the development through the woods.

I’ll be careful. And I’ll take the hiking poles with me.



DSC_2403 copy 2

These were all taken from my seat in the kitchen, though double panes of glass – some of which I noticed are not all that clean. Must address that situation tomorrow when the warmer weather hits. It’s supposed to go up to 50 degrees here!



DSC_2414 copy 2

I’ve decided to watermark all of my pictures from now on, to avoid theft. I also only upload low-resolution photos to my blog but after hearing what happened to a fellow blogger’s photos (they were stolen by someone who claimed them as his own), I’ve decided to try and combat theft in this small way.



DSC_2436 copy 2

I processed most of these photos using a vintage soft-toned action from Red Leaf Studios, and some textures from Shadowhouse Creations.



DSC_2446 copy 2

It was a bit windy on Saturday, and someone’s feathers were blowin’ in it. I think she looks pretty sweet with her crown going sideways like that.

And speaking of sweet ~ I hadn’t even noticed until looking through the photos I’d taken that I had caught a little junco jumping for joy.

That’s a whole lotta j’s in that sentence.


DSC_2431 copy 2

DSC_2432 copy 2

DSC_2434 copy 2

Ha!



DSC_2440 copy 2

Hold on there a minute . . . can I see that again?


: : :


My goals for the week include cleaning the window in my kitchen, getting my husband to hang a feeder outside it (he took them all down because of the squirrels), and researching a vacuum to purchase. I’m serious this time – the handle broke on the poor excuse for a vacuum that I’m currently using, and I can’t go on like this much longer. I’m still enamored with the Miele, and have been for years, but they’re confusing me with all the different types they have, and of course – the one I want isn’t available online from Miele (USA) or anywhere else for that matter.

May have to visit a vacuum shop . . . which might be a good idea anyway because if I’m going to be spending that much, I’d like to take a test drive.


: : :


Hope your week is a good one, my friends . . .

123 Signature[5]

43 comments:

Lee Owenby said...

Beautiful bird photos!

JaneK said...

oh my goodness! that little joyfully jumping juncoe is about the cutest little thing I've seen in awhile! too much fun! what a fun little surprise that must have been to you when you were reviewing your photos.

sucks what you have to do to protect your photos: as I said on another blog.... may very bad karma follow that person....

Anonymous said...

I adore your bird photos. Today we had at least 15 male cardinals with their mates at the feeders this afternoon. It was an amazing sight. All the flutters of red was wonderful.

Debbie from Illinois

mrs mediocrity said...

oh my gosh that just totally made me laugh out loud, love, love, love it! i was just spied a junco in my driveway today, but he wasn't as happy as yours :)

Country Girl said...

Ha ~ thank you all so much. And Debbie, I can imagine all that red flitting about. So pretty.

~ C.G.

Caroline said...

I see you are now watermarking your photos... Anyway, gorgeous shots my dear. And funny how much we can be enamored with a vacuum! It's a vacuum for godsakes! LOL

Candylei said...

Who needs to leave the house when you can bird watch such cuties? Tonight there was black ice on these little country roads and I'm glad for four wheel drive! Have a safe trip tomorrow to work!!

Skogkjerring said...

I love the effects you add to your photos...it makes them look like paintings...so beautiful. I finally bought some food for my little birdies- just need to get it out there for them.

Miele is a very popular brand here in Norway- stands for quality so they are a good choice to go with. Have a great week Kate :-)

Michelle said...

How cool is that jumping junco!?!

I have a Miele, and I must say that I did not believe it possible to LOVE a vacuum this much!

Bluebird49 said...

Holy jumping juncos, Katewoman!

I hate to hear of someone stealing pictures--or anything. :( Someone always spoiling the party. :(

Anonymous said...

I really think watermarking your photos is a great idea - they are so incredible it wouldn't surprise me if some have been used already.

I have a Miele - they're quite good with pet hairs, but they can also be fiddly to use.

CJ x

Barb T. said...

The Juncoes are so entertaining; I sit in my kitchen and watch them breeze in and out of the yard.
What great photos!

Mental P Mama said...

Oh that jumping bird is precious! And, um, there is a vacuum store right here. If you come, I'll take you there;)
xoxo

Mrs. M - The Book Lady said...

Love my turquoise Miele! It's the little vacuum that could ...

abb said...

Love that junco! And I'll go with you and MPM!!!

Daryl said...

If they still sell the Flamingo model at Miele, buy it .. both my sister and I have it and her's is at least 13 yrs old and our's is about 11 or 12 yrs old and does not owe me one penny.. and its RED! Lets all go to Mama's vacuum store (as if there isnt one right here in Axe Murderer land)

Love these pix.

Nurse Nancy said...

We had a plethora of birds this weekend too! JBM was jumping with joy like your junko...very sweet!

The JR said...

Cool pics.

All's I can say is I'm glad we don't have carpet with all the fur children in our house.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have a Bosch Starlight cleaner which I have had for many years. My cleaner says it is her favourite out of all the vacuums she uses. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Every time I see a red cardinal I am so envious and do wish we had them here.

Hilary said...

Love the jumpin' junco - so sweet. I so need a decent vacuum cleaner. Mine sucks! Oh, wait..

Jeannelle said...

Great post! I love the junco jump!

Unknown said...

Love all your bird photos I would so love to capture a photo of a cardinal but there are none to be had in my area. For a vacuum check out the Riccars they're great and US made. Far better than DYs machine.
Have a great day and I'll check in later on.

Cindy said...

Thanks for the great pictures today - I'm loving the jumping junko!

Annette Whipple said...

Love the little jumper!

I like my Oreck bc it has free annual tune ups...It is our third vacuum in 8 years, though the other two work...neither well.

It has other great perks, too, but I think that is a good selling point.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Heeehehhee, I loved all the beautiful shots of your fine feathered visitors...'not quite sure about that last bird! :o)

Have a blessed week sweetie!!! :o)

ELK said...

wow that little junco is so sweet ..what a capture my friend . I have never thought of what kind of bird my paper ones are..but today I would say a juncoe..keep warm dear!

Jan's camera said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos. I tried taking some bird photos this weekend from my sister's house. But I only have a zoom lens from one of my old Minolta cameras from the 70's so I will have to wait until I develop the roll of film. No cardinals or anything too interesting. They actually looked like robins which I didn't realize hung around all winter. I did spot a woodpecker but by the time I grabbed my camera he was gone.

Jan's camera said...

Oh and I am also looking for a new vacuum. I will have to do some research. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kerri Farley said...

Your Joyful Junco makes my heart sing! Well.... to be truthful they all make my heart sing :)

Hilary said...

I love the bird jumping.
This is my second comment, my first disappeared!!
I have a Miele, and it's the bomb....I did buy it at a vacuum shop.

spindrift,maine said...

The patient photographer gets the prize. LOVE your little Jumpko! ;o)

Donna S. said...

That series of pics is soo cute. Why would anyone want to say they took pictures they didn't? Who can you trust?

Stay safe & warm.

Carolynn Anctil said...

You take such beautiful bird photos - LOVE that perky little Junco!

Reena said...

Love that little jumping junco! Such a great capture! I have so many of those guys at my feeders but have yet to capture such a good photo as yours!

Annie said...

I love your photos, especially the little jumping bird - how cute!! Good luck with the vacuum :)

GailO said...

I had fun taking pictures of birds this weekend too but my 18-200mm lens just isn't doing it...especially after I see yours! Love that jumping junco!

I have been very happy with my Electrolux and have been for 10 or so years now...maybe they aren't even making them anymore:)

All my glorious snow is being rained away tonight...boo:(

Maria_NJ said...

Yesterday morning I swear my backyard looked like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds", I don't know but there had to be hundreds (no I am not exaggerating) of black birds all over my back lawn, it was kind of surreal, I don't think I ever saw so many birds in one place, and when they took off it was all of them, all at once...beautiful, but yet creepy...

your bird pictures are lovely...be careful on the ice...

Maria_NJ said...

oh about the vacuum, I try to buy "American made" the whole way...I have a Hoover.. it does a wonderful job, and it has a bag, I had emptying little cups!!!

thotlady said...

Lovely photos. A good idea to watermark, you just never know. I love the red fellow.

The Village Queen said...

that Junko is too precious.
Best vacume I ever had and still wish I had, a Electrolux canister. They still make them, find on the Vermont Country store calaloge and maybe website. I also got the best Hoover upright from the Goodwill, still runs like a tank.

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

What fun photos!!!! You have the cutest jumping photo ever!

I used to have a Miele and it was a very good vacuum. Now I have a Dyson Animal and like it a lot! It's lightweight and easy to maneuver, goes easily from my rugs to wood floors to carpet. I think it's so much a personal preference though.

Mary said...

Oh my goodness, that is such an amazing capture! And I love how you have processed all these photos -- absolutely beautiful! xoxo

Georgianna said...

Hi Kate, I love your bird photos so much! Dirty window or no, they are so sweet.

You're smart to watermark. It is a small deterrent but a deterrent nevertheless.

I hope your weekend is cozy and happy. xo – g